My personal experience with Libertarians - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I donate more money to charity then I spend on myself. Currently on a 3:1 ratio. Giving all of it away would be practicing the vice of excess, giving nothing would be the vice of deficiency. I have yet to locate the mean.

Each of the virtues is a state of being that naturally seeks its mean {Gk. μεσος [mesos]} relative to us. According to Aristotle, the virtuous habit of action is always an intermediate state between the opposed vices of excess and deficiency: too much and too little are always wrong; the right kind of action always lies in the mean. (Nic. Ethics II 6) Thus, for example:

with respect to acting in the face of danger,
courage {Gk. ανδρεια [andreia]} is a mean between
the excess of rashness and the deficiency of cowardice;

with respect to the enjoyment of pleasures,
temperance {Gk. σωφρσυνη [sophrosúnê]} is a mean between
the excess of intemperance and the deficiency of insensibility;

with respect to spending money,
generosity is a mean between
the excess of wastefulness and the deficiency of stinginess;

with respect to relations with strangers,
being friendly is a mean between
the excess of being ingratiating and the deficiency of being surly; and

with respect to self-esteem,
magnanimity {Gk. μεγαλοψυχι&alpha [megalopsychia]} is a mean between
the excess of vanity and the deficiency of pusillanimity.

Notice that the application of this theory of virtue requires a great deal of flexibility: friendliness is closer to its excess than to its deficiency, while few human beings are naturally inclined to undervalue pleasure, so it is not unusual to overlook or ignore one of the extremes in each of these instances and simply to regard the virtue as the opposite of the other vice.

Although the analysis may be complicated or awkward in some instances, the general plan of Aristotle's ethical doctrine is clear: avoid extremes of all sorts and seek moderation in all things. Not bad advice, surely. Some version of this general approach dominated Western culture for many centuries.
http://www.philosophypages.com/hy/2s.htm
Red_Bull wrote:Growing up in white privileged America, I got to see first hand how Libertarianism has become popular in the recent decades. Most of my classmates in high school had that same youthful rebelliousness I experienced.... I often view Libertarians as the Portland hipster equivalent for conservatives. Honestly, a Libertarian is just someone too afraid to call themselves an anarchist.
This was largely me, when I was a tween/young teen. Only, in my case it was due to three things, youthful resentment of authority, having an overwhelmingly Republican family (seriously, I have some ancestors who were Republican from the time the party was first formulated), and not having a thorough, sound understanding of socio-economic theory. But really my social class growing up has ranged from petit bourgeois to proletarian. And after I acquired more of a class consciousness, and social conscious, I've since become a left-libertarian in my ideals.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Moscow expansion drives former so called Warsaw (i[…]

Waiting for Starmer

@JohnRawls I think the smaller parties will do[…]

https://i.ibb.co/VDfthZC/IMG-0141&#[…]

I don't care who I have to fight. White people wh[…]