Best international sport rivalry - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Oxymoron wrote:Who cares about Canada? The real rivalry was USA vs USSR, because of the political implications.

Indeed.

I don't believe the USSR even thought of Canada except as America's retarded cousin. :eh:

The English have a one-sided rivalry with Germany in soccer on account of getting Blitzkrieged. The Germans are just like 'whatever, get over it'. :lol:

Azale wrote:recent times, USA v. dirty chinese communists in the olympics

Nah, I think Americans are rather sore losers and not in the best shape anyways.

The best current international rivalry is probably India and Pakistan since most Jews don't play sports. :p
Xopolis wrote:Need I remind you clunkers we are talking about sports rivalries and not strictly political rivalries?

But the rivalries just get so much better when there's a bunch of hatred underneath. :D

Sports are really rather meaningless so it's good to inject a little importance into them.
In the last few years, USA vs Canada, in any sports, have been a pretty good rivalry. Canada's showing at the last Winter Olympics cemented that rivalry.

The Canada vs Russia rivalry has diminished, somewhat.
all time, easily USA v. dirty russian communists in the olympics

recent times, USA v. dirty chinese communists in the olympics

I love this.
This discussion is very much concentrating on the northern hemisphere, and more precisely North America/USSR.
Aren't there any other important sport rivalries in the "south"? Rugby and Australia was a good example, but there has to be more...
By the way, how do you all qualify what "best" is? Does it take into account most fierce rivalry, or oldest and well-intentioned?
Lensky1917 wrote:I don't believe the USSR even thought of Canada except as America's retarded cousin. :eh:

I know you weren't being literal, but for the record the Soviets knew what Canada was about all to well.

Canada was seen as a neutrality that aided the United States in political support.

Basically like the Scandinavian countries. If anything, Canada's highly liberal policies and strong relationship with the U.K. made them look better than the Americans in near every way.

And I agree with the OP, nothing beats Canada vs. Russia in hockey.

The only second is Pakistan vs. India in Cricket and....everything.

In Football I'd peg to say Germany vs. Italy or France vs. Italy.
Aren't there any other important sport rivalries in the "south"? Rugby and Australia was a good example, but there has to be more...

see my first post.

You are right - I have basically given up on this forum because its basically nothing but American sport - especially that wretched ice hockey - and yes its *ICE* hockey - not "hockey". Hockey is played on green astroturf, outdoors with not a hint of ice. And for the record, Australia is the world's best at that.

Then what is my argument? That cops disproporti[…]

FiveofSwords you are severely misinformed about h[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Today I learned that Ukraine is not allowed to use[…]

This way started because the Israeli government a[…]