Advice concerning the fate of a painting - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
A friend of mine has inherited a great deal of money and stuff. Among the stuff is a painting by an early American artist (I can't remember his name). A mutual friend- a graphic designer by trade- attracted by the date (1815), looked it up and found it to be the 'missing' painting of a 13 painting series of fruits. I should mention he is the last man standing of several generations of hard working, frugal people. Not upper-middle class, living on the hill in a house full of art objects but a modest house in a now gang riddled area. Since his parents died the house has been filled with junk. Not junque- junk. He kinda likes the painting which his grandfather won in a poker game in the 1940s. So, my inclination is to just let it be but something nags me to make the whereabouts of the painting known to parties of concern. I would do nothing without his consent, of course. Should I do nothing or is there any obligation to the art world to try?
A mutual friend- a graphic designer by trade- attracted by the date (1815), looked it up and found it to be the 'missing' painting of a 13 painting series of fruits.

'Missing' does not necessarily mean stolen - it simply means that the art world has lost track of it (unsurprisingly, if its previous owner lost it in a poker game). So long as your friend legally owns the painting (and I'm assuming that he does), there's no reason not to notify the relevant authorities that it exists - getting it valued might be the easiest way of doing that.

Look the Nazis are an interesting subject, but Hi[…]

I find it bizarre that people like @Unthinking M[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Muscovite schizophrenic Ivan Ilyin is quite lit[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 15, Wednesday Britons flock to the local def[…]