The Kennedys: ABC1 TV - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Modern liberalism. Civil rights and liberties, State responsibility to the people (welfare).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By RonPrice
In the 1950s and 1960s I grew from a boy of 5 to a young man of 25. These two decades were, indeed, formative ones. I often reflect on these years as we all do on our childhood, adolescence and young adulthood. These reflections are often more acute as we head into late adulthood and old age. The Kennedys on ABC1(1) television had a mnemonic and nostalgic effect on me as I gazed at a replay of some of the major events of the presidency of JFK, Jack Kennedy, in the years 1960 to 1963.

These events have been endlessly repeated anecdotes in the last half century, anecdotes about Kennedy, his women and his administration’s crises dominate this series. The background of the period, the wider society and the major aspects of its contemporaneity took a back seat in this telemovie. The focus in this episodic four part series was squarely on The Kennedys and the more than five hours of visual stimulus took me back to my mid-to-late teens. I was a hippy back then, 15 in 1960 and 25 years of age by 1970, part of that sixties generation. -Ron Price with thanks to (1)ABC1, 22 and 29 May as well as 5 and 12 June, Sundays, 8:30 to 10:00 p.m.

Thanks, Bruce, for your illuminating(1)
analysis, for that background, to this
telemovie which I’ve enjoyed these
last several weeks…You say that the
period was dominated by a reform-
minded, bipartisan, consensus liberalism,
classical liberalism’s last hurrah,1 as you
put it… And there was all that talk about
a new world order, sex and the single girl,(2)
Betty Friedan’s Feminine Mystique, and a(3)
talk of oneness. Did anyone know about an
election of the Universal House of Justice?

1 Bruce Bawer, “The Other Sixties,” The Wilson Quarterly: Surveying the World of Ideas, Spring 2004.
2 Helen Gurley Brown wrote this book in 1962 the year my travelling-pioneering life began in and for the Canadian Baha’i community.
3 Betty Friedan’s Feminine Mystique was published in 1963.
Ron Price
4 June 2011
By CalAmerican
"A tax cut means higher family income and higher business profits and a balanced federal budget.... As the national income grows, the federal government will ultimately end up with more revenues. Prosperity is the real way to balance our budget. By lowering tax rates, by increasing jobs and income, we can expand tax revenues and finally bring our budget into balance."
John F. Kennedy
By RonPrice
Belated apologies for not getting back to you sooner, CalAmerican. Thanks for your response; at least I get a feeling someone read my post. Best wishes to you from Downunder.-Ron
Waiting for Starmer

@JohnRawls I think the smaller parties will do[…]

https://i.ibb.co/VDfthZC/IMG-0141&#[…]

I don't care who I have to fight. White people wh[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]