NO SMOKING for the Irish? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
By ZenWilsonian
This really should come into action in Britain. I'm sick of my parents thinking I've been smoking everytime I go to the pub. There are NO smokefree pubs where I live. They are all full of smoke.
By McPherson
I love smoking. I hope this ridiculous american legislation spreads all along Europe. If I open a pub and decide that it´s allowed to smoke in it, it´s allowed. If the waiters i´ve hired don´t agree with that, they can go away. And the same with the customers.

We, the smokers, feel that we pay enough taxes to the government, just to damage our lungs a little bit. So stop pissing us off.
By ZenWilsonian
Yes. it's okay. I have no problem with you damaging your lungs. If you want to do that, and you pay the taxes, fine!

Just don't damage our lungs also!
If you want to smoke, you can do so outside or in your own home. I never complain about that!
By Andrew
At least the Irish Government cares more about it's people then it does about losing revenue from the cigarette companies. I personally support the idea as smoking kills people and its best to restrict uses of it now, particularly to the younger generation which will then get addicted and national health will deteriorate. The cultural side of things is an issue though as smoking has been in generations for many centuries and it could deter people from businesses and cause troubles (or it could cause an influx of people in the businesses), but either way its a confusing issue and there will always be a split in opinions on such an issue. Smokers are addicted to cigarettes anyway, so its good to provoke them to stop and lessen their use of smoking.
By Soma
Andrew wrote:At least the Irish Government cares more about it's people then it does about losing revenue from the cigarette companies.

The Irish Government has a health care crisis, and is merely trying to cut down on the amount of hospital beds taken up by cancer patients. I suppose that could be viewed as 'caring' for the people, but since the current Government is corrupt and evil, I must look for other possible motives.
By Balthaak
i can't see the law lasting very long....

Well, as much as i am informed, the same (or a kind of ) law is at force in California. But Ireland is the first country to prohibite the tobacco.

I love smoking. I hope this ridiculous american legislation spreads all along Europe. If I open a pub and decide that it´s allowed to smoke in it, it´s allowed. If the waiters i´ve hired don´t agree with that, they can go away. And the same with the customers.

We, the smokers, feel that we pay enough taxes to the government, just to damage our lungs a little bit. So stop pissing us off.

Well, OK, but smoking is ONLY forbidden in public areas. So you can still smoke at home, can't you?
By McPherson
Well, OK, but smoking is ONLY forbidden in public areas. So you can still smoke at home, can't you?

A pub is private, and its owner should decide whether allowing or forbiding to smoke in there. Smoking tobacco is not forbidden by law, it´s just restricted. I understand that it´s forbidden in public transport, official buildings, hospitals, etc. because its non-smokers users cannot choose another option. But a pub... you can choose, if you don´t like smoke, you can go to a non-smoker one.
By Clann
As a bar man, I think that this law is a great idea. I have a right to be protected while i'm working. I just wish the brits would adopt the law in the occupied six counties so I could avail of it aswell.
By Falleen Prince Xizor
McPherson wrote:

A pub is private, and its owner should decide whether allowing or forbiding to smoke in there. Smoking tobacco is not forbidden by law, it´s just restricted. I understand that it´s forbidden in public transport, official buildings, hospitals, etc. because its non-smokers users cannot choose another option. But a pub... you can choose, if you don´t like smoke, you can go to a non-smoker one.

I presume you're still talking about ireland...

if so..actually, it is forbidden by law to smoke in ANY enclosed work space, especially bars/restaurants...as it was banned already is schools/hospitals/public transport....
By Trevor
That is believable. Countries are being so intense on cracking down on people smoking. When you see people here (Canada) it is made to be a social crime or something, it is just not really making sense. I mean, if people want to smoke let them, do not make them do it in their own houses and nowhere else. Let them at least smoke in bars, I mean, it is bars, smoking is expected of people.
By McPherson
:smokin:

Trevor, I heard that a package of cigarrettes in Canada costs even more than in the UK (which is crazy expensive). Don´t you guys think that we, the smokers, pay enough taxes to deserve the right to smoke it? At least in the bars! The gov gets a lot of money from our taxes, to spend it invading islamic countries. At least, let us drink our beer with a good marlboro in our hand!
By Comrade Osnowski
or a B and H...mmm.....cigarettes :smokin:

You Canadians pay more for fags than us Brits! Jesus Cancer Ridden Christ mate, that either sucks or isn't true 8)
By McPherson
Yeah, my aunt went to Vancouver last summer, and there, people don´t ask you for a cigarrette, they ask you if you can sell them a cigarrette! i think it was like €12 a packet or so. (in Spain, it varies from €2 to €2.50) Shit, in England, how much was a marlboro packet? 5 pounds or something like that, right? (which makes €7)

:smokin: but it tastes so goood...
By Comrade Osnowski
10 deck of Marlboro = £2.50

20 deck = more or less £5.00

My personal favourite is Lucky Strike...but i'll be damned if u can get any around here :( nearest shop that stocks them costs me £2 there and back on the bus...thats why i settle for B&H Silver, quite a nice smoke and very gd backy for my other...somewhat less legal....smoking hobby :roll:

Can't wait till i study at the British Institute in Paris for my degree....cheap ciggies, nice wine :D
By Balthaak
A pub is private, and its owner should decide whether allowing or forbiding to smoke in there.

Agree.

As a bar man, I think that this law is a great idea.

A non-smoking bar man? What is this world going to?

:?:

Can't wait till i study at the British Institute in Paris for my degree....cheap ciggies, nice wine

Well, been ther done that. The cigs aren't quite cheap, but the wine is GOOD but expensive too. We bought a bottle of 0.75 l for 3 euro, but it tasted like vinegar. Eeeehhh! The more expensive bottles, like for more than 20 euro are fucking good! But, if you can afford 3 of them every evening...

My personal favourite is Lucky Strike...

The best cigs of all But a bit expensive too.

In Macedonia a box of Luckies costs 55 denars. (1 euro=61 denars)
By KenW
A pub is private, and its owner should decide whether allowing or forbiding to smoke in there.

Do the bar staff not have a right to work in an enviornment that isnt choked up in noxious fumes? If my employer told me I had to work in a smelly smokey hole every day I would tell him to go cook his own sock, yet we expect bar staff to do it?
By QatzelOk
Note to Ireland: Good work on the war on nicotine. Cars are next.
By Falleen Prince Xizor
actually, non nationals are next.

We're shutting off our citizenship rights if you're born here...

one step at a time...

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]