Beijing vs Rebels - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Even though I'm American, I do agree with the "One country, two systems" theory that is implemented.

If it was just the government of China themselves talking all this One country two system, then I wouldn't give a shit. But then, it's the Chinese people who still view Taiwanese people as part of China. China is my motherland after all, just like how American italians' view Italy as motherland.

Americans did a similiar thing when the passed anti-secession laws preventing any part of the US to break away during the times of the Civil War, so i don't get why China can't do the same.

People would often refer to America's roots and beginnings as to why US might support Taiwan as US declared independent themselves. But, China is not mistreating Taiwan, in fact, many Taiwanese businessmen and merchants depend on China for their vast enterprises. Look at the anti-secession law. It just totally makes no sense why should any part of land be allowed to break apart from the mother country?

Yes Taiwan has always been part of China. I don't understand where the idea of even when the Nationalists fled to Taiwan at the time, it was not declared as part of China. Then, I'd go back to a similar scenario in the US. Remember the Wild West Days? American explorers took over Native American lands, but they argue that the land should be theirs because they 'explored' it. Well thats great, so the same should be said about how Taiwan has always been part of China.

China will get crushed in a war? Oh I'm not too sure about that. You never know what the Chinese have in reserve. Any country would be a fool to go to war with China.

Oh and by the way, the anti-secession bill passed by China clearly states that nonpeaceful means (i.e. force) will be used ONLY if all other peaceful means are exhausted. Sounds like China has a point to make.
By Boondock Saint
Hardly a news a article, you have recieved a pm from me. Moved to Asia.
By Comrade Ogilvy
America will beat down China if it invades Taiwan. China will not invade Taiwan though because they cannot successfully defeat the U.S. navy and they will lose all economic investment which is vital to developing the country. If investment stops, unemployment in China will skyrocket and you will get mass social unrest.

The PRC is a pathetic and horrible fascist regime which may not have Taiwan, unless the Taiwanese choose to join her. That they will not do until the PRC is no more, and the Chinese people have self-determination, i.e., democracy.

Americans will gladly kill Red Chinese to protect Taiwan.
By Panderlate_Politics
US wont do a thing to China.

The Chinese army has far more men and its superior weapons compared to Taiwan's is well-documented.

Taiwan can shut their little puny traphole because the US approves of the One Country Two system idea by the Chinese.

With US out of the way, i don't see any other country in the world that is threatening to China other than US.

That said, USA WILL NOT protect Taiwan. If Taiwan's attitude is rebellious and revolting, well I guess they can kiss their sorry-arses goodbye because they belong to China, and China will be more than willing to create economical blockades, or perhaps even attack Taiwan.Invading Taiwan will mean China is just ruffling feathers. End of story

Chen Shui Bian can go to h....

Pro-indepence Taiwanese are just the embarassment and shame of the Chinese people. Their ruining the Pride of China, and as such, I can't see any other loser in this situation other than Taiwan (and of course the other useless allies, because the end of the day, USA wont side with Taiwan in a dispute scenario)
By Ombrageux
In the case that Taiwan does not declare independence, America has made it clear who it will support in case of conflict. It will stand by Taiwan. China knows this and so will not force the issue as conflict between China and the United States would be terrible for all. Especially for China. America has a far and away superior navy, the battleground would be Chinese not American waters and America has far better intercontinental ballistics capability. China will not invade Taiwan knowing that America will fight.

In the event that Taiwan declares independence, the US stance may change. The US may not support such a rash ally. If Taiwan declares independence, the US might grudgingly accept a Chinese invasion.

Taiwan should join China, but not just yet. Only after China reforms to include democracy and civil rights should Taiwan join China. I might support a "1 country 2 systems" proposal, assuming it gives Taiwan (like Hong Kong) a long period (50-100 years) of constitutional (the euphemism is Basic Law) independence. We would then hope that China reforms between now and the time the Basic Law expires.
By Timkunming
America has as many face as China. First, Dick Cheney came to China last year and spoke at the university on television. He said US follows the One-China Policy. So why do they continue to sell weapons to Taiwan? America fought against communist governments for many years, now they biggest trading country is a communist government, that is China. America would be foolish to help Taiwan in this case. They are now in the problem where they always say democracy, liberty, freedom, but cannot live without China.
By jxsilicon9
US would not declare war on china because it would be a world war plus nukes. Plus Russia might step in cause China is one of their weapons importers. As far as weapons go US would win at sea and air because of the f-22 and aegis ship. Plus China has no submarines that could challenge US submarines. But as far as icbms go both US in China basically has the same kind of icbms it would come down to icbm defenses. Russia is set to sell China a whole bunch of advanced air and naval weapons and has bragged about having world superior icbm defenses and icbms that could break US shields. Right now US would win but after China gets even more weapons its basically a coin toss. But no one also knows what China has except what they list.
By Todd
The U.S. only pays lip service to the One-China Policy: House International Relations Committee (2004) James A. Kelly: “I don’t really define it [One-China Policy]…I can tell you what it is not. It is not the One-China principle that Beijing suggests.”

As for supierior weapons on China's side? What are you talking about? A few Sukhoi-27s hidden in a mess of 70s era MiGs? As China stands right now, they do not have the means of transporting a force large enough to take the island against Taiwan alone or Taiwan and the U.S.
By fastspawn
I really don't get it, why people keep insisting that china does not have the means to transport their troops across a straits.
Firstly, will a land invasion ever occur, or will it be as China always seem to insinuate a war fought using missiles and hackers to bring down the entire defense grid of taiwan.
Secondly, why the hell does China want to transport their entire armed forces to that island? they probably can't squeeze into it. China might be 50 years behind the US military, but 50 years ago US managed to transport their troops across 2 oceans.
By jxsilicon9
China would only need to transport about 1-3 million troops and they have the transports for that. China would never transport their entire army. But they could transfer a few million different places. And who said China has superior weapons they buy most of their weapons from other countries and mass produce them. They could develop their own advanced weapons but they only develop a few. Their couldn't be a ladn invasion into china it would just be air and land like japan in ww2. But unlike ww2 japan. China has nukes also so they wont just surrender to nukes when they have the same capability. I dont think the US would declare war on China because of the complications with it. But US would supply Taiwan with everything.
By Todd
China would only need to transport about 1-3 million troops and they have the transports for that.

Only 1-3 million troops? Last I read they only had the capacity to transport 15,000 by naval transports and a comparable amount by air transports. This was from globalsecurity.org which may be a more realiable source than the Beijing media.
By fastspawn
jxsilicon i have no idea why u present the figure 1-3 million. At present China is trimming down their manpower and they are just around 2 right at present.

I postulize that since taiwan is a conscript army and all that, china would probably need to land a 100k troops on the coast. That would be a very large operation indeed.

from what i understand about the last calculation done, it was way back in the 90s, and much has changed since then. China has made a large effort to modernize their navy and air force, and have done much with their missile force.

And i would think a amphibious landing is so passe. They can probably knock out most of Taiwan without landing a soldier on their shores.
By jxsilicon9
Taiwan would need US to gain is independence otherwise China would take the island. But i doubt China will want it if the taiwans resist with terrorist bombings,etc. China does have plenty of transports and a big airforce. Unless US gives Taiwan f-22 or probaly jsf then they will most likely get defeated in the sky. Plus China plans to buy more weapons from Russia and they are doing scenarios. Russia seems like they are only giving China more advanced weapons because of the money they get from China.

@Rancid When the Republicans say the justice […]

:lol: ‘Caracalla’ and ‘Punic’, @FiveofSwords .[…]

Current Jewish population estimates in Mexico com[…]

Ukraine stands with Syrian rebels against Moscow- […]