Octopuses, crabs, lobsters recognised as "sentient beings" in UK... but not fetuses - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Octopuses, crabs, and lobsters will be recognized as 'sentient beings' in UK after a review concluded they feel pain and distress

A review of 300 studies concluded there is strong evidence some invertebrates are sentient.
The UK government is updating an animal welfare law to includes octopuses, crabs, and lobsters.
The review defined sentience as "the capacity to have feelings, such as feelings of pain, pleasure, hunger, thirst, warmth, joy, comfort and excitement."

Octopuses, crabs, and lobsters will be recognized as sentient beings under UK animal welfare laws after a review concluded there is strong evidence they are capable of feelings.

"I'm pleased to see the government implementing a central recommendation of my team's report," said Jonathan Birch, a professor at LSE who works on the Foundations of Animal Sentience Project​

Lobsters, octopus and crabs recognised as sentient beings - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Octopuses and lobsters have feelings – include them in sentience bill, urge MPs | Animals | The Guardian
This was just announced 2 days ago, November 19, 2021
Octopuses, Crabs, Lobsters Recognized As 'Sentient Beings' in UK (businessinsider.com)
https://www.businessinsider.com/octopus ... 021-11?amp

Question: If crabs and lobsters are recognised as "sentient beings", shouldn't human fetuses be too??

Why are those on the Progressive Left so touchy-feely with zoological creatures, but deny that human fetuses inside a pregnant woman have any humanity or rights?
This is not an argument. It's a really stupid comparison. Pro-lifers sure are fucking desperate, when they think this is ANY sort of argument for their willful misogyny, and wanting to take rights away from women, by Incels and other losers.

I doubt you even know what the word sentient means:
- able to perceive or feel things.

Them recognizing octopus, crabs and lobsters as "sentient" isn't going to stop them from eating them. Cows, pigs and chickens are sentient. We kill/eat them.

Is this "Start A Stupid Thread" day, for you? :lol:
Puffer Fish wrote:

Question: If crabs and lobsters are recognised as "sentient beings", shouldn't human fetuses be too??

Nope.

The brain hasn't developed, and won't until near the end of the pregnancy. The vast majority of mental development happens after birth. There's a reason for that, hips...
AFAIK wrote:
I'm pro-life after it is possible to determine the sex of the fetus.

Before then I must own the libs.

That makes no sense.

Trashy, hyperbolic, slavery reference... you can try to disagree, but that's not a good start at doing it. You are prob going to say it's a joke, but normalising racism isn't funny..
World War II Day by Day

May 14, Tuesday Germany takes Holland At dawn[…]

The war in Ukraine is entering its third year, wit[…]

Somehow this is the CIA's fault. I'm sure. Wel[…]

I saw just recently they spent $8 million on atte[…]