"Only Nixon could go to China." - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Three interesting facts about modern China-

1. China graduates about 50,000 scientists a year, while the U.S. has a total of about 50,000 scientists (who have been mostly ignored the last 8 years).

2. About one third of the Chinese belong to their middle class, and by 2012 it might be half their huge population (middle class defined as able to afford food, a used small house and a used small car).

3. Their one child per family policy might prevent future starvation during droughts, especially with the current trade imbalance with the US and Europe.

I'm not sure how Mao affected modern China other than his meetings with Nixon which began more international trade, but I am interested in any opinions about this.

One interesting fact about South Korea- Consumer Reports has rated one of their factory's small cars their top pick for the last two years- "The best small sedan is the Hyundai Elantra SE because of its price and reliability".
By HoniSoit
1. China graduates about 50,000 scientists a year, while the U.S. has a total of about 50,000 scientists (who have been mostly ignored the last 8 years).

Not all of the 50,000 science graduates will be scientists. Also you have to take into account facilities and resources for scientific research and development which China is not about to surpass US any time soon.

2. About one third of the Chinese belong to their middle class, and by 2012 it might be half their huge population (middle class defined as able to afford food, a used small house and a used small car).

And the other two thirds are earning low wages and facing unemployment or the threat of it at the moment.

3. Their one child per family policy might prevent future starvation during droughts, especially with the current trade imbalance with the US and Europe.

The one-child policy has also created no small gender imbalance which could be a destablising factor in the years to come.

I'm not sure how Mao affected modern China other than his meetings with Nixon which began more international trade, but I am interested in any opinions about this.

Obviously, Mao and the Chinese Communist Party has affected modern China tremendously in so many aspects that I don't know where to begin.

One interesting fact about South Korea- Consumer Reports has rated one of their factory's small cars their top pick for the last two years- "The best small sedan is the Hyundai Elantra SE because of its price and reliability".

Thank you for the tip? :eh:
By Jeff in Kentucky
Sure, the Chinese have a lot more poor people, but their middle class is expanding, while the middle class in the U.S. and some other countries is getting smaller.

I would like to support Detroit, but for the two small SUVs that we bought, Toyota and Nissan beat the competition from the American companies, and the Chevy Tracker is a rebadged Japanese Suzuki. The Chevy Aveo small low budget car is made in South Korea, with very poor ratings by all the magazines I have seen.

I agree with the rest of the replies, so no reason to debate them further.
By Jeff in Kentucky
I think we need to support innovation and buy the best products available, so the companies building low quality products go out of business, and the better companies have more sales and more money to invest in even better products. I would buy a Hyundai I was in the market for a small car, because it is the best for a fair price, not because of where it is made.

A lot of scientists does not make a country evil- I think it is when leaders order their soldiers to invade other countries and attack their own citizens without just cause. To me, evil within a country is also when the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, and China is now doing the opposite, although they have a long way to go to catch up to the most advanced countries such as Norway and Denmark with a high minimum wage and enough taxes to provide health care for all, and to provide a public college education for those who want to study and have the mental ability to pass tests.

If the United Nations gets stronger, no nation would be invaded, because of the punishments for the attacker by several other countries.
By Exordium
The rise of China as the new hegemon is a wonderful phenomena for the world, despite what we are told. China is an ancient and cultured society, and it deserves, more than anything, to be the true centre of global affairs, just as it has been in the world known to it for milennia.

The only stumbling block I can see is if the U.S seeks to build a coalition of powers hostile to China, akin to the Congress of Europe or Detente.
By Teen Politican
One important thing which will prevent China from developing is energy.
Our energy efficiency is still very low comparing to some advanced countries.If we don't make changes,our rising legend will come to the end one day.

A millennial who went to college in his 30s when […]

Zionism was never a religious movement basing i[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting video on why Macron wants to deploy F[…]

https://x.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1801949727069[…]