China to Spend $275 Billion On 5y Clean Air Plan For Beijing - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
China plans to invest 1.7trn yuan (£180bn) to combat air pollution over the next five years, as the new government's seeks to address a key source of growing social discontent.

The money is to be spent primarily in regions that have heavy air pollution and high levels of dangerous microscopic particles, according to the state-run China Daily newspaper.

It quoted Wang Jinnan, vice president of the Chinese Academy for Environmental Planning, as confirming the programme.

The investment is larger than the total economic output of Hong Kong in 2012 and underlines how the government is eager to bring about a visible improvement in China's bad air.

China Daily said the plan targets Beijing, the neighbouring port city of Tianjin and densely populated Hebei province, which surrounds them.

http://news.sky.com/story/1120314/china ... or-beijing

This is an enormous investment. What will they do? I assume they will modernize all factories and power plants in the region and do more to mitigate desertification just north-west of Beijing.
Rei brings up great points. Hopefully this is legit. I have a friend living in Beijing who has described apocalyptic conditions I have trouble even comprehending.
Rei Murasame wrote:China might also be able to attract more tourists if their air isn't chewable. On the other hand, the whole thing might be an investment into the back pockets of completely useless companies who won't do anything at all.

Agreed. Those officials will likely employ companies which is opened by their relatives, quote insane prices and deliver medicore show projects. Maybe employ a few obscenely expansive white engineers too.
Things will improve a little bit, but in a few months everybody would have forgotten about it...until the next government step in and - repeat the process.
Welcome to China.
benpenguin wrote:Agreed. Those officials will likely employ companies which is opened by their relatives, quote insane prices and deliver medicore show projects. Maybe employ a few obscenely expansive white engineers too.
Things will improve a little bit, but in a few months everybody would have forgotten about it...until the next government step in and - repeat the process.
Welcome to China.

See Igor's response above. We see this happening most everywhere. Here is Oz, the school infrastructure and home insulation schemes both show how government money is rorted. I could go on.

I have discussed the problem of pollution with a fellow from China. I cited the UK example of how a very polluted place such as London was turned around into a fairly clean place in the 1970's (the Thames being referred to as the upside down river before the 1970's as it was so filthy). His reply was that British industry had collapsed by that time as so it wasn't so hard to clean the place up without industry.
That's one of the biggest reason for our pollution. In the beginning, to pull our economy up we have to rely heavily on industrialization. People don't have any sense to protect the environment, nor do they have the ability to do so.

Now that manufacturing is slowing down and government regulation starting to step in, I will really expect a lot of improvements in a few decades. Beijing was a very beautiful city, much less now because of pollution and desertization. Would be nice to see it return to its former glory.
Agreed. Those officials will likely employ companies which is opened by their relatives, quote insane prices and deliver medicore show projects. Maybe employ a few obscenely expansive white engineers too.
Welcome to China.

It has become a trend to distrust anything and think any funding for good purposes will end up corrupted. On one side, this distorted mentality has its roots and can in fact exert pressure on the government. On the other hand, these people exaggerating the negative side of anything are the same people fabricating rumors and contributing to spreading them. And I have grown a great deal of disgust by reading such baseless but assertive comments from Chinese media.
Powerup / Igor:
I did. I am from Hong Kong, when I was a kid I visit China occasionally. Then I went to Australia for 7 years (Been around China from time to time for tours), now I am back for 6 months. The changes are huge. The disappointment I am referring to is this sort of public projects.

High tech infrastructure? Luxury hotels? Ridiculous high rises? DONE. Every company is basically rushing to churn out as many as possible. But public projects are quite often a let down because government money is very unaccountable. They get lost in deep pockets and the project turns into piles of crap. Collapsing bridges, brand new trains running off track, giant empty cities etc.

Mind you, I'm not your typical Chinese liberal. I support the rule of the government, I don't care too much about democracy. But at the same time I also want the people in charge to be more sensible and effective.
Collapsing bridges, brand new trains running off track, giant empty cities etc.

None of these are widespread, or even problems. I took special notice the last couple of times I visited, because I'm into infrastructure and construction. A giant empty city now is a giant full city 10 years from now. These were popping up all over the place in the 90's and now shanty towns are a rarity. And the newest infrastructure is excellent-I wish Australia had railways and roads that were of the kind I saw-and so widespread. There is a reason China and Germany have had token high speed rail accidents-they use them more than others by far.

@FiveofSwords In previous posts, you have sai[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 23, Thursday Fascists detained under defense[…]

Taiwan-China crysis.

War or no war? China holds military drills around[…]

Waiting for Starmer

@JohnRawls I think the smaller parties will d[…]