Waiting, preparing, taking action, laying the foundation? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talking about and organise marches, demonstrations, writing to your local Member of Parliament etc.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

I have a question for those who consider themselves supporters of revolutionary change in world economic and political systems. (Everyone who does not fit this description, thanks for reading. I hope I don't offend you if I invite you out of this discussion.)

How do you conceive of your role in the revolution? I was watching a talk by Zizek today on what it means to be a revolutionary, and I wondered about all the people in the audience, all the people who write and think and speak about revolutionary theory, practice, and methods. (Including myself.)

I'm a teacher, and I really believe that information and awareness are the most urgent ingredients needed for transformative change in the world today. But sometimes I feel like it's not enough. All the theorizing and conversating seems well and good, but it's hard to shake the feeling that it's simple navel-gazing. Like these are ways to keep us spinning our wheels while nothing really changes.

On the other hand, I can only laugh at concepts like the Attentat, as promoted by Goldman and Berkman. (And not just because I believe that violence of this sort is morally unjustified.) The idea of jump-starting a revolution while so many folks lack a theoretical awareness is just absurd.

So, are you waiting, preparing, taking action, laying the foundation for future action, or what?
By Verv
No revolution will happen while the middle class has money in their wallets.

Wait.
By Suska
I'm treading water, you can't really see what's going on while you're swimming. I think I've got a good view where I'm at, but it doesn't always look hopeful.
By Scartol
Verv wrote:No revolution will happen while the middle class has money in their wallets.
Wait.

If this is true, then wouldn't it make sense to exacerbate the disparity? Advocate for policies that will make things worse? (I personally feel that information is more key to a future revolution than desperation.)
By Suska
Money is an issue, age is an issue too. It doesn't make sense to exacerbate disparity. So long as a majority of youth are more interested in beer and sex and have some work or school to do you would just wind up on your own. Its important we keep trying to teach them though. Older people are being selfish when they just want to "glide into home" but maybe there aren't a whole lot of ways an old person can catch the attention of a youngster these days. I agree that information is important.
By Melodramatic
I believe in waiting. Teaching and theorizing is good in the mean time, and I'd even support small scale rebellious actions but the idea of a revolution is absurd as the elite are clearly in complete control of most nations and have the unknowing support of most of the population.

The skies will burn, and their cities shatter with their tyranny falling to the ground. it is inevitable. Than the survivors who will try to rebuild society will have to choose whether to play the game of tyrants again, try to have the "good" tyrant in charge this time, or resign form the game all together and move towards true freedom. that is where my beliefs matter, in making sure that they do not fall in to tyranny again in the naive belief that they can use it to make a better world. its a game of tyrants and the corporate elite will always win, and than fall like all tyranny.

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]