Pascal: a waste of genius - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
By Ixa
I am reading Micromegas by Voltaire. Here is an interesting quotation therefrom:

". . . Pascal . . . later preferred to be a fairly mediocre metaphysician than a great geometrician."

What is your opinion on Pascal?
By Tam
I just finished reading the provincial letters along with his pensees. And after reading about his history I'm inclined to agree with you. He was undoubtedly a brilliant man, and based on what I've read had a great litery talent. But... I cant find myself agreeing with many of his philosophical beliefs. His wager for instance...kinda daft.
By Rust
"If you believe, and God exists, you gain everything. If you disbelieve, and God exists, you lose everything." - Blaise Pascal

Pascal's wager may not be so clean cut as he thought it was, but it still holds some truths.

Possible outcomes:

1. God exists and would punish you for not believing in him.
2. God exists but does not punish you for not believing in him.
3. God doesn't exist. There is no afterlife.
4. God doesn't exist. There is an afterlife.

The theist would benefit in possibilities # 1, 2 and 4.

The atheist would benefit in possibilities # 2 and 4

Sure, number 1 could be a slim possibility, because of the many different yet possible Gods. But slim or not, it's is better.

Also, these possible outcomes can be subdivided, or even made into new ones. Yet this does not make the "bet" a bad one, just less chances of it being the "best" one.

I find it very easy to tell if a protest is peace[…]

@FiveofSwords I disagreed that capitalism is 'Je[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

For what? Not being Nazi enough? https://twitt[…]

Charles de Gaulle's (French president from January[…]