AFL tips/thread - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By colliric
unbalanced zealot wrote:Buckley is former Port Adelaide (Magpies) ... so he's ok.

Speaking of former Port players Shaun Burgoyne is having a good year.

Yeah but frankly I agree with dad when he says at the moment he'd rather have Mark Williams return to Collingwood as the senior coach, or Rodney Eade shifted into the senior position. Bucks is frankly still quite inexperienced as a Senior Coach at this stage despite his years as an assistant.

Yeah we'll end up keeping him for a few years of cause, but if he doesn't learn to make "fuck'em we'll stuff their plan up" changes when we're obviously being outcoached, he won't be around for the same amount of time that Malthouse was(and Eddie would probably be gone too!).
By unbalanced zealot
Mark Williams would be good at Collingwood. At Port he had a bit of an entitlement thing going due to the history at the club.

I can really comment of Buckley as a coach because being out of Oz it's hard to follow the AFL closely. Who do you think would be a good coach for Port in 2013 now that Primus had his shot and didn't have the players to back him up?
By colliric
unbalanced zealot wrote:Mark Williams would be good at Collingwood. At Port he had a bit of an entitlement thing going due to the history at the club.

I can really comment of Buckley as a coach because being out of Oz it's hard to follow the AFL closely. Who do you think would be a good coach for Port in 2013 now that Primus had his shot and didn't have the players to back him up?

Mick Malthouse still wants to coach, I'm sure he'd put his hat in the ring, if Ratten doesn't lose his job that is(and he shoudn't, Carlton's only missed the finals twice during his run, they should give him his full contract).

While Williams would be good, you'd have to wonder if his appointment at Collingwood would also bring feelings of "entitlement" for him at our club as well even after all these years, after all he was a damn fine Collingwood Captain for many years too(hence that's why Dad thinks he'd specificially be great). I think there would be a few older people at the Club(Perhaps Eddie too) that wouldn't want him on the basis of he could be seen to represent the "bad ole collywobble days at Victoria Park" to the supporters.
By unbalanced zealot
Maybe he might be an option for Collingwood's at a later date. He will be waiting to see how GWS pans out.

A couple of questions ... Port had a pretty amazing team after its entry draft picks matured. If Brisbane (another draft bonus team) wasn't
so strong at the time Port could have had another flag. How far do you see GWS and Gold Coast going in the next 5 years, based on the 2012 season?

Also I noticed Hunt didn't play their last match. Was he dropped or rested or injured?
By Notorious B.i.G.
hehe, Collingwood misses out on top 4 due to %. I said so!
They might have to face up against NM again for first round finals, and they’ll get thumped again.
unbalanced zealot wrote: How far do you see GWS and Gold Coast going in the next 5 years, based on the 2012 season?
Also I noticed Hunt didn't play their last match. Was he dropped or rested or injured?

The statistics will show the GCFC had a better debut season than GWS, 4 wins to GC in 2011 to 2 wins to GWS in 2012 respectively.
But, having watched nearly every GWS game this season and about a third of the GC games this year and last year, I can say without a doubt that GWS is by far a better team. Key points are:
GWS won a quarter of football in their first game. It took GCFC 6 games to achieve that.
GWS average loosing margin is smaller than that of GCFC despite winning less games.
GWS has a much better list of younger players which they’ve signed on for the long term (mainly because they don’t have to pay big $$$ to 3 players, GaJ & Hunt.
That young list is just awesome. Jeremy Cameron. Toby Green (who avgs 28 touches a game, the best of any 1st year player ever) he will win a brownlow in the next 5-7 years for sure.
I could see GWS making finals football in 5 years time, but they’ll need to trade a few of the young players they have now in a year or two, free up some salary cap space and bring in some mid-age medium talent players, but who can play a full game of football and not command a large salary.
Maybe not see GC play finals within 5 years, as I don’t think they’ve the right structure in place.
By colliric
Notorious B.i.G. wrote:hehe, Collingwood misses out on top 4 due to %. I said so!

You forget that we play Essendon and West Coast plays top of the ladder Hawthorn(at the MCG)....

We win, they lose... we're in the top four on premiership points(WC would be 60, and we would be 64).

I doubt West Coast will beat Hawthorn(Premiership favourites for sure now), but you never know.

So yeah, it's not over yet and obviously you forgot the draw actually favours Collingwood to make the top 4 on points in this last round.

Hawthorn are favourites against WC, and we are favourites against Essendon... if that's how it ends, we go to 4th and West Coast will be 5th.
By Notorious B.i.G.
unbalanced zealot wrote:Thanks. That's interesting info.

Seeing as you mentioned you've watched a lot of GWS ... what's your take on Folau?

On the whole, worth his weight in gold to GWS.
But I’ll break this into two parts, playing Folau and non-playing Folau.

Playing, his wasn’t much chop this year. But he is an elite athlete and in time (if he has the commitment) will come good. Naturally gifted athletes like him can transfer their skills to any sport they put their mind to. I don’t think it is fair to write Folau off completely based off one year. Look at Hunt, he had a bad first year, many people said he wouldn’t be any good, but this year he has been very good, and from round 5-8 was one the best on ground for GCFC.
The other thing to note is that Folau was brought into to GWS to be a big body in the forward line. The needed someone like him there because all they had were young kids who couldn’t play many games and weren’t quite there yet, they were Jonathon Patton and Jeremy Cameron. But from game 1 Jeremy Cameron proved himself to be a superstar in the making. He kicked 5 straight goals, no points in his first 2/3 matches. So what happened was the Cameron was never rotated out of the squad which meant that Folau never got the game time he was going to get up forward.
But he has some talent, he is good in contested marks, great tackler. He just needs to spend some time in the reserves learning some finer points of the game, and getting his body right for the marathon that is AFL compared to sprit that is NRL.

Non-playing. Folau is a marketing machine. It is estimated that in the week alone he announced he was going to GWS he generated $9m worth of press and media. Far out stripping his salary cost. He was the face of the club, the membership cards have Folau’s picture on them. GWS has had a pretty ordinary season, and as you would except a club languishing at the bottom of the ladder will not get much attention, especially in what has been the most even and thrilling season for the top 8! The whole will he/wont he saga of Folau keeps attention on GWS that they otherwise wouldn’t get. Also, when Folau kicked his first goal in a game the team got thumped in, it was a leading news sport story in Victoria and even here in NSW*.

So on the whole, Folau has been great for the Club, and I think if he is willing to stick it out, has some potential to be a decent footballer.

* Just want to note, am a Victorian currently living in NSW. Born and bred Melbourne Demons supporter, but this year bought a GWS membership as well as my MFC membership (I have three because also MCC member). I did so because it gave me a ticket to go to games here in Sydney and also, I LOVE afl want to see it be successful in NSW, so I see buying a membership as supporting AFL as a sport. Hence why I’ve watched 21 out of the 22 GWS games this year.

Crollic: you do raise a good point, but I’m not convinced. Collingwood are doing what they do best, implode before a final series, losing to North then getting thumped by WC (yes it was a Subiaco but they shouldn’t have lost so badly!) . Dropping Dawes is a mistake, they need to drop Cloke. And the other thing is, with Essendon, who knows what the hell they’ll do on any given day.
By colliric
We need the Hawks to win tonight, then we should best Essendon. After all Essendon lost to Melbourne! I'm more worried the eagles will upset Hawthorn. Oh and Dawes needs a go in the seconds... You don't drop a player that your fighting against Carlton to keep. FUCK CARLTON.. If that's what it took to get Bucks to give Cloke a run then so be it. Dawes in the seconds and Cloke being th main target! Any other day, yeah drop Cloke, but not the week Carlton make a bid for both Malthouse and Cloke... Fuck that idea.
By unbalanced zealot
Really brief reply ... yep I agree with everything you wrote about Folau.

Hunt has really made progress with his game now he is settled.

When I was based in Canberra in 2011 I met someone who was a West Coast supporter who moved from Perth for work and he was going to buy GWS membership.
They probably have decent a fan-base just with AFL expats and Canberra on top of western Sydney folk.

Also ... [whisper] ... I fucking hate NRL ... stupid game with morons who follow it IMO. NRL sucks ... and when they are doing it they probably have 5 of their team mates standing around naked jerking each other off. It's that kind of game and culture. Fuck NRL ... I'd be happy to see GWS relegate NRL over time if it possibly could happen. Basically they have a chance because frankly AFL is a better game. [/whisper]

Oh yeh ... fuck Carlton too. [edit] (figuratively speaking)
By Notorious B.i.G.
I agree with your assessment of NRL. I love sport, I follow a few sports and are quite happy to watch on TV most sports (trying to get into EPL this year now that I have Foxtel), but I just can’t get into NRL. I don’t get it. I don’t care for it. I can’t see its appeal.
Maybe that’s just my upbringing, as a Vic taught to hate NRL with a passion.

Ah Carlton's not too bad. The worst is Collingwood, the old ABC rule applies all the time! Who have you got an elegance for UZ?

You are right about GWS supporters, the games I go I've met two types of supporters, families, who's kids want to support GWS so the adults did, and ex-pat Southern Staters.
By colliric
Rumors flying around today that Eddie is talking to Fev and Barry Hall should cloke leave. Interesting.
By unbalanced zealot
Actually when I mentioned "5 of their team mates standing around naked" etc etc. Ricky Nixon, Brendan Fevola and a couple of St Kilda players could well be doing the same thing in the adjacent hotel room for all I know :hmm: . Fevola is in his early 30s and Hall would be in his mid 30s by now, not sure if they are a better option than an emerging young player if they can find the right one.

BTW - I'm a third generation Port Adelaide supporter (back from when they were Magpies and played in B&W thru to Port Power as it haplessly stumbles around in 2012).
By colliric
I don't think Collingwood supporters cared that we should be the only magpies... It was Eddie alone who did, probably for the financial reasons. Certainly we were all cheering for the Magpies when they beat Brisbane in 2004! I thought that would have been a sweet victory for Williams knowing he also defended his other club's consecutive premierships record!
By unbalanced zealot
Actually I'm ok with the Power name + even the guernseys since they gave black prominence over aqua. But fuck (figuratively) Eddie McGuire when it comes to the heritage round.

Yep - the 2004 Premiership had to happen. Port were winning minor Premierships in the preceding years and it would have been tragic if that team had wasted all that effort.

In the Grand Final it was Wanganeen that made the difference in the 3rd and early 4th quarters when the game was there to be won or lost.

My sister lived in Queen Street in Alberton which was a wind assisted punt from the oval/club rooms. When I lived in the area I followed the teams closely but in Korea I hardly have the time or the opportunity to get a good feel for where the club and the players are at.

The move in a couple of years to Adelaide Oval will be great for the club. Football Park is a headfuck to get to and is too wide-open when the weather is bad.
By unbalanced zealot
Add:

I lived in Fitzroy for a while and could work through the gardens to the MCG. I also lived in Perth where my girlfriend (now wife) and I lived in Claremont which is only a few train stops from Subiaco when we went to Freo games. Subiaco is one of my favourite places to watch football ... much much better than Football Park in Adelaide. Adelaide Oval is excellent tho. and AFL games can't come soon enough there.

Never actually went to any AFL games in Canberra when we lived there. Always seemed to have something else on when the games were being played.
By colliric
Speaking of walking home from football, No cash for a bus so I once walked home from Waverley after Collingwood lost to St Kilda once in 1994... It was almost 4 hours just to get back to Chadstone(where home was)... Ironically I actually miss Waverley because it's the ground I mostly went to as a kid.

I'm still emotional over how the Council stuffed the planning for that ground right up. It needed a train connection and all parking exits to beopen for every game.
Without that it was massive stadium in the middle of a fricken literal paddock in what was then nothing but farms and golf courses and an also oddly placed Police Academy...

It has already been explained that this type of c[…]

For me Republicanism is masculine and monarchism i[…]

Please provide it again. You have no problem aski[…]

Sure, keep thinking that. Election year is caus[…]