Do multinationals provide good governance? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Modern liberalism. Civil rights and liberties, State responsibility to the people (welfare).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Since the world is currently not united by one government, and since independent states - particularly large ones - tend to pursue resource and power accumulation rather than justice, the only world "governance" the earth currently knows is provided by Disney and Blackwater, General Motors and Time/Warner.

Are they currently providing good world governance?

Are they taking care to make sure that that common good is served, and that the maximum number of people are content?

Does the current world governance provided by multinational corporations exemplify the kind of governance that libertarians would like to see on a more local level?
By Holding
They aim to maximize the well-being of those have invested in them, something I believe to be of greater importance than any of the questions you raised. I do not believe a government has a duty to anybody that is not invested in it.
By Average Voter
Their governance seems to be about censorship, wars, involuntary progressive tax, secret police, drug laws, prison overpopulation, immigration restriction, gun restriction, trade restriction, privacy invasion, socialized health care and education, moral-based public education funding, minimum wage, torture, legally enforced monopolies, and monopolized money. I don't know what to think about their job of governance, although the government and people are almost always in conflict; a government preferred by one is incompatible with a government preferred by another, which is incompatible with a third, and a fourth. Any government monopoly will leave the majority dissatisfied.
By QatzelOk
Any government monopoly will leave the majority dissatisfied.

So, here in Canada, our governments have monopolies on health care and education, as well as mass transit and policing. Does this leave the majority of Canadians dissatisfied, or were you just spouting off ideological nonsense off the top of your head?

I want to know if McDonalds and Disney are doing a good job of governing the world, not how much you LOOOOVE capitalism in every sector of society.

Are multinationals leading the earth towards something positive?

Is Exxon/Shell/GM/Toyota/News Group helping humanity manage its existence on this planet in a constructive way?
By Average Voter
So, here in Canada, our governments have monopolies on health care and education, as well as mass transit and policing. Does this leave the majority of Canadians dissatisfied, or were you just spouting off ideological nonsense off the top of your head?
No, because they could move somewhere which doesn't have a monopoly on health care. Although, for education, Canadians are less satisfied(I should have said that) than if they were able to choose education of their choice.

I want to know if McDonalds and Disney are doing a good job of governing the world, not how much you LOOOOVE capitalism in every sector of society.

Are multinationals leading the earth towards something positive?

Is Exxon/Shell/GM/Toyota/News Group helping humanity manage its existence on this planet in a constructive way?
If governance is determined by the people of the world, then no, since it would be a minority government. If doing a good job is determined by some ethical code held by the minority(anything considered *positive*), then no, because it is enforcing ethics upon those who do not believe in them, against the peoples will, becoming an ethical substitute.
By QatzelOk
Average Voter wrote:Although, for education, Canadians are less satisfied(I should have said that) than if they were able to choose education of their choice.

Are saying is that polls show that Canadians would give up their own public education system if they are offered a sentence that contains a few variations on the word "choice?"

Do these type of polls - which are usually sponsored by corporations - give society a better understanding of the democratic decision-making process?
By Aekos
I think the poem "La United Fruit Co." by Pablo Neruda is warranted here (translation from original Spanish)

When the trumpet sounded
everything was prepared on earth,
and Jehovah gave the world
to Coca-Cola Inc., Anaconda,
Ford Motors, and other corporations.
The United Fruit Company
reserved for itself the most juicy
piece, the central coast of my world,
the delicate waist of America.

It rebaptized these countries
Banana Republics,
and over the sleeping dead,
over the unquiet heroes
who won greatness,
liberty, and banners,
it established an opera buffa:
it abolished free will,
gave out imperial crowns,
encouraged envy, attracted
the dictatorship of flies:
Trujillo flies, Tachos flies
Carias flies, Martinez flies,
Ubico flies, flies sticky with
submissive blood and marmalade,
drunken flies that buzz over
the tombs of the people,
circus flies, wise flies
expert at tyranny.

With the bloodthirsty flies
came the Fruit Company,
amassed coffee and fruit
in ships which put to sea like
overloaded trays with the treasures
from our sunken lands.

Meanwhile the Indians fall
into the sugared depths of the
harbors and are buried in the
morning mists;
a corpse rolls, a thing without
name, a discarded number,
a bunch of rotten fruit
thrown on the garbage heap.
By QatzelOk
That's some excellent prose there, Aekos.

But what about the US and Canada and all the other lands that have provided multinationals with arms and smiling politicians?

Are these countries also governed by the same multinationals? And what destiny awaits them, if so?
By KKK
The problem with corporations is complete lack of accountability for their crimes.

When a corporation takes an action that results in thousands of people getting sick either nothing happens or worst case scenario they pay a fine. Nobody goes to prison.

This is obviously BS. Punishment has to be proportional to the crime. If you knowingly distribute vaccines contaminated with HIV then punishment in form of a FINE is not proportional to the crime.

Also the fine will be paid by the corporation while the person who has made the decision to sell contaminated vaccine is enjoying his $10 million bonus.

Of course we have the same issue with politicians like Bush. They also order deaths by the thousands and never have to answer for it.

In this respect corportations are no worse.

I am a Libertarian by the way.
By QatzelOk
Of course we have the same issue with politicians like Bush. They also order deaths by the thousands and never have to answer for it.

Corporations fund the USA government and the election process.

They also own the commercial media.

And Americans are fine with this - as long as they're rich. (9... 8... 7... 6...)
By Zerogouki
Since the world is currently not united by one government, and since independent states - particularly large ones - tend to pursue resource and power accumulation rather than justice, the only world "governance" the earth currently knows is provided by Disney and Blackwater, General Motors and Time/Warner.

No, because they are not providing ANY governance. None at all.
By KKK
Corporations fund the USA government and the election process.

They also own the commercial media.

And Americans are fine with this - as long as they're rich. (9... 8... 7... 6...)

so you're saying that corporation is the cause of all problems in USA ? most ?
By NoRapture
so you're saying that corporation is the cause of all problems in USA ? most ?
I think he's saying that corporations are the USA. That we live under the illusion of a government. Today's problems stem from the fact that the illusion is becoming more and more transparent.
By DanDaMan

Are they taking care to make sure that that common good is served, and that the maximum number of people are content?

What you are talking about is removing a countries sovereignty.
Once that is done the individual also loses his right to property.
Then you have no individual Liberty or Freedom. Let alone the right to own property.
You then have the tyranny of the collective taking whatever you earned from hard work.
Last edited by DanDaMan on 08 Jul 2009 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
By QatzelOk
NoRapture wrote:Today's problems stem from the fact that the illusion is becoming more and more transparent.

This is only "the problem" if you are a wealthy member of the elite who has a stake in the current power structure.

Otherwise, "the problem" is lack of governance. Individual pirates - no matter how slick and suave - are no substitute for a selfless group of people working towards the common good. This is what governance is, and it's why we have been so stupid in electing so many selfish people to positions of power.
By NoRapture
Otherwise, "the problem" is lack of governance. Individual pirates - no matter how slick and suave - are no substitute for a selfless group of people working towards the common good. This is what governance is, and it's why we have been so stupid in electing so many selfish people to positions of power.
When was the last time in history we saw this selfless group of people working toward the common good? King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table? You're holding the bar a little high aren't you Qatz? I'd settle for something a little easier to get our feet wet. How about Don't Kill Anybody For Jesus With An Automatic Weapon Day once a year for starters. Then we could work our way up to rationing energy on yachts over twenty yards long and Lear Jet game-hunting excursions. Beginning gradually, of course. Maybe Don't Kill Anybody...Day could start out as a half day.
Last edited by NoRapture on 08 Jul 2009 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
By QatzelOk
As I would have replied to Milton Friedman, "Never, if you don't start looking."

His career was built on getting people to be cynical and to respect greed.
By NoRapture
...as Milton Friedman ( in the interview linked below ) said... "
I don't think it's necessary to resort to the rigid, narrow little path of Milton Friedman for an answer to the question.
By DanDaMan
As I would have replied to Milton Friedman, "Never, if you don't start looking."

Ahh!!!
I know just the kind of person who, throughout history, fits your bill!

Check out the Mullah's in Iran!

Careful what you wish for.. you just might get it!

I don't think it's necessary to resort to the rigid, narrow little path of Milton Friedman for an answer to the question.

Millions in China living better today because of capitalism would beg to differ!

And thank you KKK for the excellent video link!

Great to see the encampments only keep growing and[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGwXOahI8oU The […]

Winston Churchill for good or for bad, despite ha[…]

(1) It is impossible to please someone who believ[…]