Celebrating the royal wedding - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talking about and organise marches, demonstrations, writing to your local Member of Parliament etc.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Old Brit
Im sure William and Kate would love to have a private ceremony, however they are not going to get one. The choice the republicans can make is simply between letting people have a cheerful, happy and un-spoiled day or not. Trying to disrupt the royal wedding is bad for everyone, it is an attempt to ruin the day for William and Kate, it will spoil the enjoyment for all the observers and it will also do the republican cause no favours either, it will simply paint them as spoil-sports by the monarchists (who are still very much the majority in this country).

I also very much dispute the implication of the article that William is opposed to the monarchy, what it actually implies is that he hates the attention that comes with being a member of the royal familly and that given the choice he would prefer to have been a normal person. The fact that he has not spoken publically in any anti-monarchy role implies he is ready to shoulder the press attention and get on with the duty he knows will one day be his.
By The Clockwork Rat
Old Brit wrote:The fact that he has not spoken publically in any anti-monarchy role implies he is ready to shoulder the press attention and get on with the duty he knows will one day be his.

That doesn't make sense; surely it would put greater attention on him were he to say that he is against the monarchy. Can you really not imagine the media frenzy? It would make the current circle-jerk look like a few friends pecking each other on the cheek.

Needless to say, I think there are bigger fish to fry, and the monarchy is a few items down the list of institutions to abolish.
By Old Brit
The ClockworkRat wrote:That doesn't make sense; surely it would put greater attention on him were he to say that he is against the monarchy. Can you really not imagine the media frenzy? It would make the current circle-jerk look like a few friends pecking each other on the cheek.

True perhaps, my point was simply that theres no evidence that William is against the monarchy as a principle however.
By Stormsmith
ingliz wrote:... at an estimated £50 - 80 million.

For republicans and anti-monarchists who are concerned with this, consider your own contribution to this estimate.

Prosthetic Conscience wrote:I think Johann Hari destroys these points quite well today:

Really? Seriously? This all-Americanesque nit-wit is presupposing the private sensations of people, and to be able to forecaste the future. He makes republicans sound as if they are unusually suceptible to spin. For all he knows the young couple may be delighted to have the nation cheering them on. The policing will keep the anti-monarchists some distance away.

Old Brit wrote: The fact that he has not spoken publically in any anti-monarchy role implies he is ready to shoulder the press attention and get on with the duty he knows will one day be his.
The ClockworkRat wrote:More importantly, there's no evidence that he isn't

True, CWR, but failing to confirm or deny is simply consistent with the family's approach.
By Prosthetic Conscience
Stormsmith wrote:Really? Seriously? This all-Americanesque nit-wit is presupposing the private sensations of people, and to be able to forecaste the future. He makes republicans sound as if they are unusually suceptible to spin. For all he knows the young couple may be delighted to have the nation cheering them on. The policing will keep the anti-monarchists some distance away.

Yes, really. He correctly points out the stupidity of saying Republicans are 'trying to spoil their wedding day', when Republicans are quite happy with the couple getting married; it's the idiotic media circus, and fawning by people who don't know them at all, which the Republicans are objecting to. And the evidence shows that the couple hate the media circus too. It's not Republicans who witter on about Kate's weight, or who pushed the sales figures up for the paparazzi photos that indirectly led to Diana's death.

"All-Americanesque"? He's British.
By Stormsmith
If that were true, then people would be opposing the media, not the wedding. Not once have I heard of a picket going up in front of the Daily Mail et al. No one has proposed a boycott of newspapers. No one has suggested a mass turning off of television on any day, not even the wedding day.

As for fawning, 1. one person's fawning is another's cheering on. Are republicans denying other people the right to an opinion, or just the right to express that opinion? And 2. by suggesting people are indeed "fawning" are they telling us that they have somehow managed to invade the hearts of others, to have the ability to read other peoples' minds? Wow! A party of Karnacs!! How exciting!

Yes, I know. 'Esque' means "in the manner of" or in the style of". If I had meant to claim he is an American, I would have said so by writing, "This all-American nitwit..."
By Plaro
I'm going to celebrate the even indeed! Long live the prince......and his future wife!
By sazerac
What's going on? They seem to be on a completely different time than us. It says LIVE. Where is this place?
By Rich
Well, I'm a hardcore Republican, but I do find these events fascinating, but then I find those old films of Nazi rallys fascinating. Both categories of ceremonies are about equal on meaningful content - absolutely zero, but when it comes to style the SS owned the British monarchy. I shan't be demonstrating because these people are not worth my time. If I ever get married (unlikely because I detest the institution of marriage) Will and Kate are welcome to come along and demonstrate at it, if they haven't got anything better to do with their time. Anyway that Kate Middleton's quite tasty. I hope their marriage falls apart quickly.

The number one issue with Monarchy is that Republicans can't vote in the house of commons, without making a grovelling declaration of loyalty. Although I have little time for Irish Nationalism I would prefer Republicans to join the Real/Continuity IRA rather than grovel before Saxse-Coburg scum. My message to Monarchists is simple: start treating us with some respect and I'll start treating you with some respect.

Edit: I see they've been declared as "Man and Wife". This emphasises his independent identity, while also emphasising that her independent identity has been terminated, now she's just an appendage to her husband. In olden times, say back in ancient Rome a husband had the power of life and death over his wife and children, never mind conjugal rights, if a man wanted to fuck his wife or his kids, it was no business of anyone else. People love ceremonies and titles that made sense in earlier more barbaric times.
By Section Leader
Rich wrote:Although I have little time for Irish Nationalism I would prefer Republicans to join the Real/Continuity IRA rather than grovel before Saxse-Coburg scum.

I am opposed to the monarchy, but I don't have any time for terrorists either.
By sazerac
I kept the people of my neighborhood informed of the wedding in a blow by blow account as it occurred. Nobody wakes up as early as I do. The Prince was tall and habdsome. I don't like him doing all that dangerous helicopter stuff.

Miss Kate was startlingly good looking even behind her veil. I was hoping she had taken at least a couple of Xanax.

Imagine our concern when there was no wedding kiss! That would mean they are not really married. Who are these people, the Duggars? Nobody from the Poyal family called me and let me know the kissing would be a special event later.

I'm worried that rascal Harry has something evil planned for the honeymoon car. Wills will have his revenge.

If William isn't king by the time he's forty he should come be our president for 8 years. We don't really care where our presidents are from. Or he could say he's from Iowa, the Aloha state, and tell people to prove he is not born there.

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]