2012-2013 Football Season - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Quantum
The football season began a few months ago and there ought to be a thread to commemorate the season, discuss the latest events of the various football leagues and so forth.
This is the first season that I've been paying real attention to football. My flatmate's a strong Celtic fan, but just generally keeps up to date so I get most of my info from him, after MOTD.

This season's interesting for Scottish football; although Rangers have disappeared, Celtic isn't simply breezing the SPL. There's a lot of contest with both the top spot being highly contested and even Dundee - who didn't budget for being promoted - are only four points away from 2nd to bottom (only 1 relegation spot in the SPL). Celtic is also one of only two teams to beat Barcelona this season. Pretty much everyone in Scotland (who is interested in football) celebrated this.

Ross County is a relatively small Highland team from only about 12 miles from where I grew up, but they seem to be surprisingly comfortable in the SPL. Their promotion has brought Highland football to the fore, which is kinda cool in my opinion.

I kinda agree with Jackal about Liverpool; Suarez is a diving, racist piece of shit. On the other hand, they play interesting football, and it's interesting to see Raheem Sterling coming through the ranks. For a young player he's more interesting for his ability to know where to be rather than being a flash in the pan, high speed striker.

Man Utd's tactic seems to be to go one or two goals down before actually playing. Every game I watch seems to be pretty predictable.

I've never liked Chelsea, but it's a shame for Di Matteo that he was given so little time to bring the team together.

Enough talking points? :p
Ross County is currently 4th in the SPL, and in their first season as well! Caley is vying with Motherwell for 2nd. At this rate we may well see both Highland teams hitting Europe for the first time each. Rangers going bust has been fucking great for Scottish football

Anyone else watching the Utd/Real game?
I think the Minnesota Vikings are in for a good year. We made it to the playoffs last year as a wild card, but due to a quarterback injury we couldn't make it any further. However the Packers are probably too good for us to expect the Vikings to be the NFC central champions. I'm still looking for another wild card bid and once your in the playoffs anything can happen.
Trust an American to conflate real football with handegg.

Manchester United was knocked out yesterday. Los Galácticos for the win.
Rangers going bust has been fucking great for Scottish football

Indeed, long may the scum languish in the lower leagues.
Rangers won't stay down for long. They have a large stadium and dedicated support, so will have the financial advantage in ticket sales and advertising. However, when they do return to the top flight they'll find the competition that much tougher than last year. The SPL/SFL shake up will distribute money much more evenly, and more teams will have European experience because they'll be taking up the slot left by Rangers' departure.
Rangers won't stay down for long.

In my heart of heats I am aware of that but let me have my moment of triumphalism.
The Clockwork Rat wrote:Wrong football pal.

Um, what do you mean? There is only one football.
Trust an American to conflate real football with handegg.

Whats handegg? Some kind of European Easter celebration?
Here's some info on British football info if you need some. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/american-football-touchdown-london-8229362.html
The Clockwork Rat wrote::roll:

I'm not interested in squabbling over which football is which. The context is obviously soccer.

Ohhhh you guys were talking about Soccer. Um, It's alright, not very popular though. It's a sport that's mostly played by school kids, but they do have major league Soccer. It's never on T.V. though so I haven't had a chance to watch it.
American Royalty- Please don't troll their thread. An NFL thread will begin at some point, and you are more than welcome to post there to your heart's content.

We have enough trolling between Americans and everyone else over this as it is.

One point though,

Football has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with playing with your feet, nor a ball. As TiG has laboriously shown about 100 times, the name football refers to a game played on your feet as opposed to being mounted on a horse, which means all forms of football are completely, 100%, accurately named in all ways known to man, God, and midgets.

If I'm going to make attempts to keep your thread clear of American spam, please do learn and recognize this! Thanks!
The Russian owner of Reading Football Club succumbed to Russian Owner syndrome and sacked the manager who was not performing miracles. Brian McDermot had somehow managed to bring Reading up to the top of the Championship in a season where they had started with no such intention, but because he was not given a Premiership budget was landed with lower quality players than everyone else and struggled to keep up with the rest of the league.

Pretty much from the start of the season I had been rooting for Reading to stay up because although they kept losing, they were showing flashes of brilliance. If the club had hung on to McDermot for another couple of years they probably could have become a Premiership regular. Bloody Russians.
I can't believe how much time the BBC gave to his retirement.There could have been a small gang war and (as long as it wasn't in the south east where the people who matter live ) it would have got less air time.
Ugh. I'm happy that an English team won something but the idea that Rafael Benitez won something is unsettling. I hate that guy. And it is a very irrational hatred. I don't know him personally, I never listened to a goddamned thing he said. But he just looks as if he needs a swift kick in the nuts. He has a very unpleasant demeanor and isn't a particularly successful coach.

I always thought hatred was a rational emotion but here we are.

How do you stop social media, @QatzelOk ?

Actually, the university is on land that was stol[…]

Dude. Your dna literally makes you what you are. […]

See also voodoo economics, which started in the e[…]