Free speech is under attack in America - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

AndyNush wrote:Liberal students need to understand that they have no right to restrict others' freedom of speech even if they do not agree with them.

What about moderators of political forums you [rule 2 violation redacted]. ;)
AndyNush wrote:Liberal student says she has a right to steal property of Trump supporter "IT REPRESENTS GENOCIDE"
Liberal students need to understand that they have no right to restrict others' freedom of speech even if they do not agree with them.
http://www.i-supportisrael.com/2017/09/ ... ht-to.html

Free speech never exists, see how the Google staff got fired.
We are actually live under leftist authoritarian.

You guys know that HIV people are not longer vetted by health check if they apply for permanent residency in the U.S. Does anyone argue against that? You got fired.
The National

September 29, 2017

01:31

Anti-immigration protesters are gathering in Quebec at the Canada-U.S. border amid the recent influx of asylum seekers, and law enforcement officials on both sides of the border are reportedly on standby in case anything gets out of hand

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1058393667807

I'm very interested in seeing just how this turns out.
And while we wait, I'm also curious why it is we insist on aiding refugees?
I mean...for any number of decades now, we've all been told, over and over again, that we need to donate money to failing countries where people are dying. Yet the money seems to arrive in these countries...and disappears. So...who's fucking whom here?
I know I'm supposed to "feel" something for these refugees, but how can I, if I know we've been "feeling" for allot of them for a very long time now, and things have actually gotten worse in these areas. Shouldn't the leaders of these countries be "feeling" for their nation and its people?
I'm afraid my "feel-good" purse...is now dry...
Pants-of-dog wrote:Some people need to understand what exactly the right to free speech is.

Getting your MAGA hat stolen by a university student is not a free speech issue.

Indeed. I would say YOU would be among them.
And getting one of those red hats stolen is both theft and could be argued that its a violation of free speech.

Looks like the boarder demonstration was non-violent.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3778319/pro- ... le-border/
I know I'm supposed to "feel" something for these refugees, but how can I, if I know we've been "feeling" for allot of them for a very long time now, and things have actually gotten worse in these areas.

Yup. I feel for the individuals who are just trying to get the best life for themselves and their families as they possibly can. I completely understand why driving a cab in Toronto is preferable to being an unemployed school teacher in Iraq. That said. I agree with you that the fix must come in their homes. Not only does it protect us from very unpopular mass migrations but it helps vastly more people.

There are far too many despots in the ME whose very existence relies on keeping the political pot stirred up. In a country with 50% unemployment (or more) and little likelihood of improvement, every soul who leaves goes in the "thank God" column. Until we grow a pair and insist that this changes we will face this problem.
Drlee wrote:Yup. I feel for the individuals who are just trying to get the best life for themselves and their families as they possibly can. I completely understand why driving a cab in Toronto is preferable to being an unemployed school teacher in Iraq. That said. I agree with you that the fix must come in their homes. Not only does it protect us from very unpopular mass migrations but it helps vastly more people.

There are far too many despots in the ME whose very existence relies on keeping the political pot stirred up. In a country with 50% unemployment (or more) and little likelihood of improvement, every soul who leaves goes in the "thank God" column. Until we grow a pair and insist that this changes we will face this problem.

Ya I would agree.
But as you have pointed out, most of these ME nations are shit-holes.
And its not really much of a stretch, for the population of the ME to generally think The West is largely responsible for their collective misery. But I can't undo 9/11, nor the Bush administrations dumb response. What I can do, is protect my home and my family. These people are coming to The West, with a chip on their shoulders.

When someone shows up at your door and has an intense dislike on for you, you don't throw a blanket over them and invite them in.
Buzz62 wrote:Indeed. I would say YOU would be among them.

Yes, but you say a lot of incorrect things about me, so I just end up ignoring them.

And getting one of those red hats stolen is both theft and could be argued that its a violation of free speech.

Feel free to argue it. I will then point out how you are wrong.
Feel free to argue it. I will then point out how you are wrong.

I would be interested in hearing an argument justifying the theft of another person's property as a political protest. Then I would like to hear how destroying the "political banner" of someone else is not an abridgment of their political speech.
I think it's perfectly legitimate to point out when people and/or protesters are intimidated.

Another tactic to prevent unwanted speakers and protests seems to be making security very expensive, thereby giving hosting institutions and authorities an excuse for not staging an event.

If the roles were reversed, I'm sure we would see similar complaints.
Drlee wrote:I would be interested in hearing an argument justifying the theft of another person's property as a political protest. Then I would like to hear how destroying the "political banner" of someone else is not an abridgment of their political speech.

I am not arguing that the theft was justified or a form of protest.

Nor was there any destruction of any banner. As far as I can tell, there was probably some arguing about how Trump is racist, and a hat was supposedly stolen.
I am embarrassed by the events at Berkeley preventing the asshat rightists from holding their speeches. The old phrase of disagreeing with what someone says but defending their right to say it seems to have been censored by reactionaries. Until they get to the point of actually promoting hate speech or violence, they deserve as much liberty as anyone else. Sproul Plaza was all about having no oversight on the speech taking place in it.

And all it does is backfire. Now Milo and Coulter and Bannon and their cretinous friends are fueled, and unfortunately, rightly so.
Zagadka wrote:I am embarrassed by the events at Berkeley preventing the asshat rightists from holding their speeches. The old phrase of disagreeing with what someone says but defending their right to say it seems to have been censored by reactionaries. Until they get to the point of actually promoting hate speech or violence, they deserve as much liberty as anyone else. Sproul Plaza was all about having no oversight on the speech taking place in it.

And all it does is backfire. Now Milo and Coulter and Bannon and their cretinous friends are fueled, and unfortunately, rightly so.

And also the Google staff fired for writing against feminism. The leftist dominated censorship has made many "silent majority".
I am embarrassed by the events at Berkeley preventing the asshat rightists from holding their speeches. The old phrase of disagreeing with what someone says but defending their right to say it seems to have been censored by reactionaries.

This is right. And all the greater the shame, as you point out, because now the right can correctly assert that the left wants to kill free speech. And frankly, to some considerable extent, it does.

When it comes to colleges we forget that these are students. They are there to learn not lecture. More mature educated people should know that knowledge comes from studying the facts but wisdom comes from learning how to discerned right from wrong and good from bad. If the students gave these racist shit-heads a forum for expressing their views and then went out and roundly condemned these views their message would be powerful.

Ann Coulter graduated Cum Laude from Cornell and got her JD from University of Michigan where she edited the Michigan Law Review. She is no dumb-ass hick gaining fame by blundering through the world of hickdom. She is a very smart political operative making a great deal of money by manipulating people who are not nearly as smart as she is.

Banon, Coulter, Limbaugh....the whole passel of them are not relying on the brain-trust for their popularity and income. That they are supported by a few smart people is simply because they are good at herding dullards.
Ignoring bigots empowers them.

If calling out their bigotry when they come to inclusive and diverse places to broadcast their bigotry also empowers them, then it is a catch 22 situation.

If that is the case, then we might as well consider other criteria. And one important thing is at if we challenge them, then they at least need to own up to their bigotry.
If that is the case, then we might as well consider other criteria. And one important thing is at if we challenge them, then they at least need to own up to their bigotry.

That is why it is critical that we allow them to speak. Then they are forced to own their words. They are "on record". Then we attack their words rather than their person.

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Actually it is unknown whether humans and chimps […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]