Why there's no practical reason to be an atheist - Page 9 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
I too think quoting the Bible is the very weak argument. The words from the Bible prove only the words from the Bible. Of course, with having enough perverted mind it's possible to read there something about creation of the world. It's also possible to read there something about creation of Olympic games and about organization of public transport. And if to shuffle letters good, you can read there about all the history of Europe from Charlemagne to death of Napoleon. As with any other book. Because a man who reads that this way doesn't look the answers. He already knows the answers, they are all in his mind, so he doesn't get any info, he produces his own info onto a book. It's a mirror so broken it can only reflect itself.

What in reality the Bible is? It is a book containing two parts. The first part contains some writings of ancient nomadic tribes' myths, historical chronicles of these tribes organized to proto-states, political pamphlets against some honorable cattle breeders, some ancient poetry, fairy tales, writings of ritual singings. It lacks any consistency or logic or structure of material, and basically it is a literature trashyard of some boring middle-east ethnicity, filled with impossible levels of cruelty, amorality and sadism.

The second part is short stories about the Savior from four different authors who confuse most important details of this story even between themselves, the example of medieval fantasy mixed with the story of creation of a totalitarian sect, the favorite places from correspondence of this sect and finally another fantasy tale, this time without tries to somehow connect it to real history. Though the degree of violence is lowered in comparison with the first part, it's still amoral and disgusting.

The book is so senseless, illogical and opposite to conscience and common sense, that it was forbidden to read for centuries by anyone not instructed properly before how to read this book correctly. Even though it became more opened in the last time, nobody still reads it except men who have professional interest in this and blind fanatics on the level they can read phonebooks and watch carpets like TV. It's just an impossible task to read it from the beginning to the end, and that's why absolute majority of Christians never did it. It is so bad book as a book, the only way for it to be considered a good book is a ready state machine with developed mechanisms of punishments, that can force everyone to consider it a good book and feed the structures of intellectuals thinking over methods of reading this book for simple folks, who yet cannot into doublethinking.
XogGyux wrote:So you are denying that the bible makes claims about the physical world? WOW

Strawman.

While the Bible does discuss the natural world, neither it nor the Christian religion were designed to explain the natural world.

The passages you quoted are treated as parables by most Christians, and are irrelevant to many theists.

This is why it doesn't support your claim.
The Bible tells of things that happened. It doesn't try to explain WHY it happened. Science is about the WHY. The Bible tells you a god made the universe, but doesn't try to explain it.

Science and religion operate on two different levels. Religion operates on the spiritual one, whereas science deals with the physical one.
Pants-of-dog wrote:....except I said it was not designed.

You said what it was not designed to do.
"While the Bible does discuss the natural world, neither it nor the Christian religion were designed to explain the natural world."
The obbvious inference from that is that is was designed for some other purpose.
Pants-of-dog wrote:....except I said it was not designed.

Your argument is weak. Even if i give you that point, that still do not address the fact that a large proportion of Christians today believe the bible is factually accurate and actively oppose science (similar with islamic faiths as well). Therefore the point that religion is trying to do the job of science is still strong. In fact the number of people who believe the bible is factual is in the double digit percent, some sources claiming as high as 40% of Christians while most agreeing that number is in the 30% range. And as result you get idiots like this to give you eternal fun:
Pants-of-dog wrote:And if something is not designed to do something, it is logical and possible that it was not designed at all.

And equally logical and possible to infer that it was designed to do something else.

I design power electronic systems for the control of quite large motors. These are not designed to cut hair. But that doesn't mean they are not designed at all.
Besoeker wrote:And equally logical and possible to infer that it was designed to do something else.

....unless it has been clarified that it was not designed. And since that is the case, it seems you are simply repeating this strawman over and over again.

I design power electronic systems for the control of quite large motors. These are not designed to cut hair. But that doesn't mean they are not designed at all.

I understand the concept, which is why I clarifed that I do not think religion is designed.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Again, that is the US.

It is illogical to assume that the rest of the world is as the US.

In the us... most of the Muslim word as well. The US is the only "highly religious" country that is also a well developed scientific powerhouse. Most other highly developed countries are far less religious than the us (e.g. Europe) so the clash between religion and science is much smaller. Most other highly religious countries (such as most of Latin america) are not as well developed so again, the clash is not impressive.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Please present evidence that most of the world believes in some sort of theist creationism at odds with science. Thank you.

Whether it is a majority or not it does not matter. The evidence exist for the clash between science and religion as I showed you before.

Not sure about what genocide you're referring to, […]

Not all classification of living organisms is arb[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting look at the nuclear saber rattling Pu[…]

I don't find it surprising mainstream media will a[…]