Noise pollution from the car - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about sports cars, aeroplanes, ships, rockets etc.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Last night, I forgot to close my bedroom window before going to sleep. So, I was awoken at 2 am by somebody unlocking their car. As it is a "safety" feature of most new cars, the little SUV honked its horn affectionately at the owner as he confidently squeezed the remote control keychain.

Beep! Beep!

This particular feature ensures that there is a horrible, panic-inducing noise every fifteen minutes, from 8 am until the last person drives back to suburbia from their late-night job they need to pay for their car.

In the meantime, the mayor of Montreal has promised to "do something" about noise pollution. I think he might want to call the car companies and ask them if they'd mind letting people sleep first.
By Dr House
take some sleeping pills
By QatzelOk
Exactly my point.

How many other nuisances has Consumer Culture man had to "take sleeping pills" for throughout the Era of Invention$?

I mean, if cars are so great, why do you have to take sleeping pills because of them?

Does this even register in your mind, or are you too frazzled from all the noise to even think properly?
By Dave
In fairness if anyone other than Qatz made this post people would discuss it seriously. Qatz is right, noise pollution in urban areas is atrocious, even at night.
By Dr House
Does this even register in your mind, or are you too frazzled from all the noise to even think properly?

I can think just fine. I actually don't mind noise at all. I like waking up and hearing traffic in the background.

Like I told you before, if civilization bothers you that much find a nice rural area to live in.
By Dr House
And you accuse me of making contentless posts. :roll:
Last edited by Dr House on 05 Sep 2008 02:49, edited 1 time in total.
By QatzelOk
In your above-post, you refer to the noise that cars make as "civilization."

Do you even know what civilization is?

I'll give you a hint: it's about being able to live with other people. If you can't share a space with other people - because you are addicted to noise-making toys that can kill - then you are not really civilized, and should be living apart from society.

That so many people in Consumer Culture have been rendered selfish gluttons who don't respect or acknowledge the existence of others... this will bring the entire "civilization" - that these Consumer Drones have created with their layers of texts - crashing to the ground.

---

Also, this car-horn-when-you-lock-up is just the latest stupid invention that doesn't take into consideration the basic needs and desires of humans. How many other perfectly balanced and harmonious things have been sacrificed in the name of these silly consumer crap trends?

Was life 5000 times better before all this technology went onto the free market?
Last edited by QatzelOk on 09 Sep 2008 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
By QatzelOk
Here's another thing to ponder.

Cars are often made with incredible sound dampening, so that you can barely hear what is happening outside.

And they are equipped with car horns that inspire panic.

Doesn't this seem like a bad combination? Deaf on the inside, armed with a siren-like horn on the outside.

It means that when you beep your horn, the other cars are the least likely to be disturbed. ...?... This is who is usually supposed to be hearing it, and no one else.

I don't think the people living in the upstairs apartments need to know that you were cut off by a Subaru. And if they lose sleep or concentration, this is a horrible attack on the basics of quality of life.
By mburmei1
You wouldn't like being my neighbor then. Guaranteed to hear me rumble up the driveway every thurs/friday/saturday at 4:00 a.m. when I get off work.
By Evilive
My car makes a horrible loud beep when I hit the lock function, to tell me it is locked.

My grandpas car makes a bird chirping noise when he locks his. :lol:
By QatzelOk
My car makes a horrible loud beep when I hit the lock function, to tell me it is locked.

It also tells everyone else to WAKE UP BECAUSE EVILIVE JUST LOCKED HIS CAR!!!

Do you see how technology like this reduces everyone's quality of life in order to reward ONE SINGLE CONSUMER with some useless bells and whistles?
By Evilive
Do you see how technology like this reduces everyone's quality of life in order to reward ONE SINGLE CONSUMER with some useless bells and whistles?

Yes, I am in the habit of just locking it manually instead of using the remote. Though I do it when I get home because I have nobody living close(only way to activate the security alarm), our only neighbors moved. I live in the middle of nowhere(suburbia).
By Dr House

Don't care. Don't like it? get some earplugs, I'm not breaking the law.
By sploop!
^ Free market free for all. Freedom. Cry freedom.

Selfishness sucks. Really it does.
By Dave
House, noise technically infringes on your property. In fact, a standard feature of property law in common law systems is that you have the right to "quiet enjoyment" of your property. Why are you defending noise pollution? It's not positive in the narrow capitalist sense or in a broader quality of life sense.
By Dr House
I just like annoying Qatz. :D
By sploop!
I'm not sure how you dressing up as a troll is going to annoy Qatz... :?:
By QatzelOk
That this isn't illegal means that you - Dr House - require laws to make you behave in a social way.

You are the reason for huge government, because without mutual respect and civil common sense, we are all property of the nanny state who makes the laws to prevent hellish antisocials from destroying the fabric of our society.

So when you're not crying for less government, you're making it clear that you are the reason big government exists. Because many members of society don't have the morality or common decency required of independent adults.

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]