Tony Blair implicated in so called suicide death - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Short: Blair implicated in Kelly death

Matthew Tempest, political correspondent
Monday July 28, 2003

Clare Short, the former cabinet minister who resigned after the Iraq war, today accused the prime minister of being "implicated" in the death of government scientist David Kelly.

The ex-international development secretary said Dr Kelly's apparent suicide was a result of "an abuse of power" by the government, with Tony Blair and his director of communications, Alastair Campbell, working "very, very closely together".

Downing Street dismissed the claim. This morning the prime minister's official spokesman said: "I don't think that anyone reading the interview this morning will have been in the least bit surprised by anything Clare Short says.

"She has said very similar things in other comments. I think therefore it is best to let Clare speak for herself and we will continue to speak for ourselves."

Ms Short's attack, the most recent in a range of criticisms of the government, comes as the home secretary, David Blunkett, conceded that Mr Blair's reputation has been "tarnished" by recent rows.

Mr Blair is back in Britain, briefly, with his monthly press conference due on Wednesday before he leaves for a Caribbean holiday at the home of Sir Cliff Richard.

In her interview with the Independent today, Ms Short says of Dr Kelly's death: "The truth needs to be found and those responsible held to account. Alastair Campbell and Tony Blair work very, very closely together. They are all implicated, it seems to me."

She agreed with her questioner that the chancellor, Gordon Brown, has one year to depose the prime minister before the next election looms too close, but adds she is "not a Brownie".

Ms Short says of her party leader: "He is a complete convert to a neo-conservative view of the world. "

She goes on: "He hasn't had an adverse period since becoming leader of the Labour party. It has been an easy ride. Now it is going to be much more difficult. We will see how he copes with it and how long he wants to hang on."

The MP for Birmingham Ladywood repeats her claim that Mr Blair lied to her by claiming that the French president, Jacques Chirac, had said he would "veto anything", and concludes: "I think he deceived himself and he deceived us."

Recalling her 1996 attack on spin doctors who "live in the dark", she says: "I said spin would damage and destroy Tony.

"The test for the Labour party is: can we renew ourselves in power? The third election could be won; it could be lost, too. It can't be everyone keeping quiet and supporting all the mistakes that are being made, otherwise we will throw away the third term."

Speaking on the BBC's Westminster Hour last night, Mr Blunkett said: "We have to seek the trust of the British people and we have to seek their continuing confidence.

"I think when we come through the period ahead with the Hutton inquiry [into the death of Dr Kelly]: when you see the truth, when you understand what has been done not only to Tony but those around him, quite undoubtedly people may just be won back."

Meanwhile, No 10 remained tight-lipped about reports that Mr Campbell, is to quit later this year.

"Alastair Campbell has gone on holiday. We wish him well. He will return in September, to the same job," Mr Blair's spokesman said.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/kelly/st ... 45,00.html

Races are very real and they need to take care of[…]

That letter was fake. https://www.youtube.com/wa[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

British Intelligence: the horde air defence cann[…]

... The USA is like the Soviet Union overmilitari[…]