EU-BREXIT - Page 157 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By layman
I believe the figure is technically correct in what is initially outgoing. It’s just a whole lot comes back in rebate, public funding, private funding ..... not to mention the myriad of investment and trading advantages that are affected. FYI even now it is predicted to be costing us 400 million a week ...

Therefore, the implication that this is all a saving that could be spent elsewhere is a lie.

Politicians do this all the time. They imply things without actually promising to do them. Give themselves plausible deniability.

With general elections it is less dangerous as individual policy decisions can be changed or reversed through pressure. With life hanging events like this or wars, not so much ... we rightly expect a higher standard.
By Beren
Macron and some other EU27 leaders push really hard, although I wonder if what they actually push for.

ImageJeremy Corbyn (right) and Sir Keir Starmer arriving at the European commission HQ in Brussels.
Photograph: Emmanuel Dunand/AFP/Getty Images

No red file folders? :eek:
By JohnRawls
Beren wrote:Macron and some other EU27 leaders push really hard, although I wonder if what they actually push for.

ImageJeremy Corbyn (right) and Sir Keir Starmer arriving at the European commission HQ in Brussels.
Photograph: Emmanuel Dunand/AFP/Getty Images

No red file folders? :eek:

It doesn't matter. Unless A23 among with the other protesters burns down the house of parliament on the weekend nothing will change.
By Beren
The Guardian wrote:Theresa May’s Downing Street speech last night may have seemed baffling to those watching at home but there may be a clue to its purpose in how the government social media machine has used the footage.

Soon after she finished talking in Downing Street, the official UK government Facebook page began paying to promote a clip of her speaking under the banner “Brexit: Let’s Get On With It”.

The adverts, funded using public money, began running on Facebook last night and have already been seen at least 2 million times, according to the social network’s new advertising disclosure rules.

These views do not necessarily mean than a Facebook user bothered to watch any of the video, but they do mean that they saw a video in their newsfeed of Theresa May talking alongside the quote: “You want this stage of the Brexit process to be over and done with. I agree. I am on your side.”

Although the sums involved are not enormous – up to £10,000 has been spent promoting the video since last night – it is another example of how Facebook ads are being used to put pressure on MPs to back Brexit by directly targeting voters. One mysterious group campaigning for a hard Brexit, which has never revealed its financial backers, has spent almost £500,000 on targeted Facebook ads since last October.

Maybe they should have discussed it with Putin's staff how to do that properly. :lol:
By Nonsense
snapdragon wrote:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nearly-half-of-britons-believe-vote-leaves-false-350-million-a-week-to-the-eu-claim-a7085016.html

Nonsense, why are so so against Britain remaining in the EU? How does it affect you?

You seem to be blowing a gasket at the very thought of it.

Nonsense -

It's not about me.

I have often stated in other threads, that 'democracy' is a sham, applied to the 2016 referendum, along with what has happened since, is confirmation of that view.

In the referendum, the people voted, by a majority, to order the government to prepare & implement the instruction to leave the E.U.
That referendum applied to all MP's, because their Party Manifesto stated that they would honour the result of the referendum at the last election.

That combination, as a matter of honour from a democratic viewpoint, is unequivocal in it's intention & all politicians in parliament should-ought to work to bring that about.
By anarchist23
JohnRawls wrote:Twitter is saying that the government requested a maintenance of the website :lol:

It was up and running when I last checked.

By Nonsense
snapdragon wrote:I think it simply keeps crashing.

Nonsense, what are you talking about? It was generally believed by people who voted to leave that the government would spend that money on the NHS.

The day after the referendum, Nick Robinson interviewed people on the BBC and all of them said they voted to leave because the money was going to the NHS.

Nonsense -

I'm old enough to know that the BBC is biased, in this case against 'Leaving' the E.U & that it mounts campaigns against things it doesn't like by 'recruiting' public or political 'stoogies' to create it's own agenda in the media which then influences the political discourse.

Those people probably never read the actual messages on the buses or elsewhere(not that the BBC asked them whether they had), they just gave answers to the questions directed at them by the BBC & the media presentation is then crafted to the BBC's agenda.

It's not just the laughter that's 'canned' on the BBC, virtually everything is choreographed, if not in one program, it's 'adjusted ' to fit the BBC agenda in another program on any particular topic.

You do not need to go to China, Russia or any other country to be bombard with propaganda, it happens on your doorstep & most of you wouldn't be aware of it.

Any reasonable person questions everything in the media, taking nothing at face value & not 'believing' all that you hear or see.
By anarchist23
Here we go. Operation Yellow Hammer will happen within days in a nuclear bunker.

TIM SCULTHORPE, DEPUTY POLITICAL EDITOR FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 11:20, 21 March 2019 | UPDATED: 17:53, 21 March 2019
Emergency 'Cobra' committee takes over No Deal preparations amid moves to activate Operation Yellowhammer' on Monday- putting 3,500 troops on standby, booking ferries for NHS drugs and getting ready for huge lorry jams
* Civil contingencies wing of No Deal planning is called 'Operation Yellowhammer'
* Plans involve putting 3,500 troops on standby and securing medical supplies 
* The back-up schemes will be activated from Monday - four days before exit day 
* New moves come after 320 contingency plans were stood up in December 
* The Government's emergency 'Cobra' committee is said to have taken over  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... onday.html

By anarchist23
Just released....
The armed forces have activated a team in a nuclear-proof bunker under the Ministry of Defence as the government prepares next Monday to enter "very high readiness mode" for a no-deal Brexit, Sky News can reveal.
Control of overall planning for the impact of the UK leaving the European Union without a withdrawal agreement next week shifts from the Cabinet Office to the government's emergency committee Cobra.
There will be near 24-hour manning of critical departments most at risk from Brexit disruption.
Teams in situ in the Cabinet Office and the departments for health, transport and defence will be primed to divert resources or deploy manpower where required, a government insider told Sky News.
The military's crisis management operation - dubbed Operation Redfold - was mobilised at the beginning of this week.
It will direct some 3,500 military personnel who have been put on standby to help the government if required in the event of disruption following a no-deal departure from the EU.
Troops from Monday will ready to be deployed at a day's notice as the government lays the groundwork for a possible no-deal exit at the end of next week.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-milit ... l-11671941
By Nonsense
anarchist23 wrote:Just released....

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-milit ... l-11671941

Nonsense

" The armed forces have activated a team in a nuclear-proof bunker under the Ministry of Defence as the government prepares next Monday to enter "very high readiness mode" for a no-deal Brexit, Sky News can reveal".

That can only mean one thing, the proverbials is about to hit the fan, one can only hope that it does so in the bunker. :lol: :lol:
By Hindsite
Nonsense wrote:Nonsense

" The armed forces have activated a team in a nuclear-proof bunker under the Ministry of Defence as the government prepares next Monday to enter "very high readiness mode" for a no-deal Brexit, Sky News can reveal".

That can only mean one thing, the proverbials is about to hit the fan, one can only hope that it does so in the bunker. :lol: :lol:

Yeah, it is too funny to take seriously.
By anarchist23
Hindsite wrote:I suspect that is fake news. :lol:

The Ministry of Defence has set up an operations room in a bunker at its main Whitehall building to deal with a potential no-deal Brexit.
The preparations are being run under the banner of Operation Redfold - although officials stress they are part of wider cross-government planning.

An MoD spokesman said it was "always willing to support wider government planning for any scenario".
Defence chiefs had previously said 3,500 troops were being readied.
■ What is a no-deal Brexit?
■ No-deal Brexit impact assessment published
■ What preparations are being made for a no-deal?
■ Brexit: A really simple guide
BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Beale said the MoD was "stepping up a gear" with the new room "deep in the bowels" of its building.
He said the room, which is already used for crisis management throughout the year, would be used to coordinate efforts in the event of a no-deal Brexit, although it was not yet clear what duties troops would undertake.
A draft European Council document says the UK could be offered a Brexit delay to 22 May on the condition MPs approve the withdrawal deal the prime minister has agreed with EU leaders.
But the government has been preparing for a potential no-deal in the event Theresa May's plans are rejected.
It has published a series of guides - which cover everything from pet passports to the impact on electricity supplies.
Defence minister Mark Lancaster announced in January that reserve military officers could be called up for a year of service as part of government plans for a no-deal Brexit.
The defence spokesman said Operation Redfold was part of the continuation of the planning under the government's preparations, which are known as Operation Yellowhammer.
He said: "We have committed to holding 3,500 troops at readiness to aid contingency plans.
"We will consider any requests from other government departments if they feel defence capability could contribute to their no-deal planning."
It comes as MPs were urged by the deputy speaker to take taxis home from Parliament and not travel alone in the coming days, over security fears ahead of potentially crunch Brexit votes next week.

Brexit: MoD prepares for no-deal in Whitehall bunker https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47658403
By hartmut
Let me make some remarks regarding the present brexit-confusion in UK.

Not only proved the current administration to have no plan that could find any majority,
nor is a stable structure of interests to be seen.
UK is in a process of inner splitting while Waiting For Godot.
He will not come (and Nigel Farage enjoys meanwhile his undeserved beers).

BTW.:
Did you know,.. the wonderful English Literature brought up some nice phrases in other European languages, like "Warten auf Godot" in mine.
Please don't wait for Godot,
he is drunk a pub.
By anarchist23
Thousands of Twitter users have been venting their frustrations on the hashtag #NotOnMySide after her latest televised address that she would seek to extend the negotiation process, telling voters “I am on your side”.
But the assertion appears to have fallen on deaf ears as leading figures on both the Remain and Leave sides opposed her statement.
Brexiteer radio host Julia Hartley-Brewer “She’s #NotOnMySide. I voted for Brexit”, while anti-Brexit campaigner Femi Oluwole called it “almost laughable”.
He tweeted: “It’s almost laughable. Theresa May is trying to force a Brexit deal on the country that both remainers and leavers hate, because it trashes UK sovereignty AND takes us out of the EU and she’s claiming to be on the side of the people? #NotOnMySide”
One angry pro-Brexit user said May had “a lack of dignity and a head full of delusion” following the speech.
They tweeted: “My job requires me to deliver results. If I didn’t deliver or felt I couldn’t do it I’d be promptly sacked or I’d leave to save myself the embarrassment of failure.
“May’s had 2 long years to prove herself & she hasn’t. A lack of dignity and a head full of delusion. #NotOnMySide”
Another Leave voter wrote: “Sorry @theresa_may but you are #NotOnMySide. I voted leave, not this rubbish deal that will leave us worse off than before.
Elsewhere, an anonymous user who called themselves “British European” wrote: “I felt so incensed by @theresa_may and her truly awful statement tonight that I signed up to Twitter just so I can say: #NotOnMySide”
May’s speech largely blamed MPs for the stalemate in parliament, leaving many politicians furious.
Tory MP Sam Gyimah tweeted: “Resorting to the ‘blame game’ as the PM is doing is a low blow. Democracy loses when a PM who has set herself against the HoC then blames MPs for doing their job. Distracts from Art 50 extension, all part of her strategy to run down the clock and rule out other options. Toxic.”
And Labour’s David Lammy called the speech “sinister”.
He wrote: “Theresa May’s attempt to put parliament against the people on £Brexit tonight is sinister. It is the populism of Steve Bannon and Donald Trump. History will judge her brutally. Our country deserves so much better than this.”
MP Phillip Lee said that the prime minister is offering no end to Brexit.
“The PM said we should let it happen simply because everyone is tired of talking about Brexit. But leaving without knowing where we are going is a recipe for further division. It won’t be the end of all the arguments but a signal that they have only just begun. It will sap energy, talent and resources for a generation and beyond, preventing us from addressing any of the huge challenges – from health and housing to automation and climate change – that face our country today.
“The prime minister’s deal offers us no clarity and no end to Brexit. Instead we face years, if not decades, of Prime Ministers travelling back and forth to Brussels trying to make sense of a deal that makes no sense for Britain.
“What is needed now, at this 11th hour, is for MPs to insist on the time and space we need to work out what Brexit means – soft or hard - because any Brexit will inevitably leave many voters disappointed.”

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-5950506
By layman
Draft agreement seems to be an extension in all circumstances, including the possibility of a longer one if certain conditions met by April.

I had suspected hard ball from the ru side until the 3rd vote to scare mp’s ....
By Beren
The Guardian wrote:Sources have dismissed Theresa May’s plea for more time to deliver a form of Brexit she and parliament can live with as “90 minutes of nothing”. My colleagues, Daniel Boffey, Heather Stewart and Jennifer Rankin, report that, according to a source, the prime minister “dismally” failed to offer any answers as to what she would do if the deal was blocked by MPs again

One aide is quoted as saying:

"She didn’t even give clarity if she is organising a vote. Asked three times what she would do if she lost the vote, she couldn’t say. It was awful. Dreadful. Evasive even by her standards."

When leaders asked May what she was going to do if her deal was voted down, an official added that the prime minister replied that she was following her ‘Plan A’ of getting it through.

It was then the EU decided that “she didn’t have a plan so they needed to come up with one for her”, the source added.

By Beren
May agrees to Brexit delay proposal

Donald Tusk confirms that Theresa May has agreed to the plan to delay Brexit until 22 May if she can get her deal through the Commons, or 12 April if she cannot.

She agreed to the plan they made for her.
By Potemkin
Nonsense wrote:Nonsense

:|

And the question you need to ask yourself, whos f[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The article IS the source, dumbnut. And its sourc[…]

Right, for instance the "settler colonialism&[…]

From the link in the previous post: Note that […]