Lets talk Olympics - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Rancid
I wonder how much it requires forcing in the end, considering that a career as a national athlete targetting the olympics must be quite an opportunity for an individual in a country like China.

I agree, I think that anyone that is chosen by the government to train in a specific area will gladly do it.

1) Unlike in the west, there is a lot of nationalism in Asia, so representing your country like that would be a huge honor.
2) It's not like you can make a good living easily in China, so this could be your ticket out of the ghetto. Not everyone gets to become educated as easily as you could in the west (if you actually put in the effort, which so many don't).

I agree, so it's not coercion by the government entirely, but these people do not get to pick the sport they will train in. They are assigned based on their abilities. Whereas in the west, the athletes generally choose the particular sport as a child and weren't assigned to it (well, unless they have shitty parents that force them into a particular sport, but the point is, it's not an institutionalized thing like it is in some Asian countries). In the end, I don't think it matters all that much, but I think the assigning people to sports method is a little cheap. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that countries like NK or China shouldn't be allowed to do that, but I can't be convinced that doing that is in the spirit of the games. After all, the games are supposed to be apolitical, and if the government is cherry picking and trying to build up some sort of super national team, then the country is obviously viewing the games as some sort of way to make a political statement, which is against the spirit of the games.
Last edited by Rancid on 31 Jul 2012 22:07, edited 2 times in total.
Unlike in the west, there is a lot of nationalism in Asia

:?: Nationalism is rampant in the west. In many of Asia's developing societies, people don't have time to chant nationalist slogans, they have to get food into their bellies.
By Rancid
Nationalism is rampant in the west. In many of Asia's developing societies, people don't have time to chant nationalist slogans, they have to get food into their bellies.

What on earth are you smoking? Rampant nationalism in the west? The west is far more concerned with consumerism and individualism than any concept of national identity, family, community, duty, or honor. The west seeks to destroy the concept of borders all together. How on earth is this nationalistic? The west is far more concerned with creating the facade of some grand melting pot in all its major cities. The west wants to create a world where nationality doesn't exist. Jesus Igor, you are snorting something awesome. I'd love some of that shit. If you're going to claim that the west's neocolonialism is an extension of its nationalist agenda, I would tell you that bullshits. It's an extension of it's desire to consume more and more, make money for private business and people, and nothing else.

As for Asian nationalism. Asia is the region of the world that probably has the strongest amount of nationalism. Most especially China, Korea, and I'm sure you can count Japan as well. China in particular is becoming more blatant with its displays of nationalism and national pride. There is even an uptick in nationalist based hatred and attacks on foreigners within China. There are plenty of articles out there talking about the rise of Chinese nationalism.

Again, overall, I don't think nationalism in itself is bad (I identify as a civic nationalist), it's only bad when it's coupled with arrogance.
Last edited by Rancid on 01 Aug 2012 05:21, edited 4 times in total.
I just want to add something extremely constructive

I’d totally band Zara Phillips, but only if she were wearing her equestrian hat and boots :D
By Magnetonium
For me, the highlight of the Olympics so far has to be either the funny article on distribution of 10,000 condoms in Olympic village (and complaints that THIS MIGHT NOT BE ENOUGH) and THIS:

North Korean weightlifter, Om Yun Chol, after he won Olympic gold:

"I believe the great Kim Jong Il looked over me. ... I am very happy and give thanks to our Great Leader for giving me the strength to lift this weight. I believe Kim Jong Il gave me the record and all my achievements. It is all because of him."

Oh dear ...
By Magnetonium
Also, I think that this was a very good decision for Olympic sport:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetorch/2012/ ... -are-booed

Eight players from four teams in the women's doubles competition have been thrown out" of the London Olympics for allegedly deliberately trying to lose their matches, The Telegraph is reporting.

The Associated Press has moved this "alert":

"Indonesian official: 8 badminton players disqualified from Olympic doubles for trying to lose."

And the BBC is saying that:

"The eight Olympic doubles players charged by the Badminton World Federation for 'not using one's best efforts to win a match' have been thrown out of the Games.

"South Korean third seeds Ha Jung-Eun and Kim Min-Jung, Indonesian pair Meiliana Juahari and Greysia Polii, plus China's Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli and another South Korean duo Jung Kyung-eun and Kim Ha-na have all been disqualified."
By Rancid
That still just as shameful, and in addition, it's gay. Looks like the NK government has turned all its men into pussies that have no confidence in their own abilities.
By fuser
Who the fuck came up with the idea of yellow ball over blue turf in hockey, then they have totally fucked up any shred of transparency that existed in boxing matches.

And yes "Go China Go" :D
By Otebo
Only last January harrowing photographs were posted on the internet showing Chinese children crying in pain as they were put to work.

In case they had forgotten why they were there, a large sign on the wall reminded them. ‘GOLD’ it said simply.

Charges are often taught by rote that their mission in life is to beat the Americans and all-comers to the top of the podium.

How China trains its children.
By Stranger
The first picture looks quite disturbing, yes, and I'm sure some horrible stuff is used for training purposes in China, but the question remains whether this is widely spread or only happening on occasion. Given the insanely large population I would guess that you get near perfect athletes statistically even without such methods.
By Rancid
Even if it were happening on occasion, I'd argue that's pretty fucked up and unacceptable. You know, it only takes one instance of trauma to fuck someone up mentally.
By Stranger
Rancid wrote:Even if it were happening on occasion, I'd argue that's pretty fucked up and unacceptable. You know, it only takes one instance of trauma to fuck someone up mentally.

Full agreement, I just meant that such things should probably be expected, considering the vast disparities in China today, I didn't intend to justify it.
The fact that this comes from the bloody Daily Mail confirms my suspicion that it's not exactly representing the whole of China.
No context is provided, the daily fail and the western brainwashed are simply at it again.

The pictures have nothing to do with any olympics preparation, it's circus training, it's a selective school for that purpose.

[youtube]uH-jQN3Ln60[/youtube]

Visit your local ballet/circus or gymnast training school here in Australia/wherever you live. It's just like this. The training regimen is brutal, and they train every day.
unbalanced zealot wrote:Gold medals ... Australia 1 South Korea 6 North Korea 4 :lol:

Apparently - free to air coverage in Australia is fucking terrible.

It is! Along with our Olympic team... But I have Foxtel. So lots of sport for me without channel fucking 9.

The October 7 attack may constitute an act of att[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]