Closing Innovation Gap - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Fasces
Unthinking Majority wrote: I'm more than willing to discuss topics around China or China-US relations if they're offered up in good faith. It's not going to happen here.

Unthinking Majority, un prompted, and completely off topic in a thread about ethical billionaires wrote: When has China invented anything ever in the last 30 years without stealing it? :lol: This is 21st century Chinese imperialism. Extracting silver and hauling it back to the metropole like Spanish conquistadors. But yeah, they have the moral high ground lol. Show me power and I'll show you some dirtbags abusing it.

One thing I will say to Musk's credit, looking through his company's patents: https://patents.justia.com/company/tesla

This is a man who recognizes the innovation coming out of China & India and how to capitalize on it.

It also suggests that the OP is underreported, if anything, due to its limitation on 'country of research' rather than 'country of researcher'.

----------------

Carnegie Endowment wrote:
Conventional wisdom often suggests that technological breakthroughs proliferate in an environment of free markets, free speech, and democracy. In short, if you want to innovate, you need to operate like the United States. But over the past twenty years, China has transformed from a technological backwater into an innovation powerhouse.

Fasces wrote:China on track to dominate development of critical future technologies, ASPI report says

How much of the research is stolen? How much of it is built on a foundation of stolen tech?

I would have to imagine that the Chinese have attempted to steal tech and research within any company or institution worth the effort.
[quote="Fasces"]Unthinking Majority, un prompted, and completely off topic in a thread about ethical billionaires wrote:[/quote
Lies. :roll: There goes the "good faith".

Also, what I said before no longer applies. Fuck China. But we gave them capitalism and let them steal our IP and made them extremely rich, they can thank us later when they steal Musk's Neurolink tech and hack into our brains.

If it were up to me I'd ban them from every country, business, and institution on the face of the planet and tell them "well, we tried. Also, thanks for COVID".
By Fasces
You sound like Trump in the 80s harping on about the Japanese, the Americans in the 50s harping on about Germans, or the British in the 1800s harping on about Americans. Countries use "stolen" tech as a platform and then innovate. Iteration is innovation. These days, China is a world leader in green industries, AI, networking and structural engineering - on the innovation and technical side of things.

You're deluding yourself on what China is these days, but whatever. Though, for a guy who unabashedly supports realist perspectives and power hegemony, the whining about "boohoo our stolen IP" just comes off as pathetic and weak.
Fasces wrote:You sound like Trump in the 80s harping on about the Japanese, the Americans in the 50s harping on about Germans, or the British in the 1800s harping on about Americans. Countries use "stolen" tech as a platform and then innovate. Iteration is innovation.

The U.S. has been passing a series of laws over the last couple of years criminalising the transfer of information and technology.

A few foreign nationals have already been sentenced to a long time in prison.

one story about it here
Researcher who sold medical technology to China sentenced to 33 months prison

You made a post laying out facts without telling […]

Right wingers and capitalists and free marketeers[…]

@FiveofSwords You appear to be amused that the[…]

Indeed, and you know what? Even that isn't a reas[…]