Grassroots Appeal - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talking about and organise marches, demonstrations, writing to your local Member of Parliament etc.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By grassroots1
At this point in time, I feel that it is necessary to relay some observations about the situation at UC [lala land], and whether and how students should go about fighting the budget cuts and the general lack of sufficient higher education in California. There are important questions that need to be anwered: who should we target? How do we organize ourselves? What effect can we have as a united student population?

First, it is important to consider some raw numbers. From 2000 to 2010, according to information taken directly from the UC Office of the President, the teaching staff went from 44,955 individuals (part time and full time) to 58,684. In the same period, the amount of Senior Management staff and other administration went from 5,339 to 9,311. That is the difference between an ~25% change in the teaching staff, and an ~90% change in the management. In 1993, there were only 341 people under the “executive” classification, managing 39,458 teachers. Given the drastic difference in payment between these two groups, it is clear that the administration of the UC system does warrant some criticism.

This is especially exemplified given certain events in December of 2010, when 36 UC executives making $250,000 signed a petition demanding that the UC increase their pension, backed by a threat of lawsuit. The timing of this demand was astounding—amid drastic cuts in education—and required a clear blindless of or lack of concern for the situation of the California educational system as a whole. An image comes to mind of piranhas taking their last mouthfuls of a dying beast.

All that said, the arguments of the UC regency that our complaints should be directed toward the state deserve some recognition, and have some merit. We cannot keep our eyes focused on simply the administration of our university, and we need to train our criticism not only on the excessive salaries of some dubiously necessary UC executives, but also on a state system that has provided funding to private companies to run our prison system, and does not provide sufficient services for its poor and desperate citizens.

All of that said as well, we must consider the fact that our state’s budgetary problems are not only the result of misspent resources, but are also the result of a national contingency whose income is already heavily taxed to provide social security, medicare, and, most importantly, funding for the US military and our “national defense.” We are American people, and our government is intended to represent our opinions, and regardless of how one may feel about the fact, this is how our tax dollars are being used on an international basis. All of this screams and cries for the one thing which has been lacking in America for the last century: organization.

Historically, student unions have served as the forefront for political change and political organization. Here in [lala land], the student union is a place where people can go to play ping-pong and playstation. It is time for us to come together and become politically aware as our Egyptian and Libyan brothers and sisters recently have, and it’s time for us to take charge of our government and begin to play a role in our collective destiny, and not to passively drink, smoke, fuck, and sleep. Find purpose in this struggle to determine our future.

I wrote this, I'm interested to hear honest feedback on the piece. Does it generate an emotional response, does it inspire action, does it seem dorky... whatever. I'm not interested in politeness, I'm interested in genuine answers, for the sake of honing my own abilities. Thank you.
By Kman
It sounds pretty good, much more serious tone than im used to from you. :D

Although im not sure what it is you want to achieve with it, you want them to start protesting the high wages of UC bureaucrats or is it meant as a sort of general wake up call?
By grassroots1
Kman:

Jesus, I guess it's more the latter. I think there needs to be a student union in the UC system. I know there are a couple parts that come off a little choppy or dorky right now, I need to clean it up a bit. I'm gonna submit it to opinion sections of school newspapers and maybe give it to some friends in activist organizations on campus. But this all assumes that it's worthy of that.

The original version also had a final line: "if this speaks to your beliefs, then please send an email to the address at the bottom of the page." And then there was an email.

Thanks for the feedback, Kman.

You say you're at UC? I know someone doing a post-grad there and I could run it past them if you want.

I would love that, thank you. Thanks for the feedback too, TCR.
By Dave
Egyptian and Libyan brothers and sisters? Are you fucking joking?

Other than that fairly reasonable. I love how it's becoming increasingly mainstream to say that higher education is a racket.
By Oleh Hadash
Aside from me being surprised the someone like grassroots1 might ever recognize that civil servants (unionized teachers) are a huge part of the problem, the rest of the piece is typical grassroots1: obscure criticisms of national defense and trivialization of the necessity of it, meaningless feel-good claims of solidarity to Libyans and Syrians, and a one-liner jab at prison funding. Colour me completely unimpressed.

My opinion is that it's much too broad. Focus on attacking the teachers and their demands for money and drop the irrelevant commentary on unrelated matters. I'd also attack the wide range of fake courses available at universities posing as academic studies. I remember a friend showing me work from one of his social science classes which included an examination of how cell-phone penetration affected the social development (particularly the romantic component) of single Palestinian women, being taught by some African professor who was as dumb as some of the posters in here. Considering that's the kinda thing that grassroots1 is probably studying, a fake education, I find it unlikely that he'll criticize the universities for offering such trash courses and fake degrees.
By eugenekop
grassroots, start thinking about solutions instead of pointing out problems and exercising in rhetoric. Otherwise you'll end up like Obama, and no intelligent person should aspire to that.
By Oleh Hadash
eugenekop wrote:grassroots, start thinking about solutions instead of pointing out problems and exercising in rhetoric. Otherwise you'll end up like Obama, and no intelligent person should aspire to that.

Well said.
By grassroots1
Focus on attacking the teachers and their demands for money

He says from Jerusalem... teachers are not the problem here, Oleh. Teachers are underpaid. There are many layers of bureaucracy who earn two, three, four times the salary of the average teacher, and as you can see from what I wrote, the proportion of administrators to teachers has been rising. That means part of the problem is in the way we allocate our funds. Also, since the amount of state funding we receive has been dropping while the number of applicants increase, for the first time this year the amount of money the UCs make from tuition has become greater than the amount of state funding we receive.

The issue of military budget corresponds to this issue because I personally believe that as a nation, we should be prioritizing things like education and health care instead of wars which don't appear to have any purpose or benefit to the American people.

I remember a friend showing me work from one of his social science classes which included an examination of how cell-phone penetration affected the social development (particularly the romantic component) of single Palestinian women, being taught by some African professor who was as dumb as some of the posters in here. Considering that's the kinda thing that grassroots1 is probably studying, a fake education, I find it unlikely that he'll criticize the universities for offering such trash courses and fake degrees.

I'm a history major buddy you can fuck off.

grassroots, start thinking about solutions instead of pointing out problems and exercising in rhetoric. Otherwise you'll end up like Obama, and no intelligent person should aspire to that.

We can unite over problems, we can develop pragmatic solutions later as a student population instead of sitting in some back room arguing with people who hardly have a grasp on reality. Ideally we would have a representative student body, but people just don't care enough right now to be willing to participate in something like that. My solution is ultimately that we should decide together what to do about the situation, which we can all agree is fucked (in Santa Cruz, I don't expect you people to agree with me).

Egyptian and Libyan brothers and sisters? Are you fucking joking?

Well I would expect you to say that, Dave. Brothers and sisters in fighting for a genuine democracy, sure.

Other than that fairly reasonable. I love how it's becoming increasingly mainstream to say that higher education is a racket.

It IS a racket...

Also I'm interested that this thread was resurrected...
By HoniSoit
Good writing. I am just wondering whether the line 'not to passively drink, smoke, fuck, and sleep' is necessary - not because it says 'fuck' but because your aim is apparently to inspire rather than to blame.
By grassroots1
Thanks Honi, it was kind of a joke because all I've been doing is jerking off (not literally, ok yes literally) and I assume other people are doing the same, while still periodically thinking about these issues. But I read this recently and was caught up by that line as well, and I think if I do actually send it out, I won't include that line. Also the piranhas line.

Thanks for your feedback.
By Oleh Hadash
grassroots1 wrote:He says from Jerusalem... teachers are not the problem here, Oleh. Teachers are underpaid. There are many layers of bureaucracy who earn two, three, four times the salary of the average teacher, and as you can see from what I wrote, the proportion of administrators to teachers has been rising. That means part of the problem is in the way we allocate our funds. Also, since the amount of state funding we receive has been dropping while the number of applicants increase, for the first time this year the amount of money the UCs make from tuition has become greater than the amount of state funding we receive.

How are they underpaid? What are the average educational requirements to be a teacher in the USA, considering there are likely different standards in different states? An undergraduate degree and perhaps a year or so of teaching college? Then compare that to other professions with similar educational requirements. Teachers have exceptional job security, long vacations (which give extra time to make additional income either as a summer school teacher, tutor, or anything else they might be able to do), great benefits, and a good pension. I'm sure once you take all of that into consideration, teachers' salaries fare much better than professions with similar educational requirements. I don't believe this lie that teachers are underpaid across your country. Want to see underpaid teachers? Come to Israel. You wouldn't believe me if I told you....

There's this interesting American guy I've seen talk about education on the mass media circuit named Stephen Perry. Perhaps you've seen him also. Although it's somewhat tangential considering that he focuses more on educational quality that funding issues and wasteful spending, he's interesting to watch - and he is critical of teachers' unions that protect bad teachers.

The issue of military budget corresponds to this issue because I personally believe that as a nation, we should be prioritizing things like education and health care instead of wars which don't appear to have any purpose or benefit to the American people.

It doesn't help advance your argument and is simply pandering to your fellow peace-at-all-costs leftist brethren.
By grassroots1
How are they underpaid? What are the average educational requirements to be a teacher in the USA, considering there are likely different standards in different states? An undergraduate degree and perhaps a year or so of teaching college? Then compare that to other professions with similar educational requirements. Teachers have exceptional job security, long vacations (which give extra time to make additional income either as a summer school teacher, tutor, or anything else they might be able to do), great benefits, and a good pension. I'm sure once you take all of that into consideration, teachers' salaries fare much better than professions with similar educational requirements. I don't believe this lie that teachers are underpaid across your country. Want to see underpaid teachers? Come to Israel. You wouldn't believe me if I told you....

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/teacher-pay-around-the-world/

Red_Barn and TIG would be better to debate with on this issue. In all honesty, I'm not here to debate about these issues, especially with someone who is only guessing about the problems that face this institution. I've gone to school for 3 years now, teachers might be a part of the problem but there are some issues that are much more GLARING, which I feel need to be addressed.

I resent your suggesting that I'm studying useless topics, by the way.

There's this interesting American guy I've seen talk about education on the mass media circuit named Stephen Perry. Perhaps you've seen him also. Although it's somewhat tangential considering that he focuses more on educational quality that funding issues and wasteful spending, he's interesting to watch - and he is critical of teachers' unions that protect bad teachers.

I'm sure he is...

It doesn't help advance your argument and is simply pandering to your fellow peace-at-all-costs leftist brethren

Then doesn't it help advance my argument? :|
By Oleh Hadash
You don't want to debate it? Fine. That link doesn't support the lie that American teachers are underpaid.

If you really want to do make that argument, then start domestic. Compare the educational requirements to become a teacher and compare it to the average salary of people with similar education (and don't forget that more highly educated teachers get paid more), and don't forget to factor in benefits and vacation time.

That link is just out-of-context bullshit comparing teachers' salaries from other countries. Who cares what the proportion of teachers' salaries is as a share of GDP? Could there be any more irrelevant factor towards advancing the (false) argument that teachers in the USA are underpaid? How about the fact that none of the statistics in those charts take into consideration varying tax rates between different countries, which greatly impacts net income? Anyways, it's not an argument you can win, because I think you know as well as I do that you've staked out a false position without actually having examined it. You're unwittingly parroting the never-ending refrain of American teachers' unions: WE'RE UNDERPAID AND THAT'S WHY WE DO A TERRIBLE JOB EDUCATING AMERICAN YOUTH.
By grassroots1
That link doesn't support the lie that American teachers are underpaid.

It's information, that's the only reason I posted it. The lie? If anything, it's a myth, and not one I even mentioned in the original piece. In other words, it has nothing to do with anything... you're just trying to provoke me into a debate in a thread I started for a very specific reason, and I have no intention of participating.

WE'RE UNDERPAID AND THAT'S WHY WE DO A TERRIBLE JOB EDUCATING AMERICAN YOUTH.

:| Weren't you the one the other day calling people out for having a "perverted obsession" with Israeli politics? What makes you think you know anything about this subject? You clearly haven't researched this issue either, which means you're just parroting the conservative position: TEACHERS ARE GREEDY AND UNQUALIFIED, or whatever the fuck. At this point I really couldn't care less.
By eugenekop
grassroots, you say the system is fucked up, as compared to what? To Europe? To the United States 20 or 30 years ago?

Regarding education, you've spent so much time on this forum, can you provide concrete steps to tackle this problem? The libertarians on this forum have offered their solution, which is less regulations and more private schools and competition. What is your solution beside rhetoric?
By grassroots1
grassroots, you say the system is fucked up, as compared to what? To Europe? To the United States 20 or 30 years ago?

Regarding education, you've spent so much time on this forum, can you provide concrete steps to tackle this problem? The libertarians on this forum have offered their solution, which is less regulations and more private schools and competition. What is your solution beside rhetoric?

My solution is more along the lines of reforming the educational system that we have, as opposed to scrapping it altogether and hoping the market takes care of the problem. I don't know what these reforms need to be in particular, I'm not going to pretend that I know the particulars of this because I don't. The problems associated with our educational system are complex and extend even into the economic well-being of citizens. What I do know is that there are some very concrete things in America that need to be changed: our government responds more to the interests of business than it does to the American people. We spend $800 billion to pad the pockets of war profiteers instead of paying attention to the well-being of our own citizens. We have a consistent interventionist stance in foreign policy. These are things we can begin to organize around TODAY, since I've already done plenty of talking. I've talked more than I ever could have needed or wanted to.

I don't claim to have all the answers and I would be wary of any person who did, but there are some obvious particulars like our move away from a genuine democratic process in this nation, which need to be addressed. I really didn't create this thread with the intention of debating the content of the letter.
By eugenekop
I still don't understand your solution to the problems in education. Without solution your letter smells just like Obama's change, empty words.
By grassroots1
It's not intended to be a piece that soberly and accurately lays out a program for reform, eugene. It's supposed to be visceral, emotional, and inspiring. It's supposed to present the problems that we all experience succinctly, and unite us under that banner of "change" without concretely defining what that change should be. What I'm interested in is opening up a dialogue on these issues and generating an interest in them, I'm not interested in running for any kind of office like Obama was or claiming that I know the solutions to these problems.

Again, as you've even said, I've spent plenty of timing sitting in a back room thinking about what should be. Know that I'm committed to democratic principles, honesty, and integrity and that should be enough for you, shouldn't it? Don't you agree that something needs to be done about the interventionist stance of America, about our consistent interference in foreign affairs, about our dismal educational system, our prison-industrial complex, our military-industrial complex, our health-industrial complex? Anyone with eyes can see the problems that exist in American society.
By Oleh Hadash
More facts and recommendations, and less leftist San Fran Sicko rhetoric. If your objective was to inspire, I would describe the little write-up as a total failure.

@FiveofSwords & @QatzelOk A fact check c[…]

The billboards that you pass in your car every da[…]

Why do you disapprove? how do you reason about th[…]

Biden is right in demanding an evacuation plan for[…]