'Silent Coup' book title —How corporations rule the world w/Matt Kennard | The Chris Hedges Report - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
'Silent Coup'—How corporations rule the world w/Matt Kennard (on book tour for his new book). | by The Chris Hedges Report.

How the entire international trade and court system is designed to let corps plunder the developing world.
And, how corps subvert democracy to rule in the industrial world too.

I like Chris Hedges a lot.

Remove the [==] to see it.
https://www.you[==]tube.com/watch?v=1xRrk-cYU-E&list=TLPQMjgwOTIwMjN56b0DLKaXUg&index=19

Would we prefer governments totally ran the world?

An argument could be made that corporations lead to an increased level of democracy, versus all central command by government. At least decentralisation of power and decision-making.

The same reason that all the little shareholders usually end up with limited power over the corporation is the reason why voters typically end up with limited power over government, except even more so, since government is a much bigger organisation.

The decision-making with corporations may definitely not be equal, but this does not mean it does not help spread decision-making out and make economic decision-making more democratic than it would be if government made those economic decisions.
Rancid wrote:You prefer corporations running the world?

I would find it preferable for there to be some balance, rather than just all corporations, or all governments, running the world.

It's never a good idea to concentrate power too much.

If you remember history, even the Magna Carta was pushed by rich and powerful nobles to limit the power of the king. And if it wasn't for that, Western modern-style democracy may have never arisen as we know it. The common people often simply aren't in a position to stand up for their rights against a powerful government.
Puffer Fish wrote:I would find it preferable for there to be some balance, rather than just all corporations, or all governments, running the world.

It's never a good idea to concentrate power too much.

If you remember history, even the Magna Carta was pushed by rich and powerful nobles to limit the power of the king. And if it wasn't for that, Western modern-style democracy may have never arisen as we know it. The common people often simply aren't in a position to stand up for their rights against a powerful government.

Because they don't own stock, they are even less able to stand up against a corp with monopoly power for their rights.

And, Gov. may be limited by the Constitution, but it doesn't limit corps. Only the law does, and corps can get the laws changed or with enough control just ignore them.

It's not an inference that Hamas wants to kill be[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 13, Monday Churchill rallies nation Today[…]

Ok, I'm on board then. I'm pretty sure this is m[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://twitter.com/secretsqrl123/status/178988637[…]