Now reading - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Andres
Harry Potter - the most over rated shit.

Why overrated? Its not like people claim that its a masterful work of literary art, it started as a kids book for christs sake. Its just the story gets more complicated as the characters age, and most of the story is quite enjoyable. I like it, but I wouldnt nominate it as book of the decade or the century.
By Le Rouge
Did you finish it? Granted most of the book is a little slow going, with not much happening, but it is all compensated at the end.

Have you read the ending to Spiderma... I mean Half-Blood Prince?
It was so cliché I almost puked, the book was practically written by a bunch of thirteen year old obsessed fans who wanted Harry and Ginny (why is Ginny so perfect all of a sudden?) and Hermione and Ron (which I have always hated the concept of) in the most cheesiest way.

Perhaps I'm just so upset that her book lacks quality.
By Andres
Perhaps I'm just so upset that her book lacks quality.

I think your problem is that you expect too much of it. It started as a kids book, what do you expect was going to happen? Then ending is interesting, and the romances in between make for a little comic relief and appeal to the core reader of the book.

Dont expect a lemon tree to give you oranges (so my granpa used to say ;) )
By Le Rouge
By literay quality, I mean in comparison to her previous books (particularily Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix).
By Andres
By literay quality, I mean in comparison to her previous books (particularily Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix).

Then I do agree with you on that account. The two previous books had been more entertaining and the story had been more interesting. This one is a little slow, and not much happens till the end. The only reason that I continued reading it is because I wanted to know what happens, not because it was so engrossing.

I did enjoy it, but I would not say it is great.
By QatzelOk
Capital, Karl Marx.

Along with several "reader's guide to..." accompanying books.

And some collected articles by Stalin.
By Lokakyy
Collection of writings by Carlo Ginzburg about the microhistorical method.
By Andres
Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther by Roland H. Bainton
By Lokakyy
Just started

Endurance and endeavour. Russian history 1812 - 1992. by J.N.Westwood
By Seán Himmelb(L)au
I'm reading Amsterdam by Ian McEwan, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and Homage To Catalonia by George Orwell again.
By Seán Himmelb(L)au
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan is brilliant. It's exactly the sort of style I myself write, and though I saw the twist at the end before it came it was better executed than I could have done myself. I recommend it.
By Lokakyy
Just started

Tschandala by August Strindberg. Unfinished books keep stacking on my bedside table...
By Spin
The Year of Liberty - Thomas Pakenham.
By galactus
Started reading PC Jersild "De ondas kloster", trying to read "A History of Inner Asia" by Svat Soucek at the same time:/.

Lokakyy wrote:Unfinished books keep stacking on my bedside table...

I know the feeling.
By Ford Prefect
Factotum by Charles Bukowski.
By Lokakyy
I know the feeling.

Reinforced by the fact that there is absolutely too many books that I want to read.

But - I finished Strindberg, so I'm entitled to start The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera.
By Aeschylus
Gulliver's Travels and Alan Bloom's The Closing of the American Mind

Both are positively exquisite!
By Truth-a-naut
Just finished Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy by Matthew R. Simmons.

Very good, I of course recommend it to anyone interested in the eventual collapse of the oil age.
By Subversive Rob
In terms of theory/philosophy I'm supposed to be reading Negri and Hardt's Multitude of which I am a third of the way through, however, I've been more preoccupied with numerous journal articles, so I haven't read it in a while. The first part (on war) is very interesting though.

When I'm at work there are plenty of empty spaces, so I get lots of fiction reading done, just finished re-reading Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon, which is a good book. Maybe tomorrow I'll start re-reading The Brothers Karamazov.

It is not a lie to say IAW has been allowed to go[…]

World War II Day by Day

Hitler didn't have a blitzkrieg strategy. Why do […]

Then you're confused as usual. You've claimed mul[…]

As Democritus said, “All that exists is the atom […]