Friendship, Religion and Culture - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For the discussion of Philosophy. Discuss thought from Socrates to the Enlightenment and beyond!

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be debated in this forum, but those of religious belief who specifically wish to avoid threads being derailed by atheist arguments might prefer to use the Spirituality forum.
I read an article which said that 1 in 8 men in the UK don't have any "close friends". I figure this is probably close to the same in all developed countries, it is said to be even worse in some east Asian countries.

I wonder, what is friendship really and how does someone make close friends? The best advice I've come across is that "to have a friend you have to be a friend" although it is in practice often not that simple.

I think that one thing which friendship is, is that there is a somewhat shared identity. A close friendship is by nature exclusive of others. Liberals probably don't want men to have "close friends" because exclusive male groups would promote inequality or something but to have close friends is surely better than to not have close friends.

So what are people exclusive about and why? I think that religion is about being exclusive towards a base conception of human nature and to try and approach a better conception of it, often with your friends. This makes religion not just central to community, as has often been mentioned, but also central to close and healthy friendship. Similarly, a culture (or often, a subculture) is about differentiating yourself and your friends into an identity separate from what other people have.

Globalism, being against culture, and liberalism as against religion, are also adversarial in nature towards one of our most basic needs, the need for friendship. Society "atomizes" and people are alone as globalism and liberalism increase because religion and culture are key building blocks of a "real" or "close" friendship, as distinct from guys you just play games with, or occasionally drink with, or sometimes chat with.
Hong Wu wrote:I think that one thing which friendship is, is that there is a somewhat shared identity. A close friendship is by nature exclusive of others. Liberals probably don't want men to have "close friends" because exclusive male groups would promote inequality or something but to have close friends is surely better than to not have close friends.

Stopped reading after this line. Like you have such a victim mentality. You don't have close friends probably because you think too highly of yourself. People who cannot humble themselves to participate in social settings will never have close friends. It takes the seeking of social connection, putting yourself out there, having the possibility of your ego being destroyed by another person to become close friends. Nobody can hurt you as much as a close friend can hurt you. And no, liberals are not trying to keep you from having close friends, that might be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.
LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:Stopped reading after this line. Like you have such a victim mentality. You don't have close friends probably because you think too highly of yourself. People who cannot humble themselves to participate in social settings will never have close friends. It takes the seeking of social connection, putting yourself out there, having the possibility of your ego being destroyed by another person to become close friends. Nobody can hurt you as much as a close friend can hurt you. And no, liberals are not trying to keep you from having close friends, that might be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

I couldn't help throwing it in there because if families can cause inequality, and white male groups or male-only groups can cause inequality, and those things were called "close friends" in another time, it seems rational to conclude that the left doesn't want us to have close friends.

Serious question, if a bunch of arrogant dudes like me made an arrogant-guys-only club, do you think SJWs would be okay with it? Naturally we'd be in there talking about that time we grabbed a woman by the pussy and got away with it.
Hong Wu wrote:
I think that one thing which friendship is, is that there is a somewhat shared identity. A close friendship is by nature exclusive of others. Liberals probably don't want men to have "close friends" because exclusive male groups would promote inequality or something but to have close friends is surely better than to not have close friends.

Prioritization of group identity over individual identity is a hallmark feature of today's left. However, it is not a liberal value. Your statement likely has some truth, as there are leftists who hate men, especially white men, and have made blanket statements such as : "kill all white men." However, it is important that we make it clear that by espousing such values, they are not liberal.
Hong Wu wrote:I think that one thing which friendship is, is that there is a somewhat shared identity. A close friendship is by nature exclusive of others.

Not necessarily. Close friendships might be visualized as a Venn diagram. I doubt most people's close friendships are so completely sui generis as to not overlap even if it's a very small overlap.

Liberals probably don't want men to have "close friends" because exclusive male groups would promote inequality or something but to have close friends is surely better than to not have close friends.

I really don't think anyone with an ordered personality sees close friendships that way, although someone with serious control issues might.

So what are people exclusive about and why?

Mutually monogamous romantic relationships.
Hong Wu wrote:Serious question, if a bunch of arrogant dudes like me made an arrogant-guys-only club, do you think SJWs would be okay with it? Naturally we'd be in there talking about that time we grabbed a woman by the pussy and got away with it.

Friendship is a human need. Men also have a tendency to segregate themselves anyway. What a lot of "SJW's" have a problem with is white men purposefully excluding people from their institutional clubs (corporations, government) and not allowing other races and women to break into their clubs. A lot of it is unintentional, a lot of it isn't. But I don't think you'll ever hear someone who truly cares about left-leaning causes say they don't want people to have friendship. Does that mean that they'll want to be your friend? Not necessarily. That doesn't mean they don't want you to have friends.

Of course if you are a group of sexual-harassers that behavior is not going to be good. However, the friendship itself is not the problem. Friendship is proof that other people are still humans with the capacity for caring, or if you don't have friends that's ok too, but oftentimes the most redeeming quality of a conservative is the way they treat other individuals even if their beliefs would hurt a lot of people. I also would say that a conservative with no friends is a dangerous thing. Almost all mass killers that work alone have been some type of conservative, whether that be white supremacist or Muslim.

so upset at me for not wanting white people to n[…]

Note that my argument does not centre around not[…]

In order for me to believe someone is being sarca[…]

This morning, International Criminal Court Prosec[…]