New EU nations - Page 8 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By Spyros
Ok. I won’t call you comrade again. Excuse me if I offended you friend.

The rest of my massage stands though.
By Liberal
Quote:
Quote:
And best nation overall goes to: Russia

Says who?

Says me and my nation has more nuclear weapons. I win. Macedonia have none.

Never said that we did. :)
By the way..
There is a joke on the balkans...
different nations belive Russia is their partone, and "bigger brother".
The Montenegrians, for example(Montenegro, population 600.000 people, aproximatly) often say: We are the rissians together are 200 million people! :) Same goes for the Serbs
By caesar
Liberal wrote:Napuljun wrote:
Quote:
Best movies: American (In yo face!!! )

Just becuase they make most money doesn't mean they are of the most artistic quality.

I agree with Napuljun. I find the european movie production more authentic and artistic then most of the holywood production.

No way !
By caesar
McPherson wrote:I just wanted to make some irony out of the pointless childish nationalism that this thread was breeding. BTW, it´s geeting too off-topic... that´s good. And yes, Czech girls are the most beautiful i´ve seen ever.

You make me very curios.
By caesar
glinert wrote:And best nation overall goes to: Russia

:down: :down: :down:
By caesar
glinert wrote:
Well done comrade!!!

Can people stop calling me comrde, Soviet Union dead, gone, as Monty Python said, "Soviet Union has ceased to be" Except in Damien opinon.

But the spirit is alive, CAMARADE ! :lol: :D :lol:
By Liberal
caesar:
do u find Romania to be balkan or non balkan country?
I know that there are 2 opposite views about that.
Which ciew do u support?
By betelgeuse
Romania is by all means Balkan, but it is a heritage most Romanians want to forget about. Slowly but surely the Roman heritage has been dilluted in this pool, helped perhaps by the recent wave of Americanization.

Edit: caesar, listen to epicure, he wise man (no pun intended). If you have more to say, simply edit the current post, don't make new ones.
Last edited by betelgeuse on 24 May 2004 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
By Epicure
Caesar wrote:No way !

Caesar wrote:You make me very curios.

Caesar wrote: :down: :down: :down:

Caesar wrote:Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:20 pm

Caesar wrote:Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:24 pm

Caesar wrote:Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:25 pm

Now, Caesar, three one-line posts in 5 minuts time, in three diferent posts, I think it's going a bit too far. Don't blame anybody but yourself if you get edited then...
And anyway, it's just real onnoying so please STOP.

(note : my times are GMT+1)
By Liberal
Romania is by all means Balkan, but it is a heritage most Romanians want to forget about. Slowly but surely the Roman heritage has been dilluted in this pool, helped perhaps by the recent wave of Americanization.

Well, tahnks for answering on my question.
The strange thing is: many balkan people are ashamed of being balkanians...so, they just say: we are not balkan, we are europe...
By Stipe
Croatia is similar. Most people in Croatia will deny that the country is in the Balkans at the very least culturally and there's a very good reason for that. When one thinks of the Balkans, it brings up images of economic backwardsness, lawlessness, and tribal conflict. Those aren't things anyone wants to be associated with.

Anyway though, I would say Romania is partially Balkan. Wallachia is essentially Balkan and Moldavia (the Romanian region, not the modern country) is also fairly Balkan. However, Transylvania, Bukovina, basically the northern and western lands beyond the Carpathians belong more to Central Europe culturally and historically.

Also, I don't know if "dilluted" is either an accurate or fair way of describing what happened. No one is sure how much of Romania is was really Roman, Dacian, Romano-Dacian etc. It's a complicated historical genesis. Also, the Romanians and their neighbors generally belonged to the same, highly romanized, sphere of civilization.
By Conspectator
we are not balkan, we are europe...
Curisously enough, in a way a similar thing is about Ukrainians and Belarusians: when they start saying "we are European" (and refer to pre-18 cen. and pre-1939 history), what they actually meant to express is "we are not Russian/Soviet". That is io distance themselves from all that negative assosiated with belonging to the 'Russian world' - the murky and vicious realm of Muscovy. ( :) )
(Although, sorry, this is a bit off-topic: these countries are not offered even a prospect of EU membership).
By Liberal
When one thinks of the Balkans, it brings up images of economic backwardsness, lawlessness, and tribal conflict. Those aren't things anyone wants to be associated with.

Yes, this metaphore is usualy assosiated with Balkan. I remember hearing the term "Balkanization of the Near East". Before the "last Balkan wars", the term "Libanisation" was used. Now, however, the Balkan took it`s place, in order to symbolise religiouse, ethnical and other wars, between people and nations that are simmular and different at the same time.
By betelgeuse
When one thinks of the Balkans, it brings up images of economic backwardsness, lawlessness, and tribal conflict. Those aren't things anyone wants to be associated with.
The Balkans are though incredibly diverse. Once the conflicts die out, and they will, the region will prosper mainly due to that diversity.

Also, I don't know if "dilluted" is either an accurate or fair way of describing what happened. No one is sure how much of Romania is was really Roman, Dacian, Romano-Dacian etc. It's a complicated historical genesis. Also, the Romanians and their neighbors generally belonged to the same, highly romanized, sphere of civilization.
True. Theories say that either a romanized people slowly developed it's own identity (official version), that the region had received several waves of both romanized and non-romanized migrators, slavs in particular, coupled with an originary Roman population (most likely) or that the population relocated entirely after the Roman retreat, the Hungarians moved into Transilvania, then the once native returned (least substantiatet theory).
By Garibaldi
McPherson wrote:Czech girls are the most beautiful i´ve seen ever.

I'd have to say Italians, Latinas, and Black women are the most beautiful.
By caesar
betelgeuse wrote:Romania is by all means Balkan, but it is a heritage most Romanians want to forget about. Slowly but surely the Roman heritage has been dilluted in this pool, helped perhaps by the recent wave of Americanization.

Edit: caesar, listen to epicure, he wise man (no pun intended). If you have more to say, simply edit the current post, don't make new ones.

Wise guy, listen to that. We have forum to in my country and this is the way off exspres our self. That is my opinion, i do not know why you are so iretate by that.
By caesar
Stjepan wrote:Croatia is similar. Most people in Croatia will deny that the country is in the Balkans at the very least culturally and there's a very good reason for that. When one thinks of the Balkans, it brings up images of economic backwardsness, lawlessness, and tribal conflict. Those aren't things anyone wants to be associated with.

Anyway though, I would say Romania is partially Balkan. Wallachia is essentially Balkan and Moldavia (the Romanian region, not the modern country) is also fairly Balkan. However, Transylvania, Bukovina, basically the northern and western lands beyond the Carpathians belong more to Central Europe culturally and historically.

Where are you from ? You know very much of my country history. I respect that. We are a combination of the roman and free tribals of daci. Dacii was a people with a low education but a great warior spirit and very hard worker. But the roman civilization conquer there land, except the nord and the could mountaignes. They interfere with the habits of dacian people. After that.... its a long story.
Whatever my country enemy was Turcia and Rusia, and for "few moments " Ungaria and Germania. Most recently we have fight and win a batle with the comunism and russian influence.
By caesar
betelgeuse wrote: Also, the Romanians and their neighbors generally belonged to the same, highly romanized, sphere of civilization.
True.Theories say that either a romanized people slowly developed it's own identity, that the region had received several waves of both romanized and non-romanized migrators, slavs in particular, coupled with an originary Roman population .
True
Or that the population relocated entirely after the Roman retreat
the Hungarians moved into Transilvania, then the once native returned (least substantiatet theory).
= story for kids
By Liberal
Whatever my country enemy was Turcia and Rusia, and for "few moments " Ungaria and Germania. Most recently we have fight and win a batle with the comunism and russian influence.

Many enemies indeed. :)
By Stipe
caesar: I am Croatian but I currently live in the United States. I study the histories of southeastern, eastern, and central europe and have read about Romanian history, culture, and politics. I have not yet been there though.

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]