Commercialization of American Churches - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
This is an American Church:

What are some good/bad things pertaining to this mode of religious zeal-from the perspective of these organizations themselves?

Good: It is easy to monetize these gatherings, allowing these protestant organizations to invest billions spreading their mantra across the world and thus grow.

Bad: It is exploitative and wasteful. Ethics also went out the window long ago. It is also prone to systemic corruption as the driving goal seems to be financial in nature. At least the Vatican pretends it isn't stealing from the poor. Here....it is hard to pretend.

Outsider perspectives:

Good: This seems like fun. A giant concert of sorts, more entertainment than church.

Bad: Corrupt evil organization preying on the ignorant. But then so is every major religion, to varying extents, feminism and liberalism included.
Did you happen to stumble upon this image upon the backlash towards Joel Osteen?

I guess it might speak to how degenerate religion can be in the US that something as openly self interested and greedy can get that many people.
AT the same time though, whilst there are televangelists, many of some faith likely ain't going to these money pits. But then, the distinction between this and the not so mega churches in their donations and amount of support might be scrutinized as well. Not all who are of the faith truly identify with their espoused religion.

But I don't get the sense it's all that concerned with religion and spirituality at all except as a means to an end. It's not the case of having social/organizational values that are necessarily mediated by requiring money to function, but it seems quite explicitly and more directly focused on profiting.
The point being that there is a qualitative difference between those that really motivated to some social end with human considerations and are required to raise funds compared to those who lose sight of everything in the pursuit of money itself, a perverted fetishism.

I bet you'd love to watch footage of her being ra[…]

I don't really think there is a fundamental diffe[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is because the definition of "anti-semi[…]

I want the Colleseum and Circus Maximus back to e[…]