A question - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Freedom
This is an interesting question i heard asked once:

Who is the better person: Bill Gates or Mother Teresa?
By Boondock Saint
Nothing Mother Teresa ever did led to suffering for other people. (at least not that I know of)

There is no comparison. A person who gives all their life to helping of others is not a person who can be compared to others. There are few humans who could come close to Mother Teresa and Bill Gates is no where near a drop of sweat off her brow.
By Comrade Ogilvy
Bill Gates was a guy that started a computer based company to get rich and did, if it wasn't him it would have been someone else.

Mother Theresa helped people for the sole reason of helping them, if it wasn't her it would have been someone else.

I vote for Mother Theresa.
By Siberian Fox
I assume the reason for the comparison is the trust fund that Bill Gates set up, and thus the possible argument that Bill Gates has helped more people. What that forgets however is that Bill Gates support for developing countries abiding by international copyright laws (to protect his software) has also killed thousands of people by denying them access to cheap drugs.

Mother Theresa :angel:
By Freedom
The argument(i'll try and find the article...) for Bill Gates is this: How many people would be poorer without him? How much has his software etc raised the standard of living of a huge amount of the worlds population? Poor countries have Mother Teresa types-but they all lack a Bill Gates type?

For those who would answer Bill Gates, they'd ask who has in real terms benfited more of humanity?

The argument that it would have been someone else irrelevant as if it wasnt Mother Teresa it would be someone else ;)
By Kov
Freedom... the sad thing is that many of my Comrades saw the same BBC movie you are talking about ;)

Keep in mind all that said bad things about people that dont belive in capitalisum where those with money... they did not interview men on the street, did they?
By Comrade Ogilvy
for Bill Gates is this: How many people would be poorer without him? How much has his software etc raised the standard of living of a huge amount of the worlds population? Poor countries have Mother Teresa types-but they all lack a Bill Gates type?

For those who would answer Bill Gates, they'd ask who has in real terms benfited more of humanity?

Is materialism and buying power the only benefit he offered or did he really do something of some substance. How many people whose buying power was enhanced by computer technology was really that bad off in the first place?. Aren't there other jobs that don't involve computers. You seem to forget that Microsoft also dominates the market, some say through unfair business practices.

If they suppress other software companies that could potentially benefit peoples buying power wouldn't that also suppress their power to do so. wouldn't it somewhat negate the positive impact of Microsoft or is this forgiveable?

If the modern definition of benifitting humanity is that now more people can afford that HUMVEE they had their eye on, we really have come a long way from something.

I have no problem with capitalism and enhancing my buying power but when we are making comparisons like Bill Gates vs. Mother Teresa they are playing on two dofferent ball fields of "benifiting humanity"
By Nox
Freedom wrote:This is an interesting question i heard asked once:

Who is the better person: Bill Gates or Mother Teresa?

I agree with the above poster (Rickshaw) and will add this thought:

Knowing how the Roman Catholic Church always tries to get something back for everything its gives (the concept of no free lunch), I have trouble believing that Theresa was totally altruistic. I wonder what was the price paid for her help? Perchance ... conversion from Hindu beliefs to Roman Catholocism? What happens to the person helped when they return to their family? Are they supposed to convert too? Is the new convert rejected by their family?

I think it's too simplistic to say Mother Theresa = Good.

Methinks there is far more to this story than just someone demonstrating altruism.

Nox
By Freedom
the sad thing is that many of my Comrades saw the same BBC movie you are talking about

I'm pretty sure i read this somewere i just cant find the damned piece.

Likewise, the human being themselves is a physica[…]

I don't find it surprising mainstream media will a[…]

You couldn't make this up

Pro-Israel Recipients Money from Pro-Israe[…]

It's not an inference that Hamas wants to kill be[…]