The Madness of Groupthink - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Rancid wrote:Anyone who bothers to even look at those meme's is wasting their time.

And yet, the entertainment and news media that 99% of people watch... is also meme-based and very manipulative.

And it's owned by the same billionaires who steal all our surplus labor - the slave masters of capitalism.

But you would rather insult some independent poster on a forum?

Bluto is a fucking moron, no way around. An absolute moron

No. The media viewer is a fucking moron.

Stop relying on scapegoats to sound like you have ethics.
QatzelOk wrote:And yet, the entertainment and news media that 99% of people watch... is also meme-based and very manipulative.

And it's owned by the same billionaires who steal all our surplus labor - the slave masters of capitalism.

But you would rather insult some independent poster on a forum?

No. The media viewer is a fucking moron.

Stop relying on scapegoats to sound like you have ethics.

Whoever the source of information one should strive be a critical viewer/reader and not just accept the muck served up.

Your argument is a pretty invalid straw man who here is saying just accept the media take?

The point is Bluto almost completely just posts other people's words and ideas without critical review, he has black and white view, good giys.bad guys, and is simplistic viewpoint which is someone else's, as he does not actually have his own thoughts, he just accepts the dross he is served up, and repeats like a good little pawn. Some peopel get paid to do this sort of work, Bluto is free programmed worker dutifully reciting his lines without even bothering to understand them.
pugsville wrote:
Whoever the source of information one should strive be a critical viewer/reader and not just accept the muck served up.

Your argument is a pretty invalid straw man who here is saying just accept the media take?

The point is Bluto almost completely just posts other people's words and ideas without critical review, he has black and white view, good giys.bad guys, and is simplistic viewpoint which is someone else's, as he does not actually have his own thoughts, he just accepts the dross he is served up, and repeats like a good little pawn. Some peopel get paid to do this sort of work, Bluto is free programmed worker dutifully reciting his lines without even bothering to understand them.

The 'sportification' of politics (my terming).

Instead of paying money for *professional* big-screen and small-screen entertainment, BS gets his drama from the *political* arena, viewing it all through a 'fight pit' overlay on his AR glasses.

Please! Turn your router *off*, BS -- !

= D
pugsville wrote:Your argument is a pretty invalid straw man who here is saying just accept the media take?

The point is Bluto almost completely just posts other people's words and ideas without critical review,...

Bluteau is a poster who posts stuff. He is not that important in understanding politics.

On the other hand, the mass media do the same thing - screen through information and then decide what to let the plebs learn from them. They screen out all the ideas and facts and events that might make people want to revolt against our current suicidal system.

And it is mass-media that you should be bitching about on this forum, because attacking a single, solitary person on this forum is too easy and high school clique-ish.

You can disagree with people's arguments, but please be brave enough to criticized the major institutions that are politically impactful... with your sharp-edged prose.
QatzelOk wrote:Bluteau is a poster who posts stuff. He is not that important in understanding politics.

On the other hand, the mass media do the same thing - screen through information and then decide what to let the plebs learn from them. They screen out all the ideas and facts and events that might make people want to revolt against our current suicidal system.

And it is mass-media that you should be bitching about on this forum, because attacking a single, solitary person on this forum is too easy and high school clique-ish.

You can disagree with people's arguments, but please be brave enough to criticized the major institutions that are politically impactful... with your sharp-edged prose.

My point his posts are almost NOT his owns words. He does not make HIS arguments in the main but repeats others by rote, often spamming totally unrelated memes in to thread about something else,

Bluto does not enter into political debate or argument in the main. Just spamming his preprogrammed proprganda for whoever controls him. It;s just abuse and name calling.

Bluto wants to actually express his own thought I'll treat him differently.
pugsville wrote:

“Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying,' she said. 'One can't believe impossible things.'

I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Alice in Wonderland
pugsville wrote:My point his posts are almost NOT his owns words. He does not make HIS arguments in the main but repeats others by rote, often spamming totally unrelated memes in to thread about something else,

Bluto does not enter into political debate or argument in the main. Just spamming his preprogrammed proprganda for whoever controls him. It;s just abuse and name calling.

The global influence of mass media affects US ALL in ways that often look like *hapless simps regurgitating the propaganda they have received all their lives.*

So if you have noticed this in on particular poster, it is perhaps because you are sensitive to this global phenomenom (mass media programming of humanity) and realize that it is very harmful.

Before mass media entered our dull suburban lives, "groupthink" was created by your own community, as well as by the church you attended.

This isn't better or less invasive, but it did create more diversity of community opinion. Today, Groupthink is enforced internationally, and the mass media is more invasive than ever. People watch TV screens all day now, even while walking their dogs, spending time with their families, or taking the train alone. All other forms of social stimulation seem to have dissappeared, which is a bad omen for *individual self actualization* and *the search for the truth and real science*.
QatzelOk wrote:The global influence of mass media affects US ALL in ways that often look like *hapless simps regurgitating the propaganda they have received all their lives.*

So if you have noticed this in on particular poster, it is perhaps because you are sensitive to this global phenomenom (mass media programming of humanity) and realize that it is very harmful.

Before mass media entered our dull suburban lives, "groupthink" was created by your own community, as well as by the church you attended.

This isn't better or less invasive, but it did create more diversity of community opinion. Today, Groupthink is enforced internationally, and the mass media is more invasive than ever. People watch TV screens all day now, even while walking their dogs, spending time with their families, or taking the train alone. All other forms of social stimulation seem to have dissappeared, which is a bad omen for *individual self actualization* and *the search for the truth and real science*.

I don't and other posters don't endless post mass media clips and articles. YOu have you personal crudade against Mass media but other posters are not endlesslty posting mass media stuff on this site. If they did I'd be objecting.

Bluto is endless posting other people's opinions.
QatzelOk wrote:
The global influence of mass media affects US ALL in ways that often look like *hapless simps regurgitating the propaganda they have received all their lives.*

*This* jumped to mind, from a-ways back....

Young doctor Dennis Barrows (Charles Martin Smith) stumbles into a strange town where the citizens fear and worship a lighthouse. Also stars Martin Landau, Giovanni Ribisi and Chad Tyler Lindberg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Twilight_Zone_(1985_TV_series)_episodes

---

QatzelOk wrote:

Everyone *should* be TV-*refugees* by now, since the Internet is now mature and mainstream -- sure the inherent 'customization' of using it requires more *effort* than being the default couch-potato, but maybe the happy medium is the *media box*, plus the net, for something like conventional *cable* but without the expense, as a minimum.

Your doom-and-gloom spills over too much, though, especially since the *form* of the net medium is 'many-to-many' communications, while conventional network broadcast TV is 'one-to-many' / top-down.

I'd say overall it's *more* choice and freedom than before, and therefore more half-*full* than half-empty. Your doom-and-gloom leads you to think that being social online *isn't* being social, somehow.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Groupthink isn't a left or right thing. It's for intellectually lazy people of all stripes. They latch on to an ideology, or a holy book, or a political pundit they like and they just eat it up without thinking critically very much.

Indeed, but @BlutoSays is kind of a dummy.
pugsville wrote:I don't and other posters don't endless post mass media clips and articles. YOu have you personal crudade against Mass media but other posters are not endlesslty posting mass media stuff on this site. If they did I'd be objecting.

Bluto is endless posting other people's opinions.

I'll take note that it bothers you so much. I'll try to do better. :D :D :D

BlutoSays wrote:
I'll take note that it bothers you so much. I'll try to do better. :D :D :D

At this point I think it's fair to say that Biden's pursuit of and attacks on "MAGA Republicans" has created an army of

And MAGA Republicans are good for politics because *why* -- ?
pugsville wrote:I don't and other posters don't endless post mass media clips and articles.

Whatever they post, many Pofo users expose themselves to hours and hours of commercial propaganda, and this has a great effect on their (in)ability to reason, and the perspectives they have.

This is a far more important social issue than the ranting of one particular poster that you have targeted as your Moby Dick.

ckaihatsu wrote:Everyone *should* be TV-*refugees* by now, since the Internet is now mature and mainstream -- sure the inherent 'customization' of using it requires more *effort* than being the default couch-potato, but maybe the happy medium is the *media box*, plus the net, for something like conventional *cable* but without the expense, as a minimum.

Your doom-and-gloom spills over too much, though, especially since the *form* of the net medium is 'many-to-many' communications, while conventional network broadcast TV is 'one-to-many' / top-down.

Gloom and Doom comes from the fact that the *many to many* communication potential of the internet is increasingly limited by censorship of anything that is important to the oligarch class. We are also getting a lot of fake "many to many" in the form of paid internet trolls. They are perhaps the most important contributors to things like news-source comments sections (as well as the most popular experts on commercial news).

Also, the coach-potato-hood of the Internet Age is vastly greater than it was under the reign of TV. At least TV couldn't follow you while you were walking your dog, or having a coffee with friends. These activities have been severely curtailed by screen-watching, as has the development of children.
QatzelOk wrote:
Whatever they post, many Pofo users expose themselves to hours and hours of commercial propaganda, and this has a great effect on their (in)ability to reason, and the perspectives they have.

This is a far more important social issue than the ranting of one particular poster that you have targeted as your Moby Dick.

But there *is* a harpoon involved in some way, right? (grin)

QatzelOk wrote:
Gloom and Doom comes from the fact that the *many to many* communication potential of the internet is increasingly limited by censorship of anything that is important to the oligarch class. We are also getting a lot of fake "many to many" in the form of paid internet trolls. They are perhaps the most important contributors to things like news-source comments sections (as well as the most popular experts on commercial news).

You are *correct*, sir.

QatzelOk wrote:
Also, the coach-potato-hood of the Internet Age is vastly greater than it was under the reign of TV. At least TV couldn't follow you while you were walking your dog, or having a coffee with friends. These activities have been severely curtailed by screen-watching, as has the development of children.

Weeeeellllllllll, we're back to it -- you're being glass-half-empty, and I've *personally* been anticipating this present-day technological paradigm for *decades* now, so potayto-potahto.

31 fascists arrested at Idaho Pride parade on conspiracy to riot

Alex Findijs
12 June 2022

A bystander reportedly saw the men entering a U-Haul truck and called the police, saying that “it looked like a little army was loading up into the vehicle.” According to the local police officials, officers intercepted the truck and arrested the men inside. They have been charged with conspiracy to riot, a misdemeanor charge.

The men arrested were wearing white balaclava masks and apparel identifying themselves as Patriot Front members, including matching insignia and an informal uniform of khaki pants, navy blue shirts, and beige hats.

They were also found with shin guards, shields, riot gear and at least one smoke grenade.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2022/0 ... e-j13.html
ckaihatsu wrote:fascists

IN our current situation:

1. where most of what our governments are telling us are lies

2. where it is obvious that our governments are there for the 1%

3. where our political processes seem to have been rigged

4. where our "leaders" have no ideas about how to improve the common good in the future

Doesn't it seem likely that brinkmanship and odious cults will soon be in the news?

Haven't our communities been poisoned by the propaganda of the 1%?

Hasn't our common sense been transmogrified into a sick kind of *groupthink* by this process?
QatzelOk wrote:
IN our current situation:

1. where most of what our governments are telling us are lies

2. where it is obvious that our governments are there for the 1%

3. where our political processes seem to have been rigged

4. where our "leaders" have no ideas about how to improve the common good in the future

Doesn't it seem likely that brinkmanship and odious cults will soon be in the news?

Haven't our communities been poisoned by the propaganda of the 1%?

Hasn't our common sense been transmogrified into a sick kind of *groupthink* by this process?

Yup, and the capitalist bourgeois class is *always* like this -- 'lurching from crisis to crisis', to paraphrase something from somewhere.

The ruling class can't kick-the-can down the road anymore, and we're seeing it spilling-out with this current *immigration* crisis, unfortunately.

@Rich But the English and Americans are not Sp[…]

I met a guy from Nigeria, he explained me in Niger[…]

I am not going to debate someone else’s perceptio[…]

...Except when they would be massacred/plundered p[…]