Dante's Divine comedy - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By TROI
Has anyone read this book? I found it gave a good insight into the the mentality of fundimentalist christians and why they do the things they do. Also I found the fact that traitors to their country got the worst part of hell all to themselves, as a good sign of how the church helped keep the working class in line during medieval times.

Matt
By S. P. Laroche
I've read Inferno, and I found it odd that everyone Dante liked was in Hell, as well as all those he hated. Seems more of a "holier than thou" thing on Dante's part.
By Truth-a-naut
I actually started reading it last night, I stopped at the level of hell were its snowing and there is that cerberus creature.
By TROI
It is also funny how most of the popultion of hell is made up of character's from Greek myth's and plays. Most of the book is BS but it is interesting seeing which sins get the harshest punishments in Dante's eyes.

Matt
By The Red Goblin
The Inferno is easily the best of the Divine Comedy. If you don't like it don't even pick up the others. The inscription on the Gates of Hell made a nice sign above my dorm room in college; "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here." :evil:

If it were written today, I wonder who would be at the center of attention in the inner most circle. Written to please the Medici princes of Florence, Dante made "Treachery" the worst sin. This was a round about way of letting the Florentine retainers know what was in store if they betrayed their master.

What is the greatest "sin" today, and who would take the place of Brutus, Crassus and Judas?
By Esteban
Divine Comedy is one of my favorite pieces of literature.
By Lohr
Is it just me, or do the punishments for the sins in INFERNO seem just a bit harsh?

a nice example would be the punishment for flattery:....swimming in excrement for all eternity.

Can someone even tell me how in the flaming hell flattery can be considered a sin?
TROI wrote:a good sign of how the church helped keep the working class in line during medieval times.

During those times I believe it was the working class which was predominantly fundamentalist Christian, while the ruling elites were lax believers or aethists.
By Liberal
Dante`s "Devine comedy" is very good. But, I find it to have a lot of political propaganda in it. He was pro-Holy Roman Emperor, so he placed most of the popes in the hell :)
By fastspawn
does anyone remember where he placed saladin? i remember it was quite distinct.
By Lohr
what I want to know is has anybody read purgatorio or paradiso....or is inferno the most widely read?

Tibetan monks have genes that increase their abil[…]

No. So you agree that the IDF is blocking comvoy[…]

@Pants-of-dog if I had to bet, I'm guessing that[…]

Women have in professional Basketball 5-6 times m[…]