Obama OKs $50 million to assist France in Mali - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of Africa.

Moderator: PoFo Africa Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Is that some sort of joke, or a symbolic gesture of goodwill towards the French? Compared to the actual costs of any intervention, at all, a few million bucks is a drop in the ocean. Ain't no intervention gonna cost less than a billion.
It doesn't seem to be something the far-left or far-right can have a coherent position on. I myself supported it, whereas I'm sure some in my camp would disagree. On the left, opinions seem split as well.

In other news, there has been an intensification of fighting around Gao and an increase in suicide attacks against Malian infantry and checkpoints, according to several reports via Russian and British media.
Fasces wrote:You support intervention in Mali?

I supported the National Front for the Liberation of Azawad, but not the Islamists. At this point I don't give a damn about the Mali situation, and probably the best deal that could be achieved after FNLA got its ass whooped by the regional Taliban is some sort of autonomy deal for the Tuaregs achieved between Mali and FNLA with international mediation. Once the whole Azawad thing went to Hell, I'm neutral on the whole mess, though I'm partial to the Islamists not winning.

I'm just pointing out how ridiculous that amount of 'aid' is.
KlassWar wrote:I supported the National Front for the Liberation of Azawad, but not the Islamists. At this point I don't give a damn about the Mali situation, and probably the best deal that could be achieved after FNLA got its ass whooped by the regional Taliban is some sort of autonomy deal for the Tuaregs achieved between Mali and FNLA with international mediation. Once the whole Azawad thing went to Hell, I'm neutral on the whole mess, though I'm partial to the Islamists not winning.

Concerning the secular Tuaregs and the Azawad liberation front, the Islamists, and the role of Western involvement, it is interesting how close the far-left and far-right position probably is on this issue, likely for different end-goals.
Just as we were in Malaysia, Oman, and the Falklands? The alliance, which is in effect a client relationship, simply doesn't work that way.
Just as ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it, the same stands for ignorance of history. In reference to the scuffle in the Falklands, that conflict lasted a few months and the point stands.
I haven't even heard of the first two.

That's irrelevant.

British people remember our "allies" doing sweet fuck all. Mind you it did give up to opportunity to win our Vietnam (Malaysia) so we could laugh as you fucked up when your turn came to try the oh so hard task of subjugating a third world shithole.
Fasces wrote:You support intervention in Mali?

From what i saw on CNN and Sky news they more than welcome the french (The government and the people on the streets) and have even asked the french to stay. It makes sense when you have an unstable Nation you would want a European power to provide stability so its a safer place to bring up your children.
Well, that isn't entirely clear as it is quite easy for French and British reporters from France24 and the BBC to travel to Mali with a press pass and stated list of objectives, and make good on the wishes of their benefactors by choosing the one or two Malian civilians out of a crowd who appear to be slightly Francophile rather than vehemently anti-European/anti-intervention and interview them. It's a common tactic.

But the point is that a sizable number of Malians probably do support the French intervention, but this would probably not be the case had Ansar Dine and their sympathizers and affiliates not enforced through terror such a rigid system within the towns they occupied; a theocratic system which was rather alien to the area and carried harsh penalties for average Malians listening to music in their own homes and women walking into public spaces while uncovered. I would be more interested hearing from the majority of civilians in areas in which the Azawad liberation front wielded more influence, particularly from Tuareg civilians.
What interest for the USA will be gained by sacrificing our troops on the soil of Mali? How will the lives of Americans improve by spending our hard earned tax dollars invading Mali as opposed to spending it on the real needs of real Americans? I see absolutely none. Less even than Iraq, and Iraq was a disgrace.

This morning, International Criminal Court Prosec[…]

It says in plain English "delays in movement[…]

The only thing silly here is you. The reason the[…]

Using two different terms for what is essentially[…]