Should Ethiopia reinstate the monarchy? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of Africa.

Moderator: PoFo Africa Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Political Interest
From what I have heard, Selassie maintained an outdated and autocratic form of rule, living in opulence whilst his people were in dire poverty. As Potemkin suggested, it was no doubt the dire conditions that allowed Mengistu to take power.
By Xopolis
Yes. They need a monarchy so even more money is wasted and a corrupt elite can drive BMV's while the public starves. :knife:
By Figlio di Moros
Or, to provide a unifying national symbol whose interests are innately aligned with that of the state.
By Kaspar
Or, to provide a unifying national symbol whose interests are innately aligned with that of the state.

You keep saying this but you aren't responding to my counterpoints.

How is the monarchy going to unify the country if it is practically exclusive to the Amhara people and the Ethiopian Orthodox church? As I said earlier, Ethiopian Orthodox membership is rapidly declining and the Amhara people barely make up a quarter of the country's population. I don't understand how a monarchy so tied to these aspects of Ethiopian society would unify the country.

If the Amhara population and culture were say, as significant as that of the Han in China, then I would completely agree with you. In that scenario the reestablishment of the monarchy would be a very viable option.

whose interests are innately aligned with that of the state.

The interests of a monarch are not necessarily aligned with that of the state. They should be, but this is not always the case. Any politician should innately have their nation's interests at heart, just as any monarch should. The problem with the monarchy in Ethiopia, which is a problem common to monarchies in developing nations, was that it became a separate entity from the country. For much of his reign, Selassie was simply looking after the monarchy, not the country.
By Figlio di Moros
You're assuming that Ethiopia's identity would be victim to Tribalism. The goal should be to forge a new identity, under a common national mythology; regardless of religion, it's believed that the Ethiopian Emporer dates back to Solomon, and they inherited the Ark. While I admit my lack of knowledge about the tribal relationships, it appears the Omoro also have a shared identity w/ them historically. Between the Ahmara and Omoro, they constitute over 60% of Ethiopia's people, and sharing power between the tribes, as well as promoting intermarriage can minimize tribalism.
By Aekos
The goal should be to forge a new identity, under a common national mythology; regardless of religion

Exactly. How would this be possible without a unifying figure such as a monarch? Democracy only reinforces tribalism. Once an "Ethiopian identity" has been forged, political discourse in Ethiopia would be centered on economic and social rather than petty tribal issues.
By Figlio di Moros
Also, an enforcement of almalgation by forbidding marriage within six generations. Ought to help break up tribalism by supporting inter-ethnic relationships.
I used be a Rastafarian but as i learnt more ,I learnt the truth a bout Haile Selassie I .I don't really see how reestablishing the Ethiopian Monarchy would benefit the country unless it was a constitutional monarchy like England but i don't really see the difference.
Ethiopia would be better off as a monarchy under the grandson of the late Emperor Haile Selassie.

Despite what people say,the Imperial Family of Ethiopia are actually more popular than the current Prime Minister of Ethiopia,Meles Zenawi (whose anti-monarchism is very well-known).

Yes,the current heir to the Ethiopian throne now lives in Addis Ababa.

Aidan.
That is a matter to be decided solely by the Ethiopian people. Though, yes, a strong and centralized government, with traditional roots might be better for them right now. There is a reason why traditional rulers and kings remain popular through all of Africa and politicians don't. Africa is living a period of crisis and their unity and common traditions are the only things keeping them going. I'd say that, right now, there is nothing better than a traditional leadership to help them go through the crisis they are in...
I'm sure the Ethiopian people would rather a dictatorship or monarchy [the same in my eyes], that genuinely loves the country not matter how corrupt it was, rather than the traitorous cabal in charge now.

As for the poster earlier claiming Eritreans would defend Asseb, just know that in the 1998 border war fought over the Ethiopian town of Badme, Ethiopian troops had decisively routed the Eritrean soldiers and were marching to take Asmera before the Ethiopian PM Meles ordered his troops back and then signed a UN resolution handing Badme back to Eritrea.

When you compare these actions to past Ethiopian leaders up until the Derg, they all shared bad tendencies such as corruption, but they all, Mengistu included loved Ethiopia and would never do anything to harm her such as giving away the only port and then spurning chances to take it back whic unfortunately is what the current regime did.

You can open the tweet yourself.

According to OCHA, imports of both food and medici[…]

Women have in professional Basketball 5-6 times m[…]

@FiveofSwords still has not clarified what it […]