Americanisation - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
By Ocker
So, fellow Aussies, Kiwis and Pacific Islanders.
Do you think we are being over run with American products?
:D Love it or Hate it :knife: ?
By Yeddi
Yes, we are being over run, not only with products but with popular culture, and Spelling... now American Speling is accepted in Australian(at least victorian) Schools. That i don't like it, though i can't say i'm suprised.
By FCP
It drives me nuts when I'm writing an assignment on just about any word processor, and I get spelling mistake underlines, because I don't use American English. :knife:
By Yeddi
Thats why mines all changed to the default English(UK)... i hate the way they assume English(Australian)=English(US)
By Proctor
What I don't understand is how there can even be an Australian or New Zealand version. I mean, it's either Americanized or not isn't it? :D
By FCP
Canadian english is, in a way, bastard english. It's a seemingly arbitrary fusion of American and British english. Though it tends to be more British than American.
By Tigerlily
Yes, you are right FCP. Officially, I believe proper Canadian spelling is the English (UK) spelling. But Americanized spelling is also accepted. I try to spell things the non-Americanized way but I always spelling it "cent e r". Haha, when I hit preview it changed to "centre".

But I do spell it neighbour, labour, favour, metre, etc.
By CasX
The height of bad American grammar was when they invented a term for it: American English. It's totally stupid, a contradiction in terms like 'Military Intelligence' or part of my maths course: 'Practical Trigonometry'.

I find it very easy to tell if a protest is peace[…]

@FiveofSwords I disagreed that capitalism is 'Je[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

For what? Not being Nazi enough? https://twitt[…]

Charles de Gaulle's (French president from January[…]