Teh US vs Europe Flame thread (involves Football) - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

*Disclaimer*

This is not ment to be a personal flame thread or anything, more like a fun yet heated debate.

So......when are the Yanks going to change the name to Rugby? We (European elitists) know that Football is a game where people kick the round ball with their feet. Hence the name football. Fotball was invented in England a long time ago, and thus the name is rightfully theirs. Also, FIFA should get a copyright on the word, so that NFL had to change its name.

Ok, the gauntlet has been dropped.
Last edited by Comrade Ogilvy on 14 Feb 2005 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
By Prosthetic Conscience
'Rugby'? They better stay off that name too. If we want a truthful name, how about 'Amoured Collisions'? Half of the team never expect to pick up the ball, let alone kick it - they're just there to crash into other people. Not that it's a bad sport to watch, mind you.
By Briton
American football is a mutation of rugby, except they get to wear huge pads, helmets, and get to dance when they score.

That reminds me, anybody been watchhing the 6 Nations Rugby?
By Boondock Saint
I think what everyone, especially the British are on about is that Rugby and SOCCER suck ass and Football (what is played in the NFL) is real sport played by men who are more like gods among us.

When you see a 7'1 350 pound monster crash into someone ... well ... I mean thats just good clean American fun!

The only thing better is to see someones leg bend all teh way backwards in half, now THERE is some family entertainment!

Toss in a few scantily clad cheerleaders flashing the crowd with their panties, some beer and blood and you got yourself a real party!

So in the end what we really should be applauding is global warming. Why? Because finally that little island called Britain will be washed away and so will their silly little games.

Oh and soccer is a great sport ... a great girls sport.
By Comrade Ogilvy
How many people watch a rugby championship?? :lol: :lol: Can the network charge 3 million for a 30 second commercial? :lol: :lol:
Texas high school football is more popular than rugby.
By uglygoat
how bout you rename soccer, ballet. and rename rugby a sport for olfs too stupid to wear pads?
By TROI
Can the network charge 3 million for a 30 second commercial?

Would any British companies be stupid enough to pay three mill for a 30 second commercial?

U$ iS tEh sUx0r!!11one
By Comrade Ogilvy
Would any British companies be stupid enough to pay three mill for a 30 second commercial?

U$ iS tEh sUx0r!!11one
:lol: You probably write this as youre drinking a Pepsi®. And if not you, chances are your neighbor is.

Dont know much about marketing do you? Trust me, they're not the stupid ones...
By era o divertimento
Haakon, the U.S. did quite well in the last World Cup if I remember correctly. They were even one disputed call away from taking the game against Germany into PKs. It was pretty thrilling stuff let me tell you.

How did Norway do, by the way?
By Boondock Saint
U$ iS tEh sUx0r!!11one

Oh pish. The English may have created the English language but Americans made it cool.

I think what that should read is ... COULD any British pay that much?
By Comrade Ogilvy
how bout you rename soccer, ballet. and rename rugby a sport for olfs too stupid to wear pads?

Howbout you rename (your) football gayball

since 90% of the time the players kiss eachother on the ground?

[/quote]
By Comrade Ogilvy
since 90% of the time the players kiss eachother on the ground?
:eh: WTF??
I guess some just see what they want to see...
By bradley
i call american football amball. Technically i think they have a genuine claim to the name football, but frankly its very misleading as a name, and certainly not what the rest of the world calls 'football'.
By Briton
exactly. its only americans who chose to call that 'football'. Is it just to piss off the rest of the world?
By uglygoat
:lol:

football is kinda gay what with all the tights and rear end touching...

not as nancy as the soccer leggings mind you, but close....

:lol:
By Lord_Tito
i tried to watch the final in american fotball but it was so slow!!! play 30 sec pause 5 minuts :eh: SOccer is boring to, no if you want to watch a spot you shall watch ice hocky ^^
By era o divertimento
I thought the CFL was only around to make Doug Flutie look good for awhile. They still exist? Why?

Yes, ice hockey is fun. They should start a league.

People from Europe did identify themselves as dif[…]

Homer Simpson explains the concept of sarcasm… h[…]

This morning, International Criminal Court Prosec[…]

It says in plain English "delays in movement[…]