Dalai Lama's choice tells of misery - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
MADRID (AFP) — While the Dalai Lama is on a tour of Europe, a Spanish man who he proclaimed to be the reincarnation of a Tibetan Buddhist spiritual leader has spoken of his unhappy childhood at a monastery and his decision to abandon the faith.

Osel Hita Torres made world headlines in 1986 when the Dalai Lama recognised him, then aged 14 months, as the reincarnation of Lama Yeshe, who had died in California two years earlier.

He had been brought to see the Dalai Lama in India by his parents and ended up living at a monastery there, where he was only allowed to socialize with others who had been proclaimed reincarnations, until he turned 18.

But even though many Buddhists worshipped him almost as a god, Torres said in a rare interview published over the weekend in Spain that he feels the experience stunted the development of his personality.

"Psychologically, everything affected me very much. I still feel fury inside and, sometimes, when it comes out, it causes me to lose control and I get depressed," Torres, 24, told daily newspaper El Mundo.

"They took me away from my family and stuck me in a medieval situation in which I suffered a great deal. It was like living a lie," added Torres, who now describes himself as a "spiritual scientific agnostic".

When he was eight, he managed to have a tape recorded message expressing his unhappiness delivered to his mother, who took him away from the Sera monastery.

But Torres said he quickly volunteered to return because of the pressure he felt over being considered to be the reincarnation of Lama Yeshe.

After leaving the monastery for good when he turned 18, he spent a year in Canada followed by six months in Switzerland where he studied philosophy, human rights, art and French.

Torres, who said that for a time he lived at the monastery next to the cabin of actor Richard Gere, who he described as a "great guy, very nice", is now studying film in Madrid.

He said some aspects of life outside of the monastery really surprised him, such as seeing people kissing in public, and described the bewilderment he felt during his first visit to a nightclub.

"I was amazed to watch everyone dance. What were all those people doing, bouncing, stuck to one another, asphyxiated and enclosed in a box full of smoke? This is music? It sounds like noise. It hurts my ears. It seemed like the strangest thing in the world," he said.

"What is important for me now is to do something that makes me feel useful, to find a direction to put my energy," he added.

Asked if he would like to make a movie about his life, he said: "No, my life is too complicated to make a movie. They have proposed writing a biography about me but it would have to wait until after I die because some people would be scandalized."

The Dalai Lama, who has lived in exile in India since 1959, is the most famous of a lineage of reincarnated spiritual leaders.

The 73-year-old began a visit to Europe on Friday that will take in Denmark, Iceland, Poland, France and the Netherlands.
Link

All religion should be banned!
By hussainmehdi
dalai lama is a religious personality,
dalai lama is not a politician,

it is amazing that,

on one hand, west does not allow religion to interfere into state or politics,
on the other hand, the same west accepts dalai lama as a politician or a state authority,

dalai lama should go china and ask an apology from chinese nation,
and start a normal religion based life in tibet,

and leave the politics on chinese politicians.
By Vladimir
The "Dalai Lama" is a dickhead and a corrupt self-serving political pawn
By Watermoon
With some recompose it would be a nice nursery rhyme.
dalai lama is a religious personality,
dalai lama is not a politician,

it is amazing that,

on one hand, west does not allow religion to interfere into state or politics,
on the other hand, the same west accepts dalai lama as a politician or a state authority,

dalai lama should go china and ask an apology from chinese nation,
and start a normal religion based life in tibet,

By Suska
OP: "Dalai Lama says he was sad as a kid"

Chinese Poster: Dalai Lama is not a politician!
Random PoFoite: Dailai Lama is a dickhead!

:lol:

I think he led a very interesting life
By Vladimir
Chinese Poster: Dalai Lama is not a politician!

Dude can't you tell by his name that hussainmehdi is Pakistani ? :roll:
By Douglas
He is a political and religious leader of what should be an independent theocratic state. You can be both and he is. Just because the West doesn't operate in a similar manner doesn't mean other states and leaders can't.

You mean the torture, oppression and slavery.

dalai lama should go china and ask an apology from chinese nation

For what?
By Okonkwo
Douglas wrote:He is a political and religious leader of what should be an independent theocratic state.

I also think it is important to mention that before the Chinese forced him out of Tibet, the Dalai Lama was actively pursuing policies that would have reformed Tibet and made it a democratic state with him as constitutional head of state, much like the UK is.
I am sick and tired of Chinese apologists trying to paint the Dalai Lama as a supporter of a theocratic dictatorship.
By HoniSoit
I am sick and tired of Chinese apologists trying to paint the Dalai Lama as a supporter of a theocratic dictatorship.

And to add to that, whatever one thinks of Dalai Lama - and you can like or dislike him - supporting greater autonomy and when it's possible independence for Tibet is not predicated on supporting Dalai Lama or his government in exile.
By hussainmehdi
dalai lama is a product of slavory,
dalai lama is an advertisement of the west,
dalai lama is a loud speaker of human rights, broadcasted from the west,
dalai lama is a japanese toy, technologically invented in the west,
dalai lama is a crop just like narcotic of afghanistan,
dalai lama is a knife to divide chinese nation,
dalai lama is a virus to infect chinese minds and hearts,
dalai lama is a symbol of disturbance,
dalai lama is an okayer of violence,

dalai lama talks about human rights but his political life can not continue until he does not ignite divisions and violence in china,

dalai lama calls himself as religious personality and protector of human rights, but i have never heard his voice for human rights violations in various parts of the world except tibet, this shows his selfishness and faulty thoughts.

dalai lama concentrate on tibet because he has been produced for tibet,
dalai lama is a wheel of western vehicle,
dalai lama is a spare part of western machinery,
dalai lama is a robot specifically developed for tibet, if you ask questions other than tibet, you will find this robot silent,

dalai lama is a pill of vitamins for the west.
By Okonkwo
hussainmehdi wrote:dalai lama is a loud speaker of human rights, broadcasted from the west,

How dare he, right?

hussainmehdi wrote:dalai lama is a symbol of disturbance,

That is definitely the most ridiculous statement on this list, followed by
hussainmehdi wrote:dalai lama is an okayer of violence,

His Holiness has repeatedly refuted calls for violent opposition against the Chinese occupation. He is a Buddhist and hence a believer in non-violence.

hussainmehdi wrote:i have never heard his voice for human rights violations in various parts of the world

Then you obviously don't listen. The Dalai Lama has participated in many events hosted by such figures as Bishop Desmond Tutu and discussed such issues as human rights and oppression.
It is only natural for him to put the tragic fate of his own people before that of everybody else. You could level the same criticism against Mahatma Gandhi or Dr. King and it would be as inaccurate.
By hussainmehdi
dalai lama is a loud speaker of human rights, broadcasted from the west,
How dare he, right?

because, he sits in western nest and weeps for eastern tree???
what is this?
a multi-production project?

dalai lama is a symbol of disturbance,
That is definitely the most ridiculous statement on this list, followed by

No, this is not ridiculous but you see it as ridiculous,
its not you,
because if i dont know alphabet, how can i identify a..b..c...?
i can only guess,
guess is not power, guess is parachute,

and, dalai lama is your parachute,

dalai lama is an okayer of violence,
His Holiness has repeatedly refuted calls for violent opposition against the Chinese occupation. He is a Buddhist and hence a believer in non-violence.

yes, you are right,
holiness always says; "please ... no violence"
the same way as bush said once: "katrina! please do not circle around potatos"

are you really so simple that you believe what both say?

i have never heard his voice for human rights violations in various parts of the world

Then you obviously don't listen. The Dalai Lama has participated in many events hosted by such figures as Bishop Desmond Tutu and discussed such issues as human rights and oppression.
It is only natural for him to put the tragic fate of his own people before that of everybody else. You could level the same criticism against Mahatma Gandhi or Dr. King and it would be as inaccurate.

yes, you are again right,
saddam also participated in various events in paris and jeddah...once,

mahatma gandhi was at the status where lamas cant reach,
so, your comparision is inaccurate,
gandhi never sat in the west to weep louder for the east,

dalai lama is an artificial personality, solely created for artificial events.
By hussainmehdi
ok wo,
you disqualify me because you have a belief that you have a status where i can not compete with your qualities,
at the same time, you do not disqualify dalai lama ?

do you know the difference between genuineness and necessity ?

genuineness demands necessity? or,
necessity demands genuineness?
By Watermoon
hussainmehdi. what part of China are you from? I am from east, actually I think we are okay with Tibet or without Tibet. But I go to military forums and Sichuang forums(tibet's neighbours) they really anti-Dalai lama a lot. I dont care the western say under PRC there is no human right, what I care is would lead to wars between Tibet and Sichuang province?(Sichuang people say they scare of Tibetians and dislike them). What is your view? And without Tibet, would we threatened by India? And how about Tibet ruled as the Hongkong?
By hussainmehdi
do not say that you are okay without your tibet,
do not say that you are okay without your beauty,
do not say that you are okay without your intelligence,
do not say that you are okay without your sky and your land,

do not loose your proud because west says so,

when china was dying due to poverty and hunger just few decades ago,
who came to assist china?
who came to help china?
who shared even a piece of bread with china?
who?

No One,
they all...champions of human rights...watched china dying from the distance,
thousands of chines died...

Sichuang people do not scare of tibetians,
but they dislike those agents who have been fixed in tibet to create hatred and disturbances,

why tibet should be ruled as hongkong?
why not ireland should be ruled as hongkong?
why tibet only?

india/bharat is not a problem,
bharat can never attack china,
dozens of arab states can not attack israel, why?
this is the responsibility of chinese leadership to create a situation that is favorable for chinese people,
and, up to now, chinese leadership has done best in the available circumstances,

china is china,
china should remain china,
without cut and paste.
By Watermoon
:eek: I notice you becuase of your writing type. :) Yeah, I think what you try to express is very clear. Actually I think what the west now doing is just let China put more money in military force.
By hussainmehdi
who is chinese military?

chinese military did not come from mars,
chinese military represents majority of chinese people,
they all are sons and daughters of china,
they all came from chinese soil and they all will return to chinese soil leaving china in the hands of proud next generation of chinese people, as they took over from the previous generation and accomplished their job and developed china,

its natural,

so, there is no division between chinese military and chinese people,
the progress of chinese military is the progress of chinese people,

they all represent china,
and this is the progress of china.

Do you agree then the conflict did not start in 1[…]

How is this thread still not deleted? today - […]

How so? The only source documenting Abraham's exi[…]

Turkey should accept them, they have money and ar[…]