CISPA looks like it will pass Farewell Internet - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Well guys in case you have not heard of CIPSA this bill is a Cyber Security bill that does little about Cyber Security and has more to do with spying on Americans. For example CISPA will allow ISP's to copy what web pages you view, e-mail, Online Purchases with Credit Cards, Onpline passwords for banking and finacial information, and should your ISP lose that information: YOU CANNOT SUE YOUR ISP. This CISPA also allows your ISP to sell your information to third parties and you can't file a lawsuit against third parties if they lose your information as well ONCE CISPA PASSES. Online Petitions being sent to your e-mails, forget it under CISPA The ISP can stop you from getting e-mailed petitions or information from the activist group you may be associated with such group LIKE ALIPAC who is against illegal immigration. This bill CISPA can also block web pages.

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/commen ... p-in-smoke

http://www.fastcompany.com/1836709/why- ... tner=gnews

This is very sad because as long as there are NO BIG BLACKOUTS, CISPA WILL PASS THE SENATE. Mozilla Firefox won't even do a blackout this time around and they oppose this bill. I remember the bailouts of wall street and people calling there Congressman and Senator and saying NO to bank bailouts, there were more phone calls against the bank bailout and the Senators and Congresspeople still bailed out the banks. My point is there are more and more internet censorhship bills coming up and unless there are protests in front of Senators buildings or blackouts of internet sites to let people know about this bad bill, CISPA WILL PASS AND BE SIGNED INTO LAW. One suggestion I have made is to call your ISP and ask them where they stand on CISPA, if they agree with CISPA boycott your internet service for 6 months. Maybe then the Senate wil know the American people do not want the internet censored, however people must be will to promote some other way then with petitions and phone calls. We need feet on the Street to protest CISPA. The internet won't be the same if we don't. However what where doing right now really is not helping.

First TRY TO CALL THE SENATE AT 2022243121 and tell them NO to Cispa and then call your ISP and threaten to cancel them if CISPA is voted into lawwith CISPA is a bad bill that violates Americans 4 th Amendment rights. WE MUST STOP IT NOW.

Try as well to sign this petition to stop CISPA if you wil, THANK YOU.

https://secure.aclu.org/site/SPageServe ... =SEM_CISPA
yes but only if every republican bans together to do it, and not all republicans (in fact a majority of them) are not tea party.

of course i dont like the tea party much so im not just being defensive, i just haven't heard anything about the tea party supporting the bill.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/27/cispa-passes-the-house-with-tea-party-support/

206 out of 242 House Republicans voted in favor of it. The fate of the bill is uncertain in the Senate but Obama has promised to veto it, so it will probably not pass the Senate. This is indeed, the Tea Party trying to score political points with a doomed bill that everyone hates.
bravo15 wrote:Well guys in case you have not heard of CIPSA this bill is a Cyber Security bill that does little about Cyber Security and has more to do with spying on Americans. For example CISPA will allow ISP's to copy what web pages you view, e-mail, Online Purchases with Credit Cards, Onpline passwords for banking and finacial information, and should your ISP lose that information: YOU CANNOT SUE YOUR ISP.

If you don't want the world to read it, you shouldn't be sending it plaintext anyway. There's nothing your ISP can do to understand properly secured communication. If CISPA becomes a problem, people will just start implementing proper security measures as a routine matter. If the ISP can't understand it, they can't filter it.

This CISPA also allows your ISP to sell your information to third parties and you can't file a lawsuit against third parties if they lose your information as well ONCE CISPA PASSES. Online Petitions being sent to your e-mails, forget it under CISPA The ISP can stop you from getting e-mailed petitions or information from the activist group you may be associated with such group LIKE ALIPAC who is against illegal immigration.

Thereby creating a market for secure communications for activists--which, incidentally, will probably help people in more restricted states circumvent government surveillance too.

This bill CISPA can also block web pages.

As many have pointed out, the internet community generally views censorship as damage and routes around it. And that's very, very easy to do. Even if the ISP is the enemy. Just ask any ISP that's been trying to stop bittorrent traffic.

This is very sad because as long as there are NO BIG BLACKOUTS, CISPA WILL PASS THE SENATE. Mozilla Firefox won't even do a blackout this time around and they oppose this bill. I remember the bailouts of wall street and people calling there Congressman and Senator and saying NO to bank bailouts, there were more phone calls against the bank bailout and the Senators and Congresspeople still bailed out the banks. My point is there are more and more internet censorhship bills coming up and unless there are protests in front of Senators buildings or blackouts of internet sites to let people know about this bad bill, CISPA WILL PASS AND BE SIGNED INTO LAW.

It's probably best to let the government operate under the mistaken impression that they can actually enforce such a law and achieve the results they intend. By demonstrating clearly the problems with an insecure internet, they will only encourage people to engage in proper security--which, incidentally, will also prevent them from being able to snoop on you or censor content.

One suggestion I have made is to call your ISP and ask them where they stand on CISPA, if they agree with CISPA boycott your internet service for 6 months. Maybe then the Senate wil know the American people do not want the internet censored, however people must be will to promote some other way then with petitions and phone calls. We need feet on the Street to protest CISPA. The internet won't be the same if we don't. However what where doing right now really is not helping.

Honestly, fighting the political battle is a losing fight. Eventually they'll pass legislation that does this; might as well let it happen and route around the damage. If they want to ruin DNS, all that does is create an incentive for others to create a fundamentally secure (I.E. protected) alternative.
Blue Puppy wrote:http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/27/cispa-passes-the-house-with-tea-party-support/

206 out of 242 House Republicans voted in favor of it. The fate of the bill is uncertain in the Senate but Obama has promised to veto it, so it will probably not pass the Senate. This is indeed, the Tea Party trying to score political points with a doomed bill that everyone hates.

Well, Obama signed NDAA, so it'll be truly funny if he signs CISPA and it ends up being thanks to the Tea Party. I'll love that irony.

71% of the Tea Party affilated members voted "Yes". :lol:
World War II Day by Day

On paper, and to a great extent in practice too, […]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]