Col. Security Forces Investigated for 3000 murders - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Mexico to Argentina.

Moderator: PoFo Latin America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Social_Critic wrote:But the really interesting thing is that we see these mantras appear repeatedly and in different circumstances. I saw a Venezuelan lawyer in an European court defend Venezuela's record using pretty much the same words Gletkin used. I even wonder if Gletkin isn't this chick's friend?

If that's the argument Chavez's supporters are using, then it's a pathetic one.
The whole point of electing Chavez...what Chavez himself promised....was something new and better. NOT more of the same.
If they're actually saying that things haven't changed, they're basically admitting that Chavez had failed. Why should the electorate give him another chance?

But instead, simply because they use "certain phrases", you latch onto those and go frothing at the mouth...even now, wondering if I'm Golinger's friend.

Why the fuck are you acting like Pavlov's dog!!!??

The main fucking point is that it should've been evident....BLINDINGLY evident...from my posts that I'm not a supporter of Chavez. Who the fuck cares if I happened to use the same words as Chavistas do!? THEY use them to offer pathetic excuses. I use them to point out the obviousness of Chavez's failure! What are you, the Manchurian Candidate and these are your trigger words!!?? Read EVERYTHING that I fucking wrote and THINK before you react!!

Golinger's friend...wtf seriously......
And what does this have to do with the topic?Sorry, I thought you said you were Cuban.

I did say I was Cuban. I am Cuban born, fihished High School in the US.

And what does this have to do with the topic?

The Field Manual explains how to conduct counter-insurgency warfare. You should download it and read it.

Then you'll understand why, once the FARC is on the way to defeat, the tactic shifts to avoiding human rights abuses, and providing a quality justice system. This blunts efforts by the insurgents to return. The Colombian government has been using a fairly sophisticated approach. They did get a huge win when they bombed Raul Reyes and got his computer and hard drives. The guy was anal about record keeping, and the information treasure was very valuable.

The trick of course was not to capture all the FARC agents unmasked by the computer data, many of them are still operational, and bugged up the arse. This intelligence is what allows the Colombian army to very patiently harvest FARC and gradually close the circle. And this is the reason why FARC's latest self styled leader, Timoshenko, is hiding in Venezuela.

I heard the Colombians know where he is, they are waiting for the Venezuelan elections in October, and afterwards they're going to drop a bomb on him.
Pants, I see you didn't read what I posted. I suppose you're not going to read much of what I send your way, but maybe some of the others will:

Here's a scholarly article about the relationship between a healthy judiciary, human rights violations, and "violent dissent":

http://www.olympiaseminars.org/2012/... ... S.2010.pdf

We argue that some liberal democratic institutions change the probability that leaders support the creation of institutions that discourage jailers and interrogators from engaging in torture, thus increasing the probability of a state terminating its use of torture. These relationships are strongly conditioned by the presence of violent dissent; states rarely terminate the use of torture when they face a threat. Once campaigns of violent dissent stop, however, states with popular suffrage and a free press are considerably more likely to terminate their use of torture.

Here's a 2012 article about the FARC, added as background reference:

The FARC: Defeated Force or Resurgent Enemy?

This February, the leader of the Colombian insurgent group FARC announced his group’s intention to abandon kidnapping as one of its major activities, and to release at least ten political prisoners it had kept hostage for over a decade. This statement by Rodrigo Londono (better known by his alias ‘Timochenko’) supports the suggestion that we may, at last, be witnessing the beginning of the end of FARC. Londono has repeatedly called for a reopening of peace negotiations between FARC and the Colombian government.

http://www.rusi.org/publications/newsbr ... E9888E830/

This is from 2010, it mentions Alfonso Cano is the FARC leader. Cano was killed

To end Colombia's protracted conflict, the government should sustain military pressure on the FARC and other illegal armed groups but also design a strategy for peace talks with the still-functioning rebel leadership. Otherwise, FARC splinter groups could end up joining the ranks of Latin America's criminal underworld...

"FARC's military capacity has been weakened, and it has lost almost all political support in Colombia as well as abroad. However its resilience should not be underestimated", warns Markus Schultze-Kraft, Crisis Group's Latin America Program Director. "The FARC is not close to defeat, and under Alfonso Cano is having some success in adapting to the changed strategic scenario and regaining internal cohesion".

http://www.allianceforpeacebuilding.org ... t-Card.htm

This describe's Cano's death in November 2011
The leader of Colombia's left wing Farc rebel group, Alfonso Cano, has been killed in a military raid, President Juan Manuel Santos has confirmed. He called it the most devastating blow to the group in its decades-long insurgency and urged it to disband.

Defence Minister Juan Carlos Pinzon said Cano was killed in an operation in mountains in Colombia's south-west. Security forces have killed a number of Farc commanders and arrested many others in recent years. Giving details of the operation, Mr Pinzon said government forces first bombed a Farc jungle camp in Cauca state. Troops were then lowered from helicopters to search the area and killed Cano and several other Farc (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) members in a gun battle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15604456

So as we can see, the FARC are on the run. This is what allows the climate so that Colombian courts can investigate over 2500 extrajudicial killings. As explained in the Conrad Moore paper, states are more likely to end human rights abuses if they feel they are not being threatened by violence. They are also likely to return to commiting human rights abuses as soon as the perceived threat of violence rises. For example, the US tortured prisoners in large numbers right after 9/11, and the number of torture incidents seems to have receded.

@Unthinking Majority I agree that the proteste[…]

A nation is a race In what language are these w[…]

Terrorist strategy is not to defeat an enemy with[…]

I agree with this message. Here's another one t[…]