EU-BREXIT - Page 160 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Rich
I think May may well favour a second referendum, in the same way I think she was happy to have an extension. She just wants to give the appearance of "You'll have to pry a referendum from my cold dead hands." In fact I suspect the majority of MPs would be happy to see another referendum, they just don't want to be seen to be supporting a referendum. Its amusing to see these MPs say they were against a referendum but they have relunctantly come round to supporting it. Utter bullshit, they wanted a second referendum all along. Its just now they have found it politically expediient to support it.

I suspect that nearly all MPs are more Remain and less hard Brexit than they pretend to be.

And what do we get if we abandon the deal? - Chaos a gaping pit threatening to swallow us up.
Boris johnson: Chaos is not a pit my friend. Chaos is a ladder.

The exception is jeremy Corbyn who is more Brexit than he pretends to be. He also sees a no deal Brexit as a ladder, but has to pretend that its his greatest nightmare. :lol:
By Beren
Rich wrote:The exception is jeremy Corbyn who is more Brexit than he pretends to be. He also sees a no deal Brexit as a ladder, but has to pretend that its his greatest nightmare. :lol:

I'd rather believe he's in cahoots with the EU right now or there is great mutual understanding between them at least.
By JohnRawls
Beren wrote:Corbyn would be a Remain leader if he could become PM only that way. But his actual way to premiership leads through a soft-Brexit-or-Remain campaign, which also includes harshly opposing the Tories and their hard Brexit, of course.

It is a sad day honestly. Around 50% of UK population is without a leader. Remainers don't wanna leave even with soft Brexit. Right now Corbyn didn't do anything in that regard besides provide different versions of softer Brexit. :eh: His no remain leader.
By Beren
JohnRawls wrote:It is a sad day honestly. Around 50% of UK population is without a leader. Remainers don't wanna leave even with soft Brexit. Right now Corbyn didn't do anything in that regard besides provide different versions of softer Brexit. :eh: His no remain leader.

Corbyn needs soft-Brexiters as well as Remainers, and they need Corbyn too, so he's their leader. Even hardcore Remainers have to realise there must be a kind of Brexit besides Remain on a 2nd referendum ballot.
By Atlantis
Official figures give the number of demonstrators in London demanding a 2nd referendum as more than 1 million, which makes it one of the biggest demonstrations in British history.

Meantime, Farage has addressed a rally of 200 Leavers in Linby.

The petition Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU has now reached 4.7 millions. At this rate, it'll reach 5 millions soon.

The organizer had to go into hiding because of death threats. Let's hope she doesn't suffer the same fate as Joe Cox.

Woman behind Brexit petition to revoke article 50 receives death threats

There seems to be a growing momentum for reversing the Brexit decision.
By Nonsense
I don't believe her, when she says she has received death threats by telephone last night.

“Hi – am the person responsible for the revoke article 50 petition. Just needed to tell you that 1. I am currently visiting Cyprus. and 2. last night I had three telephoned death threats. Who wants Brexit so much that they are prepared to kill for it?”

Couple of questions here, 1/ How did the callers know her telephone number, was she one of the millions of stupid people on that ridiculolus platform that places all their personal info on there & is her 'phone' a mobile or landline?
2/ How would they know that she was in Cyprus, if mobile calls were made to her there, then, like any call, are traceable & were any complaints about the 'alleged' calls made to the police?

In respect of her petition, the numbers signing it are irrelevent once they reach 10K, then 100K because the petition runs to the third week of August by which time we will be out of the E.U, or a general election will be in the offing, so no debate on the petition would be had & Theresa MAY will be a stain on British history.

What would the point of a debate be anyway, we have had enough parliamentary 'debates' on the subject to last a millennia.

She is, like the demonstrators on the streets, a denyer of reality, undemocratic, a remainer that wants to revoke A50 with zero prospects of that happening, as the binary choice would be in effect, the political death of the Tory Party or revoke A50 & the Tories are equally opposed to both.
By noemon
People would know her name because it's listed in the petition and it's a Greek-Cypriot name, her phone number could be in the BT catalogue and like most people she gets calls diverted to her mobile. Being in the EU she most likely uses her mobile in Cyprus without any roaming charges. Receiving death-threats for making this petition which has now reached over 4 million signatures is not that unbelievable, a pro-EU MP(Jo Cox) was recently murdered because of said EU support and Gina Miller has received a lot of death threats for campaigning for the EU and for parliament to be in control of Brexit.
By redcarpet
Claiming a revocation won't happen is as absurd as previously claiming an extension would never happen. It did Nonsense, so back down and stop pretending you know everything.
By B0ycey
Nonsense wrote:In respect of her petition, the numbers signing it are irrelevent once they reach 10K, then 100K because the petition runs to the third week of August by which time we will be out of the E.U, or a general election will be in the offing, so no debate on the petition would be had & Theresa MAY will be a stain on British history.

What would the point of a debate be anyway, we have had enough parliamentary 'debates' on the subject to last a millennia.

The number itself means the petition has achieved more than it could have ever done if it is to be discussed in parliament. You cannot just ignore 5 million plus votes on a petition system where most of the populous within the UK don't usually partake in but feel compelled to over this issue.

I feel this is momentum. Labour cannot just keep sitting on the fence. They are significantly losing ground to the Tories as the TIGS eat into their votes. Polls suggest 60% of people would vote remain if a ratification vote was enacted so surely the remain vote is where Labour should be chasing now.

Time to stick a referendum option on MV3! Let the people decide if May is on their side.

She is, like the demonstrators on the streets, a denyer of reality, undemocratic, a remainer that wants to revoke A50 with zero prospects of that happening, as the binary choice would be in effect, the political death of the Tory Party or revoke A50 & the Tories are equally opposed to both.

I doubt if the Tories revoked article 50 it would be the death of the Tory party actually. When you have to protests taking place at the same time and one has a million and the other 200 people, you can certainly see where the will of the people is today. Although as the Tories are in power they will get blamed in the next election if the economy takes a downturn - which will happen under no deal.

If the Tories had any sense they would remove themselves from consequence and give the people the final say on how to break the impasse.
By Istanbuller
Doesn't anyone see the problem with "post-Brexit referendum" Remain protests? British state lost authority. Those protesters on behalf of EU are spying on British government and Britain.

Police forces should crack down on those protesters. The state authority should be restored.
By redcarpet
Istanbuller wrote:Doesn't anyone see the problem with "post-Brexit referendum" Remain protests? British state lost authority. Those protesters on behalf of EU are spying on British government and Britain.

Police forces should crack down on those protesters. The state authority should be restored.

How 'democratic'! A lawful political demonstration suppressed by violence?

You sound like the rabble-rouses in the right-wing tabloids calling for civil war, etc!
By Potemkin
Istanbuller wrote:Doesn't anyone see the problem with "post-Brexit referendum" Remain protests? British state lost authority. Those protesters on behalf of EU are spying on British government and Britain.

"The bad news is that 65% of the electorate voted against us. The good news is, we have their names and addresses!" :excited:
By Nonsense
B0ycey wrote:The number itself means the petition has achieved more than it could have ever done if it is to be discussed in parliament. You cannot just ignore 5 million plus votes on a petition system where most of the populous within the UK don't usually partake in but feel compelled to over this issue.

I feel this is momentum. Labour cannot just keep sitting on the fence. They are significantly losing ground to the Tories as the TIGS eat into their votes. Polls suggest 60% of people would vote remain if a ratification vote was enacted so surely the remain vote is where Labour should be chasing now.

Time to stick a referendum option on MV3! Let the people decide if May is on their side.

I doubt if the Tories revoked article 50 it would be the death of the Tory party actually. When you have to protests taking place at the same time and one has a million and the other 200 people, you can certainly see where the will of the people is today. Although as the Tories are in power they will get blamed in the next election if the economy takes a downturn - which will happen under no deal.

If the Tories had any sense they would remove themselves from consequence and give the people the final say on how to break the impasse.

Nonsense -
The issue is completely irrelevent for the reason's stated.
There is no 'weight' attached to any number above 100K , because that is both the minimum & maximum number required for the petition to be '"considered" for debate in parliament.That 'consideration' is not mandatory , it is for parliament to decide & as I have said-what hasn't already been debated on the issue?

The damage is already done to the Tories, because they are going to extend our leave date, in plain English, we will still be in the E.U post 29 March, no matter the duration of that period & the political rubicon between delivery & non-delivery will have taken place as a fact.
By Nonsense
redcarpet wrote:Claiming a revocation won't happen is as absurd as previously claiming an extension would never happen. It did Nonsense, so back down and stop pretending you know everything.

Nonsense -

I do not 'pretend' redcarpet, the government will pay a price for it's delay in leaving after 29 March.

You assert that a revocation of A50 can happen & that saying it will not is 'absurb', because of the 'extension'.

If the government were(they will not)to revoke, the Tories will never govern for perhaps decades, now, some people would think of that prospect as being like the anticipation of presents for Christmas,that one is for the birds, because, for millions of people, they would dread the thought, as would businesses.

Were parliament to assert the power to do so, the consequences for every MP advocating a revocation by voting accordingly, would be that they can kiss their 'career's' & pensions goodbye.

It will NOT happen, the absurdity is that MAY has pleaded for an extension, a revocation would nullify the referendum vote & utterly destroy any pretence of democracy in the country.

Note; I never use the words United Kingdom(U.K), because that is an 'absurdity', just as using the prefix 'Great' to Britain is, they are both subjective terms & (IMHO)fanciful.
By redcarpet
Nonsense wrote:Nonsense -

I do not 'pretend' redcarpet, the government will pay a price for it's delay in leaving after 29 March.

You assert that a revocation of A50 can happen & that saying it will not is 'absurb', because of the 'extension'.

If the government were(they will not)to revoke, the Tories will never govern for perhaps decades

There you go again, you continue to pretend to know exactly what will happen. Even after your last big assertion that no extention would be granted by the EU, you now claim the Tories won't win the next G.E & for 'decades'.

The arrogance!

It's a major rule in politics to "never say never!". Perhaps you forgot that? The TIG split from Labour and more leakage of right-wing Brexiter votes from the Tories might mean another hung parliament, or a small-majority Tory government backs with some more financial bribes, knighthoods, may ensure May gets back into No. 10. That is a possibility. A qualification arrogant people like you fail to add when making arguments!
By Nonsense
redcarpet wrote:There you go again, you continue to pretend to know exactly what will happen. Even after your last big assertion that no extention would be granted by the EU, you now claim the Tories won't win the next G.E & for 'decades'.

The arrogance!

It's a major rule in politics to "never say never!". Perhaps you forgot that? The TIG split from Labour and more leakage of right-wing Brexiter votes from the Tories might mean another hung parliament, or a small-majority Tory government backs with some more financial bribes, knighthoods, may ensure May gets back into No. 10. That is a possibility. A qualification arrogant people like you fail to add when making arguments!

Nonsense -

I think it's you that displays the 'arrogance', making up mantra's as you go along because you lack coherence.

You talk of 'possibilities' , that's all you are talking about & that is just conjecture at best.

In time, anything can happen, but the 'possibilities' you mention, such as the TIG do not seem translatable to realistic 'possibilities', because Labour are sure to contest those seats, where voters,at root, support a traditional Labour government.
Voting for a former Labour MP, against a 'new' Labour candidate, even where the former MP is liked, will not necessarily determine that the 'turncoat' MP would be re-elected, not when voters there want a 'Labour' government.
By B0ycey
Nonsense wrote:Nonsense -
The issue is completely irrelevent for the reason's stated.
There is no 'weight' attached to any number above 100K , because that is both the minimum & maximum number required for the petition to be '"considered" for debate in parliament.That 'consideration' is not mandatory , it is for parliament to decide & as I have said-what hasn't already been debated on the issue?

You missed the point. It doesn't matter whether or not there is a debate in parliament, the numbers alone have made the petition worthwhile. May, Corbyn or anyone else for that matter can't say Brexit is the will of the people or not expect repercussions if they continue the 'Hard Brexit route. When Farage can only muster 200 people for a rally, you can see clearly that the Hard Brexiteers are a dying breed FYI.

The damage is already done to the Tories, because they are going to extend our leave date, in plain English, we will still be in the E.U post 29 March, no matter the duration of that period & the political rubicon between delivery & non-delivery will have taken place as a fact.

Corbyn is Marmite. Only a complete fuck up by the Tories will mean a majority Labour victory in the next election. Also the Tories will be judged by Brexit. And I can assure you now most of the UK just want this mess to end without costing them anything and only a few like you consider revoking article 50 a vote loser. So if the Tories need to revoke article 50 to avoid a being judged harshly by the fallout of the Brexit shitfest then so be it. Also I think you overestimate the Brexiteer mood in the UK. They are the dying minority and the next election will be fought for the remain vote as they are the growing power today and not for restoring some form of lost democracy.
By redcarpet
B0ycey wrote:Only a complete fuck up by the Tories will mean a majority Labour victory in the next election. Also the Tories will be judged by Brexit. And I can assure you now most of the UK just want this mess to end without costing them anything and only a few like you consider revoking article 50 a vote loser. So if the Tories need to revoke article 50 to avoid a being judged harshly by the fallout of the Brexit shitfest then so be it. Also I think you overestimate the Brexiteer mood in the UK. They are the dying minority and the next election will be fought for the remain vote as they are the growing power today and not for restoring some form of lost democracy.

Also the exaggerated majority factor of FPTP might help ensure a small Tory victory, or hung parliament with another corrupt deal with the DUP so May and her gang can hang on.

I'm not sure but some people might be thinking there will be a repeat of the 1997 General Election result of a landslide Labour Party victory partly because of the divisions and so on in the Tories over the EU in the early 1990s. That's only a possibility, and my money isn't on it. The Polls are neck-to-neck. Corbyn can get either a 1 or 2-point Labour Party lead at most. So I'm not optimistic.

The savaging of the British middle-class in the marginal constituencies by 'austerity, & Thatcher's economic policy effects, will ensure 'Brexit' won't be a single-issue to vote on for them. And be vulnerable again, as Mrs. Thatcher and her gang saw in 1979 to take advantage of the contradictory/hypocritical views of those middle-class swinging voters in marginal constituencies that decide UK General Elections.
By Beren
redcarpet wrote:Also the exaggerated majority factor of FPTP might help ensure a small Tory victory, or hung parliament with another corrupt deal with the DUP so May and her gang can hang on.

I'm not sure but some people might be thinking there will be a repeat of the 1997 General Election result of a landslide Labour Party victory partly because of the divisions and so on in the Tories over the EU in the early 1990s. That's only a possibility, and my money isn't on it. The Polls are neck-to-neck. Corbyn can get either a 1 or 2-point Labour Party lead at most. So I'm not optimistic.

May won't hang on because Brexiteers are going to take over the Conservative Party.

As to a general election, if he combines social issues with a smart Brexit policy, Corbyn could stand a good chance of winning against a Tory Party of Brexiteers.

So are people of Jewish descent being discriminate[…]

Yes, taxonomy in general is also a social constru[…]

My position has always been very clear. Ukraine s[…]

Lol. It is amusing when someone turns to a dicti[…]