Google is doing seasteads - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
"Theoretically, at least, the seasteads would work like a marketplace of governance. Each seastead would be an autonomous city-state that could decide its own system of governance and rule of law. Citizens who wished to move to a seastead would then be able to choose the governance system that suits them, and leave if they were not satisfied.

The idea, Hencken said, is not to have no laws, but to develop better laws.

Ideally, there would be multiple seasteads trying out different types of governance, he explained. Those could include libertarian seasteads, but also dictatorships, participatory democracy, and even new forms of governance like a cryptographic legal code. Christians could live on a Christian seastead governed by Biblical laws, atheists could bar religion on their seastead, and so forth."

This account of it is more fitting to the NRx idea of "patchwork", than a universalized neo-lockean libertarian view of property. Though I suppose that the "right of exit" is what would be universalized here.
Technology wrote:"Theoretically, at least, the seasteads would work like a marketplace of governance. Each seastead would be an autonomous city-state that could decide its own system of governance and rule of law. Citizens who wished to move to a seastead would then be able to choose the governance system that suits them, and leave if they were not satisfied.

The idea, Hencken said, is not to have no laws, but to develop better laws.

Ideally, there would be multiple seasteads trying out different types of governance, he explained. Those could include libertarian seasteads, but also dictatorships, participatory democracy, and even new forms of governance like a cryptographic legal code. Christians could live on a Christian seastead governed by Biblical laws, atheists could bar religion on their seastead, and so forth."

This account of it is more fitting to the NRx idea of "patchwork", than a universalized neo-lockean libertarian view of property. Though I suppose that the "right of exit" is what would be universalized here.

Problem is, the marketplace of seastead governance wouldn't produce governance systems capable of addressing the basic problems of normal societies because it simply sidesteps the fundamental problem of governance (which feudal libertarianism only makes worse): land allocation. No land, no land problem.
A more realistic and interesting project would be to dock a ship full of servers in international waters. These servers would be beyond any countries laws or attempts to monitor web traffic.
AFAIK wrote:A more realistic and interesting project would be to dock a ship full of servers in international waters. These servers would be beyond any countries laws or attempts to monitor web traffic.

Hardly, laws are just opinion married to force and those opinions can go anywhere the force can go, which at least for the US is pretty much everywhere. The US has a pretty well funded navy...

https://i.ibb.co/VDfthZC/IMG-0141&#[…]

I don't care who I have to fight. White people wh[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]